U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:55 PM

50 posts, read 143,109 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. Please do not take this thread as a "jab" at Cincinnati and it's residents. I love Cincinnati and I love the charm and hospitality the city has.

One thing I have been trying to figure out is why is it that a lot of people in Cincinnati panic at the mere possibility of snow. A woman I work with always call in sick when snow is predicted which ends up causing me to have to cover her paperwork. Schools and events get cancelled here before one flake falls from the sky. It seems like anything over a six inch snowfall literally shuts the city down. I never thought of Cincinnati to be a city that slows down because of snow. it's very surprising for me.

What I find weird is how the news stations here provide continuous coverage of the "snowstorms" that happen here. You would think this is somewhere in the deep south the way the news talks about snow. They talk about the snow, or predicted snow like a natural diaster is certain to unfold. And the weather anchors cannot predict snow around here to save their lives! They always overpredict, just as the "significant" snowstorm we were supposedly supposed to get hammered with is thus far playing out to be a dud.

I saw people stocking up on food at Meijer as if we're predicted to get up to two feet of snow like parts of the east coast. Why!

Oh, and when it does snow, clean the freakin' snow of your cars! I wish Ohio would make this a law.

I'm going to sleep now. I guess I'll wait and see if it's still raining (instead of snowing like predicted) when I wake up.

Again, please do not take offense to my statements. I just stating my observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 09:44 AM

29 posts, read 90,459 times
Yeah people always seem to over react, but I put most of the blame on the media. Whenever we get snow predicted it seems to take up half the news cast and it's scrolling on the bottom of the screen for days. It's not just Cincinnati though. Even cities you would expect to be more use to snow seem to flip out about snow.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:17 PM

269 posts, read 632,210 times
Yeah I somewhat agree with Cincyfan about blaming the media. Sometimes I think the media hypes up these storms to help out local businesses.

While I can't really understand the aniexty of snow around here and how the media fans the flames, I would actually rather put up with the media here opposed to where I was at before. Rather than hype up the storms, they always seemed to underestimate them.

It was common to have a forecasted overnight 2-3in turn out to be 6-8in. And I will not even get into their predictons of nor'easters.

With all that being said, I will say Cincinnati has some pretty steep hills on the west side so that's probably a large contributor to the "fear factor" around here.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:48 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,889,368 times
I'm proud to be a resident of the Tristate! I LOVE WLW's ranting about the "White Death" and feel like the locals are really no different than anywhere else I've ever been in the United States. And don't worry; the Meijer stores are stocked every day of the year beside Christmas Day. So g'night; I've got to get some sleep before I go get in my delivery truck!

Old 02-06-2010, 02:33 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,424,007 times
Two factors add to this problem (with which I do have to agree).

First, many of our residents come from southern climates where there is no snow and many folks have no experience driving in the snow or even dealing with it. Second, we do have an extremely difficult terrain for snow and ice what with the hills and all. My cousins in Chicago laugh about the frenzie we get in over a few inches of snow. But, in Chicago, you could park your car in neutral with the brake off and everywhere in the city and it wouldn't roll two feet the place is so flat.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:28 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,938,347 times
Bostonians get more hysterical over snow than folks in Cincinnati do. It all goes back 32 years, to when the Blizzard of '78 caught everybody napping. One of the overworked local phrases here is "just a dusting" to describe the powdered-sugar effect a light accumulation has on the ground. Almost without fail, breathlessly predicted storms "dumping 5 inches or more in a matter of hours" turn out to be just a dusting. The savvy locals know to put more stock in predictions of just a dusting and take them more seriously. Inevitably the forecasted dustings are the ones that turn out to be "may-jah" (major.)
Cincy's west side in no way has a monopoly on hilly streets! So it's just as well that the weather reporters carry on as much as they do, better safe than sorry. I have a personal anecdote which precipitated - if you will - my having this opinion. Mr and Mrs Goyguy Sr were headed for home one February night in their '57 Plymouth when a snowstorm struck without warning. Yours Truly was about eight weeks away from making his debut in this world. The snow was freezing pavement upon impact, causing peril to motorists. As luck would have it, the storm intensified as they left Northside on Hamilton Ave and started up the hill at a snail's pace. Suddenly the car hit a patch of ice and went into a full skid. It had to have been a moment of sheer terror for my young parents, spinning 'round and 'round across a heavily traveled thoroughfare. (Did cars even have seatbelts in those days? To a woman seven months pregnant that wouldn't've lessened the fear much.) After two complete revolutions, the Plymouth wound up on the correct side of the street and could be safely guided forward again. I needless to say have no recollection of this incident, but it gets brought up whenever parental questioning of my sanity happens. "We wouldn't be having this argument if your father and I hadn't spun out on Hamilton Ave during that snowstorm!" Yeah, yeah.
But seriously folks, take practical measures no matter what the prediction might be. What shouldn't happen - but does - whether it be in Cincinnati or Boston (or DC right about now) is folks' feeling like they have to stock a bomb shelter. Check supplies of candles and flashlight batteries, have enough food in the cabinets and fridge for a few days, and you're all set. I always see people in the grocery stores ahead of a prognosticated "dusting" throwing twelve loaves of bread, five megapackages of paper towels, etc etc into their carts and roll my eyes.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:17 PM

363 posts, read 832,607 times
Coming from the Pittsburgh area, I too have to laugh at the uproar Cincinnatians throw themselves into when it snows around here. In a "just kidding with you" way, of course.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:18 AM

35 posts, read 352,245 times
I've lived here my whole life(35 yrs) and it feels like every year people get worse and worse about the snow fall. I just don't get it. I hate the way the city shuts down over just three inches of snow fall. They used to never cancel cincinnati public schools when I was young but the last few years they cancel at the drop of one flake. Most of the accidents are caused by panic braking and/or people having crap tires.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:28 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,673,737 times
Cincinnati rap:

Snow on da' ground.....snow on da' ground..... Drivin' like a fool wit da' snow on the ground....look at ya now - car spinnin around.....drivin like a fool wit da' snow on da ground!!!

Old 02-07-2010, 08:46 AM

50 posts, read 143,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankspeed View Post
I've lived here my whole life(35 yrs) and it feels like every year people get worse and worse about the snow fall. I just don't get it. I hate the way the city shuts down over just three inches of snow fall. They used to never cancel cincinnati public schools when I was young but the last few years they cancel at the drop of one flake. Most of the accidents are caused by panic braking and/or people having crap tires.
I guess the weather has caused more issues within recent years; probably partly due to the evolution of SUVs. People get in an SUV and think they're invincible and want to "show-off."

It's always funny seeing the show-offs in the fast lane with dicey tires doing 90 and then a few miles down the road, their vehicle is smashed up against a wall facing traffic. Ironically, over half the times, it always seems to be a four wheel drive vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or