Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 10:05 PM

350 posts, read 879,848 times

Advertisements

Hearing reports of flat, boring roads, crazy cage drivers, and overzealous cops around the country, Cincinnati is a great place to ride a motorcycle.

I bought my first Harley in the fall, a '10 Superglide Custom after my '08 CBR1000RR last year and have really noticed the high number of riders we have here. The police don't seem single-out riders, there's lots of hills and curves for the sportbike riders and plenty of superslab and open backroads for the cruisers.

In general, not a whole lot of "squids" (mc riders who are stunting and speeding excessively--basicly rude and/or ignorant riders) around that I've seen. For the most part, the fellow riders I've come across haveall been friendly and competent.

When I took my Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Basic, Advanced, and Sport Riders Courses, they were all packed. Nice to see and a great area to ride.

If you see me out on some of my favorite roads ,around the Miami River/Day/Blue Rock Roads, give me a wave.

Last edited by Cincy Rider; 04-07-2010 at 10:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 10:14 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,822,640 times
Will do! Don't miss the awesome hill at the west end of Springdale Rd!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Will do! Don't miss the awesome hill at the west end of Springdale Rd!
Yes! That's a great stretch from Brehm down to Harrison and taking a run on Thompson.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:31 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,582 times
I remember the HUGE amount of sportsbikes in the parking lot of McDonalds when Blockbuster was there in Colerain.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
I remember the HUGE amount of sportsbikes in the parking lot of McDonalds when Blockbuster was there in Colerain.
IIRC, That McDonald's is still meeting place of the Kawasaki Club (not sure of their name).

Old 04-08-2010, 10:33 AM

269 posts, read 778,519 times
Yeah, the topography of Cincinnati makes it a bad place to drive (IMO) but a great place to ride. I had a Suzuki GSX-R 750 (i'm small) before I moved here but sold it. Now looking at some of the hills and backroads, I tempted to buy another bike. My gf will just have to suck it up this time; I sold it to quiet her nagging.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:16 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,460,769 times
Its been a long time since I have owned a bike, but I can say that there was a period of about two years when my only means of motorized transportation was a motorcycle. Of course, it was a long time ago and a lot of things have changed since then.

Still, there are some really spectacular rides within easy distance from Cincinnati. One with a national reputation is just down the road in Ky a bit described here on the Daytripscincinnati's web site:

http://www.daytripcincinnati.com/iti..._justroads.pdf

There are endless rural roads in the area between vevay In and Friendship In and Versailles State Park.

And, for an overnight trip, most road bikers around the country are pretty amazed that we are within driving distance of the Tail of the Dragon, the second most famous biker road in the U.S.:

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC

Old 04-08-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
Yeah, the topography of Cincinnati makes it a bad place to drive (IMO) but a great place to ride. I had a Suzuki GSX-R 750 (i'm small) before I moved here but sold it. Now looking at some of the hills and backroads, I tempted to buy another bike. My gf will just have to suck it up this time; I sold it to quiet her nagging.
Amen. The Gixxer 750 is a great bike, perfect size, and no slouch, IMO. Might be a long shot but I'd get a bike she can (comfortably) be a passenger on, or her own (beginner) bike..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Its been a long time since I have owned a bike, but I can say that there was a period of about two years when my only means of motorized transportation was a motorcycle. Of course, it was a long time ago and a lot of things have changed since then.

Still, there are some really spectacular rides within easy distance from Cincinnati. One with a national reputation is just down the road in Ky a bit described here on the Daytripscincinnati's web site:

http://www.daytripcincinnati.com/itineraries/south_justroads.pdf
A lot of local riders make the trip to the mecca, and not with a trailer! The daytrip looks like a nice one indeed, I'll be checking that out this summer.

Hey gas is rumored to be going back to over $4 /gallon this summer. Couple that with the way down motorcycle market, ease of parking, and cheap insurance, riding a mc can make good sense.

Last edited by Cincy Rider; 04-08-2010 at 05:55 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 10:22 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
As a trucker, I find most Cincinnati-area riders well-behaved and safe. However, I thought of this thread as I trucked Southbound on I-75 between the OH 63 junction and the rest area at the 27 MM... Never saw 'em until they were past me, but about 8 crotch-rockets flew by me like I was parked. My educated guess was that the leading 2 or 3 were traveling in excess of 100 mph. The rest were going a leisurely 75-80... Yeah, I know; one "Oh-shucks" cancels 100 "atta-boys"...

But the good news is I'd recovered from that by the time I encountered the drunk in the silver Dodge "4-door boxy sedan" of some model on The Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway. He narrowly missed me and skidded into the curve just past Hamilton Ave. He got off at Winton Rd. So I can't tell if he hit the guard rail. Sure kicked up plenty of dust, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati