Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:42 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,297 times

Advertisements

Why not live in Clifton? Drive around in the area north of the intersection of Clifton Ave and Ludlow Ave and see what you think. It's a really nice area with some really great parks (and the Cincinnati Zoo) nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:55 PM

10 posts, read 44,994 times
Does anyone ever mention North Avondale or St. Bernard for anyone's moving recommendations?

I live in North Avondale now and my street is extremely quiet. 8 minute drive to and from work

And St. Bernard is cool. Close to both interstates, and not to much of a drive to go north or south in the 275 loop. Extremely kid friendly.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:02 AM

120 posts, read 259,113 times
I vote West Colerain Township or White Oak (Green Township).

Old 01-21-2010, 08:59 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
You have quite a few reponses recommending areas all over the city, likely from people who already live there. This indicates to me a lot of Cincinnatians are very satisfied with where they live.

My advice is in addition to the neighborhood, pay a lot of attention to the specific property, particularly its infrastructure. Age and condition of roof, furnace and/or air conditioning, kitchen and bathrooms, these are the big ticket items. You cannot expect perfection, but as a new homeowner plus a new family the last thing you need are unexpected major expenses. A little elbow grease and sweat are fine when it comes to things like paint, even carpet, to freshen things up. Its the big items you want to avoid, unless the price of the property reflects they need replacement, and you are able to negotiate the repair into the mortgage.

Oh yes, request, no require copies of the utility bills, property taxes, etc. for the past couple of years so you can see what your total cost of ownership will be.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 11,294 times
Thanks so much everyone for all of your advice. I can definitely tell that there are a lot of people out there who really enjoy where they live, and that helps a lot as well. We were looking for personal experiences since there is a definite limit to what a Realtor can/will tell you.

We've actually live in Clifton in the past. We loved the ludlow area, and there are some really nice parts, but we do like more of a suburban feel. We are renting in Wyoming right now which we like, but buying here is a bit out of our price range for the kind of house we are looking for.

But, thanks to some of your recommendations, we've definitely found some contenders that we plan to go and check out over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
My advice is in addition to the neighborhood, pay a lot of attention to the specific property, particularly its infrastructure. Age and condition of roof, furnace and/or air conditioning, kitchen and bathrooms, these are the big ticket items. You cannot expect perfection, but as a new homeowner plus a new family the last thing you need are unexpected major expenses. A little elbow grease and sweat are fine when it comes to things like paint, even carpet, to freshen things up. Its the big items you want to avoid, unless the price of the property reflects they need replacement, and you are able to negotiate the repair into the mortgage.

Oh yes, request, no require copies of the utility bills, property taxes, etc. for the past couple of years so you can see what your total cost of ownership will be.

These are all great tips! I really never thought that we can require past utility bills or property taxes. That makes so much sense!

Thanks again!!

Old 01-21-2010, 01:05 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom-n-training View Post
We've actually live in Clifton in the past. We loved the ludlow area, and there are some really nice parts, but we do like more of a suburban feel. We are renting in Wyoming right now which we like, but buying here is a bit out of our price range for the kind of house we are looking for.
It seems as though a lot of West Side areas have a bit more of a suburban feel. You may look into Montfort Heights/White Oak (I've read that area is nice). Within the city limits, Mt Airy and Westwood also may be of interest to you. The Mt Airy forest (Cincinnati's largest park) is nearby. They're all a fairly short commute to Clifton.

If you're interested in Westwood, I'd focus on the western side of the neighborhood. English Woods, Fairmont, and Fay Apartments - two "pioneering neighborhoods" and a government housing project - border the east side of the neighborhood, and I understand that a bit of crime from those areas spills over into the East Westwood. The suburb of Cheviot borders the western side of Westwood and has much of the same feel as the Westwood neighborhood.

Delhi is another popular suburb, albeit a bit further out, it may be worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
The Hamilton County Auditor can give you property tax information on their website. Also, if you're able to find a recently renovated house in the City of Cincinnati, you can claim a 10-year tax abatement (definitely worth looking into).

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2010, 01:25 PM

230 posts, read 626,407 times
Originally from Cincinnati and are moving back shortly. I have a 3 year old and my wife and I wanted nice neighborhoods, good schools, and to not be far from downtown. Anderson Township was the answer. Established neighborhoods, GREAT public school system with private schools as well, and if you want quiet you are sure to find it. Plenty of everything you need and not far from anything else you can't find there.

Good luck to you and I wouldn't care one minute about what anyone may or may not think when I'm making decisions that I believe are in my childs best interest. If someone has a problem with that, THEY are the ones you don't really want to have anything to do with anyway.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:59 PM

269 posts, read 778,868 times
My situation sounds very similar to yours. Based on the criteria you stated, more than likely which ever area you choose, you will be surrounded by whites (which I don't have a porblem with). We also were looking for an area that is safe and quiet (unfortunately most of the "black areas" aren't) and contrary to the recommendations of some, we decided on Oakley; we like it here. While there basically isn't any diversity here, our neighbors were very welcoming and accepting. Wish you the best of luck on your choice.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 PM

19 posts, read 56,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
It seems as though a lot of West Side areas have a bit more of a suburban feel. You may look into Montfort Heights/White Oak (I've read that area is nice). Within the city limits, Mt Airy and Westwood also may be of interest to you. The Mt Airy forest (Cincinnati's largest park) is nearby. They're all a fairly short commute to Clifton.

If you're interested in Westwood, I'd focus on the western side of the neighborhood. English Woods, Fairmont, and Fay Apartments - two "pioneering neighborhoods" and a government housing project - border the east side of the neighborhood, and I understand that a bit of crime from those areas spills over into the East Westwood. The suburb of Cheviot borders the western side of Westwood and has much of the same feel as the Westwood neighborhood.

Delhi is another popular suburb, albeit a bit further out, it may be worth considering.

The Hamilton County Auditor can give you property tax information on their website. Also, if you're able to find a recently renovated house in the City of Cincinnati, you can claim a 10-year tax abatement (definitely worth looking into).

Good luck!

agreed! the west side is the best side.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:42 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
When I think "minority family" wants neighborhood with "kids playing in the yard," I just don't think Westwood. I know the Westwood Concern folks are probably gonna jump all over me but I just don't see it.

I think Greenhills was the best suggestion I heard above, except that there are no large yards there.

You would love Mt. Lookout, but price wise you will find it about the same as Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati