U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 06:11 PM

10 posts, read 19,847 times

Advertisements

Or family is relocating from Columbus soon for Hubby's residency at Children's hospital. I've been looking at the Anderson Twp area, but not set yet. We'll be renting. Our priorities are; good elementary schools, safe, large enough house for family of six, yard, activities, etc. We're looking for the shortest commute for the money.
So how is traffic to/from Anderson and how do the other suburbs compare?
Is craigslist my best bet for finding a rental home?
Any other recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 06:24 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,424,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhunny View Post
Or family is relocating from Columbus soon for Hubby's residency at Children's hospital. I've been looking at the Anderson Twp area, but not set yet. We'll be renting. Our priorities are; good elementary schools, safe, large enough house for family of six, yard, activities, etc. We're looking for the shortest commute for the money.
I can only recommend Mt. Lookout. Here is this mornings commute which I have coincidentally captured in video for my New Jersey cousins' amusement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScVYncKxQc8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHDtYiZ1D4I

This is the 8:30 AM commute to downtown on a normal weekday. I think I encountered less than 10 cars going my direction.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:08 PM

698 posts, read 1,427,770 times
Nice car Wilson!

Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,124,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhunny View Post
Every time I go there, it seems like Beachmont Ave is a bit of a nightmare, traffic-wise. Have you considered Mariemont? It'd be a bit closer to Children's Hospital in Corryville. If you'd be interested in looking within the City of Cincinnati, Mt Lookout and Hyde Park are great areas. East Walnut Hills, the East End, and Colombia Tusculum are some more great areas in the city. I understand that the schools in those parts of the city are pretty good, and there are some great private schools in the city as well.

As far as rental houses go, Craigslist might be your best bet. Cincyrents.com also has some decent rental house listings; you may look there as well.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:59 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,424,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Nice car Wilson!
Why thank you. The W126 is the best car ever made. Mine is 22 years old.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:52 AM

25 posts, read 64,329 times
Personally, I wouldn't want the commute from Anderson, but if you're looking for suburbia and good schools, it may be worth it to you. It's a very typical (dare I say white-bread) suburb, though, and you won't be able to walk anyplace. And as one poster pointed out, the traffic on Beechmont Avenue is horrendous - it's one of the worst areas in the city for high traffic volume. Because of its location, it's also difficult to get anywhere else. My brother and his family live there, and my brother is always complaining about the time it takes to get to other places around town.

You may want to think about Madeira, Mariemont or Blue Ash. They are all fairly close to Children's and all have excellent schools (Mariemont probably the best).

Their best features are the walkable neighborhoods--especially Mariemont--with Madeira a close second. I live very near Mariemont, and love taking walks up to the local art movie theatre, the ice cream shop and the coffee shop. My cousin's wife was a physician at Children's and they bought their first house in Mariemont. They had 3 kids and loved the area. All three areas are also very close to I-71 and Kenwood, so it's an easy commute just about anywhere in town.

Bottom line, it really depends on what type of neighborhood you're looking for. If it's newer houses and typical suburbia, stick with Anderson. But if you're looking for older, gracious, well-crafted homes and walkable neighborhoods, get in closer to the city in one of the areas listed above.

Flash, you mentioned Cincinnati, Mt Lookout, Hyde Park, East Walnut Hills, the East End, and Colombia Tusculum. While I love all those areas (and live in the city limits myself), they are all in the Cincinnati school district, which is struggling with its reputation right now.

Last edited by WhereForARt; 02-02-2010 at 05:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati