Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:15 PM

62 posts, read 298,176 times

Advertisements

We're in our 4th year here now, and I would agree that the condition of the roads in Cincinnati -- particularly on the west site -- are less than desirable.

However, I also agree with the serious effect that our freeze-thaw cycle AND clay soil have on this situation -- it definitely plays a role.

It's hard to compare our roads here to the road conditions back in New Jersey -- because I think New Jersey might be an anomaly; that is, NJ roads are almost always in GREAT condition. Part of that is due to the extremely high taxes people pay in New Jersey (one of the main reasons we left) -- you do sometimes get something for your money ;-)

One thing that I've yet to figure out is why it seems that Cincinnati often waits until the end-of-the-year (cold!) to begin some of their major road construction projects. Maybe it's a budget issue -- not sure.

One thing that drives me a little nuts is how some streets seems to get better maintenance than others -- the roads in Hyde Park are generally in much better condition than in the Western Hills. There are a couple of streets in particular -- Montana and Ferguson come to mind -- that often feel like they're really beating up on your vehicle. Not sure why those heavily-traveled streets aren't maintained better -- reason for Montana could be the new "road diet" (very welcome and highly-anticipated by Westwood residents) that is schedule for that road...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 06:19 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
If you complain about a pothole, it will be filled, sometimes in hours. And, you can do it online:

City of Cincinnati - Request a City Service (http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/pubsrv/pages/-4267-/ - broken link)
I was amazed and pleasantly surprised at the promptness and politeness of the people dealing with the service calls. Every time I requested a service online and left my phone number, I was called back within several hours.

Oh, and about potholes, etc. ... You want to see bad roads, you come visit me in Philadelphia. My daily commute to work will knock out your fillings.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:48 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I was amazed and pleasantly surprised at the promptness and politeness of the people dealing with the service calls. Every time I requested a service online and left my phone number, I was called back within several hours.

Oh, and about potholes, etc. ... You want to see bad roads, you come visit me in Philadelphia. My daily commute to work will knock out your fillings.

Cincinnati's potholes are caused by the repeated freezing and thawing all winter compared with places that are frozen from December to March. This, combined with the slippery clay underneath the asphalt which is kept from freezing by the asphalt which is heated by the sun gives us some really bad potholes too. I guess Philly has about the same conditions except for the clay.

This "complaint driven" thing is hard for a lot of East Coast folks to get used to. My brother lives near Philly and when I was visiting him last Summer, there was an abandoned car in front of the supermarket where he shops and he was telling me that he was on hold for half an hour trying to report it and gave up. But, on the other hand, those places put their compliance money in having inspectors cruise around and look for stuff. In the best run cities this is the way to go. Unfortunately, in most places, the inspectors become complacent or worse and nothing gets done.

I complained online about some drywall a neighbor put out on the sidewalk recently and the City was picking it up by lunch time of the same day. So it does work here. Glad you were happy with Cincinnati's response.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:35 AM

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

When the city rebuilt my street in the early 90s -- only a few months after I'd bought my house -- an incorrectly angled curb on the downhill side of my driveway sent stormwater into everyone's front yards. I called to complain. I came home from work the next day to see arrows sprayed in the street pointing to my curb. The day after that, the curb was removed. The third day, the curb was replaced and angled correctly.

My new neighbors were all asking "Who do you know down at City Hall?"

Quote:
those places put their compliance money in having inspectors cruise around and look for stuff.
The "inspectors" are usually found at the local diner. *stinkeye*

Old 01-20-2010, 07:22 PM

269 posts, read 778,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Maybe I will come visit you.....(Just kidding). But anyway, I haven't been to Philly in about 3 years but I do seem to remember the area having some of the worst roads on my drive in the area. Delaware was pretty bad too if I remember correctly. To cap on what jersey_too_expensive said, I remember for sure that the roads dramatically increased in quality once I crossed the NJ border. The turnpike was amazing, looked like roads you would see in Europe. I love the retro variable-message signs Jersey uses on their freeways also.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:19 AM

The problem with Jersey is that you can get over there for free, but you have to pay to get out.

What if there were bridge tolls between Ohio and Kentucky?

Old 01-22-2010, 08:30 PM

392 posts, read 1,068,459 times
Those who complain about Cincinnati roads have obviously never driven in Construction-burgh, Pennsylvania. I side with Ohiogirl81 about Philly's streets as well. It's pretty much a PA thing.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:28 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
As bad as the roads are on our side of the river, the area I hate most is the strtch of I-71 in Boone Co., KY...MAN, there are some big potholes in the right lane. I try to have whatever food/drink I'm consuming gone before I get there... As for that sink hole on I-75, that's in a construction zone where they've shifted the lanes during the widening of the highway. I was lucky to just sneak by the moning they started the repair work...

Old 01-24-2010, 12:34 AM

392 posts, read 1,068,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
As bad as the roads are on our side of the river, the area I hate most is the strtch of I-71 in Boone Co., KY...MAN, there are some big potholes in the right lane. I try to have whatever food/drink I'm consuming gone before I get there... As for that sink hole on I-75, that's in a construction zone where they've shifted the lanes during the widening of the highway. I was lucky to just sneak by the moning they started the repair work...
My personal favorite is the area near the Cut-in-the-Hill on 71/75. THAT stretch is enough to give anyone a new sunroof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: