Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2010, 12:26 PM

279 posts, read 717,545 times

Advertisements

Can streetcars save America's cities? - CNN.com

CNN article about it...

Old 12-17-2010, 12:56 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
Here's the money quote from that article:

Quote:
But not everyone is a fan of streetcars. "This is a waste of money," said Ron Utt of The Heritage Foundation.
"Streetcars certainly create jobs, but they are a poor investment and create little lasting value," he said. "Because it requires extensive ongoing subsidies, it is also unsustainable. Improving roads would be the better bet in most communities."
CNN iReporter Raymond Becich is a supporter. "Sure, Portland paid incentives to businesses to build along the streetcar (line)," he said. "But how is this any different than any governmental jurisdiction giving tax breaks and other incentives for businesses to relocate to a city or state?"

Old 12-17-2010, 02:07 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,971 times
Portland no longer subsidizes developers. They fight for lots and fixing roads is a bandaid fix. We should be relieving the amount of vehicles traveling on the roads.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:53 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
I just ran to the bank this morning that would've been on the route and if it was already up and running - that would've been one less car on the road.
OK, just for yucks... Let's assume that the trolley car holds 40 people. I am also assuming that they are not going to dig up enough roads to put in parallel tracks. So, one trolley going back and forth through no man 's land. How many riders would this accommodate? Is it worth tearing up the road?

Just buy a damn bus that looks like a trolley like they use for tours in some cities. https://www.oldsavannahtours.com/

So, when the ridership goes to Hell, (and it will) they could use the trolley/buses for the Queen City Tour.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:58 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
OK, just for yucks... Let's assume that the trolley car holds 40 people. I am also assuming that they are not going to dig up enough roads to put in parallel tracks. So, one trolley going back and forth through no man 's land. How many riders would this accommodate? Is it worth tearing up the road?

Just buy a damn bus that looks like a trolley like they use for tours in some cities. https://www.oldsavannahtours.com/

So, when the ridership goes to Hell, (and it will) they could use the trolley/buses for the Queen City Tour.
Those don't stimulate growth or get used by much......there a mockery of PT. An average Streetcar or Tram holds about 200-300 ppl , and your system would use a set of single tracks traveling on different streets and parallel tracks aswell. Philly has at least 20 miles of streetcar tracks .....there replacing and restoring about 40 miles.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:22 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,971 times
^ I was going to say... 40 people??? Lol... And that no man's land you speak of has probably the most residential development happening outside of the Banks.

Mike, I love your post! They really make us fruitcakes look good! ;-)

Old 12-18-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Actually, that assumption would be wrong. The United Streetcar junkass trolley only seats 29 people. Anyone else riding on the contraption will have his sweaty butt in your face because he will be standing in front of where you are seated (if you are lucky enough to get a seat). I'm sure that there are a lot of potential riders who would rather stand up than sit anyway, right?

EDIT:

Actually, if you have to ride it, standing might be better than one of the 29 butt sniffing seats.

EDIT:

Don't forget to buckle up.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:42 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Actually, that assumption would be wrong. The United Streetcar junkass trolley only seats 29 people. Anyone else riding on the contraption will have his sweaty butt in your face because he will be standing in front of where you are seated (if you are lucky enough to get a seat). I'm sure that there are a lot of potential riders who would rather stand up than sit anyway, right?

EDIT:

Actually, if you have to ride it, standing might be better than one of the 29 butt sniffing seats.

EDIT:

Don't forget to buckle up.
Wilson... You sure you are right on this? 29 people seated? I swear I have a neighbor with a huge GM van which seats more than that.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Wilson... You sure you are right on this? 29 people seated? I swear I have a neighbor with a huge GM van which seats more than that.

Just like I have been saying for months. It weighs 80,000 pounds and seats 29. You could have 15 vans for that weight. And for the same price of one car you could have 100 vans. Not stripped down models.

Its the only US manufacturer and it is the unit that was on Fountain Square:

United Streetcar 200 | United Streetcar

Old 12-18-2010, 07:10 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Just like I have been saying for months. It weighs 80,000 pounds and seats 29. You could have 15 vans for that weight. And for the same price of one car you could have 100 vans. Not stripped down models.

Its the only US manufacturer and it is the unit that was on Fountain Square:

United Streetcar 200 | United Streetcar
Yea, I took at look at the specs. 29 seated and 127 standing. Now who in their right mind is going to consistently take this ride standing? Of course at my age I wouldn't take it the first time standing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati