Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:31 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Amen! Bring on the light rail and the streetcar!!!!
I second this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 04:51 PM

Inrix: Cincinnati metro 33rd for traffic congestion - Business Courier of Cincinnati:

http://www.highways.org/pdfs/bottleneck2004.pdf (broken link)

Bad Road Rage: U.S. Cities With The Worst Road Rage | Ranker - A World of Lists

America's 24 Worst Highway Bottlenecks — Infoplease.com

America’s worst traffic bottlenecks pinpointed

Affinion Road Rage 2009

America's 75 Worst Commutes - The Daily Beast

CNN.com - Study: Bottlenecks choking U.S. roadways - Feb. 19, 2004

TANN Traffic Blog - America's 24 Worst Highway Bottlenecks (http://blog.tann.com/traffic.php?title=america_s_24_worst_highway_bottl enecks&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1 - broken link)

... there is also another article out there somewhere that shows that the average annual man hours wasted from driving are doubling every decade that passes in our nation's largest cities. Not surprising and I don't think Wilsion would even refute this.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:15 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Not surprising and I don't think Wilsion would even refute this.
hehehe. I guess some people agree with you. For my part, I never have a problem with traffic. But, then, I live in Mt. Lookout.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:01 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I never had a problem, either, driving from Madisonville to Over-the-Rhine, or downtown, or Price Hill (record time to Over-the-Rhine at 8 a.m.: 11 minutes ). Taking the bus took twice as long.

But yeah, getting across the river on I-75 is a royal PITA. I wouldn't equate one daily (and quite predictable) bottleneck, though, with "Cincinnati traffic sucks." Because it doesn't.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 AM

350 posts, read 880,266 times
I haven't had to commute on I-75 for four years, use to commuute from the Western Hills Viaduct to the Seymour Rd exit. Seemed like an accident every day somewhere on that stretch, especailly arount Towne or the Norwood Lateral.

Moving to Westwood, I'm going to have to drive the stretch again from I-74 to Seymour, I hope it's gotten better but I doubt it.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:12 AM

I remember driving up 75 to go to Tri-County Mall one Sunday afternoon and we got into a really bad traffic jam. We were thinking, "man, I wonder what happened?" ... thinking about what we were going to see ... and to our dismay ... nothing. Nothing happened. It just bottlenecked causing a domino-effect of traffic for miles. Just too many cars at one time. Because traffic on 75 is so unpredictable, we usually take 71 up to the lateral, cross-county hwy, or 275, then cross over.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:54 PM

269 posts, read 778,947 times
I wouldn't say traffic is bad in Cincinnati, but whenever I do have the misfortune of having to use I-75, I usually encounter irritating "slinky traffic." On 75N, it seems most of the traffic congestion stems from drivers attempting to get on Ronald Reagan and 275. On 75S, a lot of the congestion occurs at 'malfunction junction' in the downtown vicinity where drivers are making desperate attempts to get back on 75S from the outlying lanes.

It's amazing seeing how drastically poorly engineered roadways can affect traffic. Even in a small cities like Columbia and Charleston, SC, 'rush hour' is chaotic. Charleston takes the cake though. 26W from downtown to 526=. One way in, one way out(at least that I know of).

I think the DC metro has to be the worst of my experiences; this includes NYC and Atlanta.

Come on Cincy, bring on the rail and streetcar!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 07:05 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post

I think the DC metro has to be the worst of my experiences; this includes NYC and Atlanta.
Agreed. We happened to be passing through DC a number of years ago. Got on the beltway at Silver Springs at about 5 pm and got off about 20 miles later at 8. No accidents, just normal traffic according to the radio. I told DW if we ever do that again, we will get off and take in dinner and a movie. It wouldn't take any longer to get through.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:04 PM

What I like about this video (aside from the right of way), you see natural side effects of public transit. You see people taking care of things that require an internet connection. You see a gentleman hold his bike because he probably gets to the train stop using this. If anyone has ever taken LRT, you know about the walking involved, which is good for everybody. We've become obese and lazy. The last thing, which has happened to me a lot on the Metro, is people chit-chatting. People being people, interacting with each other rather than flipping someone off because they cut you off - or cruising in the passing lane when they aren't passing anyone.

(You'll want to probably fast-forward to about a minute)

YouTube - Link light rail zips past I-5 traffic

Can you imagine if this were 75? Ahhhh ...

YouTube - Southbound I-5 traffic in Tukwila from Link light rail

Harsh reality ...

YouTube - The Crumbling of America

YouTube - America's Crumbling Infrastructure; Fixing America: Who Should Pay?; Senator Stevens On Hot Seat

Rail did what to this small town of 70,000 people (about 10,000 more than Colerain Twp)? The lady complaining about ticket prices reminds me of a lot of American's. Complaining about a small price to pay when dividends are paying out the a$$.

YouTube - Impact of High Speed 1 (HS1) on Ashford's economy

Old 04-14-2010, 03:09 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
That Seattle light rail is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen. With the layers of local taxes and federal pork money financing Seattle's squandering on this system, they still have endless traffic jams. And, when there is a train stoppage, hold the presses. Its on the SI front page. It a boondoggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: