U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 08:39 PM

13 posts, read 36,377 times

Advertisements

DH was recently transferred to Cincinnati. I'm staying back, sadly with 2 feet of snow until our house sells. In the meantime, I am doing some research online and Shaker Run looks very nice. Homes in a variety of prices, walking trails and golf. Is this area nice?

I'm trying to focus on the areas of Lebanon, South Lebanon, Mason and West Chester. I like the idea of a newer 1 story home somewhere in the area of 250,000 - 275,000. Some of the townships appeal to me, but can't even begin to guess which one is better.

Any areas that you can direct me to that has the walking trails, newer homes and nice safe and quiet suburbs, maybe even golf. Also...this may not be our forever home, so re-sale is very important, just in case.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 02:59 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Shaker Run is surrounded by what is still a quite rural area. It may have a Lebanon mailing address, but I do not believe the city limits extend that far, though I could be wrong. Shaker Run Golf Course is rated one of the best, if not the best, public golf courses in Ohio. It was originally built by Armco Steel (now AK Steel) in Middletown as their vision of a competitor to the highly rated NCR courses in Dayton, the corporate prestige factor. I believe what you are seeing are the subdivisions which have grown up around or close to the golf course after the ownership changed hands. I play golf there reasonably frequently and would say the immediate area is nice, certainly safe, but a little remote. Expect a little drive for shopping, etc. As a location to raise a family, I would rate it very good. In this current down real estate market, there are bargains to be had.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:32 AM

3,751 posts, read 10,211,776 times
Shaker Run has to be outside the actual city limits of Lebanon, but may have Lebanon schools (which have been rated excellent, but this year just missed that cut). I think its probably a little closer to Franklin/Springboro in terms of actual location. You'd be fairly convenient to I-75 which would help with whatever commute you may have into Cincy.

We live in a similar neighborhood (Non-golfcourse) in Turtle Creek Twp., just outside of Lebanon and while we bought at a reasonable price, many of our neighbors are underwater significantly due to differences between prices at the peak (2005/2006) and today.

Simply put, no one is really looking for $300k+ houses right now. So, most of the neighborhoods that were $300+ are now $200+ --- you can certainly get some great deals.

Definitely wouldn't commit to anything without checking it out, but in some of the neighborhoods you may even be able to find rentals (there was 1 rental in our neighborhood) which would let you get used to the area and really see which neighborhood you liked before you purchased, while still living in a house.

good luck with the relo -- we just moved here from out of state in late 2007/early 2008 -so I know how stressful relos can be!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:01 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
One resource I would recommend using are the various county websites containing real estate information. For any home other than quite old which has not been resold, you can see the sales history, dates and prices, tax history, evaluation and tax amounts. You can readily see the evaluation increases during the boom years, and now the bust. Very soon the first half taxes for 2010 should be posted. I find it very useful to compare other properties in the immediate area.

Since I am retired, I use the resource to evaluate what is happening close to where I live. In the newer subdivisions, it is quite obvious some properties have been foreclosed and forced to Sheriff's Auction. In Ohio, the minimum auction bid is 2/3 of the appraisal amount, in many cases identical to the last true value on the tax records. In a lot of cases the only minimum bidder is the actual mortgage holder. In many cases I see where a few months later the property is sold below the minimum auction amount. It is not a case of taking advantage of other people's woes, but the market conditions. For many years real estate gave the false impression it was invincible. Do such stupid things as interest only loans - don't worry you can sell it for more than you paid for it, thereby gaining.

I cannot see how anyone would purchase property today without taking advantage of the free information on the county websites to thoroughly investigate what is going on in that neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati