Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 10:43 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,424 times

Advertisements

I have a car that I have to jump every few months because I don't get around to using it enough for the battery to keep a charge. It's probably not really worth the insurance payments, yet I am a silly American so I keep it. If I didn't have free parking for it it'd be gone. Certainly wouldn't be much of a "deprivation" to get rid of it, as it's hardly used as things are. Classifying car independence as a deprivation couldn't be further from the truth; it's a liberation. Dependence upon any particular thing is what's a deprivation. Options are freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 10:47 AM

4,481 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Classifying car independence as a deprivation couldn't be further from the truth; it's a liberation. Dependence upon any particular thing is what's a deprivation. Options are freedom.
Brill's point of view is typical of many in the Cincinnati metro. If you are dependant on mass transit and car-less you are obviously a low class, deprived individual. I've encountered that attitude from many people in both Cincinnati and Dayton. It's classist to say the least, and I think most people who have that point of view don't even realize it because it's so ingrained in the culture here.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:55 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,424 times
I'm certainly not transit-dependent, as I have a car. I just find transit, cycling, and walking more convenient, healthy, enjoyable, luxurious.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:02 AM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Brill's point of view is typical of many in the Cincinnati metro. If you are dependant on mass transit and car-less you are obviously a low class, deprived individual. I've encountered that attitude from many people in both Cincinnati and Dayton. It's classist to say the least, and I think most people who have that point of view don't even realize it because it's so ingrained in the culture here.
Yes, there is a lot of class warfare going on in the Midwest. I've noted it every since I moved out here. Don't know why. Some people out here like to find ways to discriminate against others even if it is not along racial and religious lines.

My friend's father worked at Exxon in Manhattan for decades but was able to drive to a train station in Waterbury, CT (we lived in Simsbury at the time which is NW of Hartford) and catch the Metro North to NYC for work. Did the same thing after he moved to Wilton which is in Fairfield County and south of Danbury.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
My friend's father worked at Exxon in Manhattan for decades but was able to drive to a train station in Waterbury, CT (we lived in Simsbury at the time which is NW of Hartford) and catch the Metro North to NYC for work. Did the same thing after he moved to Wilton which is in Fairfield County and south of Danbury.
Yep, used to take Metro North from Grand Central to Stamford for work. Most people out here wouldn't believe that well to do business men rely on mass transit in NYC other east coast cities.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:01 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Not having a car is a deprivation?
No call to be so rude. Everyone has preferences.

I see not having a car not so much a deprivation as a limitation; however, I wouldn't be very happy if I were limited to living near a bus line, or couldn't get out to the flea market on occasion or anywhere else I liked to go that wasn't on a bus line, or if I had to make multiple trips to the grocery store each week because I can carry only X bags at once (one trip would be solely to bring home the 40-pound bag of cat litter). The aggravation would be enough for me to save my pennies for a car, if at all possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I think if someone has a regular 8 to 5 job M to F and lives and works near a bus line then it becomes a non issue unless of course they like to venture out in the woods
Or anywhere else on a bus line. There are plenty of places I go in addition to work.

Quote:
Not classist as much as generationalist (if that's a word ... ), and it's certainly not just in Cincinnati. We all grew up waiting for the day we could get our driver's licenses, and saving money to buy a car. My mom would rather listen to jazz than the Rolling Stones; I'd rather pay the price of car ownership to have the freedom of determining precisely how, when and where I will travel.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No call to be so rude. Everyone has preferences.
Sorry about that, not my intent. My north eastern directness sometimes comes off rude online. My apologies.

Quote:
I see not having a car not so much a deprivation as a limitation; however, I wouldn't be very happy if I were limited to living near a bus line, or couldn't get out to the flea market on occasion or anywhere else I liked to go that wasn't on a bus line, or if I had to make multiple trips to the grocery store each week because I can carry only X bags at once (one trip would be solely to bring home the 40-pound bag of cat litter). The aggravation would be enough for me to save my pennies for a car, if at all possible.
That's the difference with Cincy, and other cities with limited mass transit...a.k.a....no rail. You couldn't force a car on me when I was living in NYC. I don't really need one living in downtown Cincinnati, I have a bus stop literally in front of my house. But for me, it's more of a choice.

Quote:
Not classist as much as generationalist (if that's a word ... ), and it's certainly not just in Cincinnati. We all grew up waiting for the day we could get our driver's licenses, and saving money to buy a car. My mom would rather listen to jazz than the Rolling Stones; I'd rather pay the price of car ownership to have the freedom of determining precisely how, when and where I will travel.
I think that applies in some cases. But I have definitely picked up on some snootiness when it comes to riding the bus in this region. And not so much on CD forums either. Perhaps in Brill's case it is more of a generational thing. Intent is very easily lost online.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:49 PM

477 posts, read 664,551 times
Quote:
Yep, used to take Metro North from Grand Central to Stamford for work. Most people out here wouldn't believe that well to do business men rely on mass transit in NYC other east coast cities.
Don't say just midwest on this stuff, Chicago also applies too

Old 08-04-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Don't say just midwest on this stuff, Chicago also applies too
Yep!

Old 08-04-2013, 02:37 PM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Cincinnati ranks 46th nationally in terms of the number of people using mass transit.

List of U.S. cities with high transit ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati