Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:11 AM

213 posts, read 674,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
I'm really liking the idea of a k-12 school at the SCPA ... what are your guys thoughts on SCPA and the k-12 readjustment?
I'd say a strong majority of students would not be a good fit for SCPA.
That school is only for a certain type of student.
My kids would never have fit in at that school.

That said, is the new school being funded by private donation (ie graduates of SCPA?) or by the school system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
Actually I kinda like that. I'm always amazed at the power of marketing, which is translated to the people as perception. Think about it - ask 100 people what they think about Coca-Cola and Big K, and most will agree Coke is a fine upstanding product, and that Big K is budget cheap-o cola. Key word is most there...some people know they are probably mostly the same, but marketing is some powerful shtuff.

So I guess my point is, putting a marketing twist on some schools seems like a good idea. Kinda silly, but if changes some people's perceptions of schools, it could be one step forward in healing CPS. Or something like that.
From a marketing standpoint it can work on some people who simply aren't educated on their children's options or simply don't care about their child's educations. I guess one group it could work on would be out-of-towners who are just moving to the city.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:25 AM

350 posts, read 879,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
I'm really liking the idea of a k-12 school at the SCPA ... what are your guys thoughts on SCPA and the k-12 readjustment?
The concept is fine but f the building looks like that I'm opposed to it's location. That does not fit OTR, it overpowers Music Hall and the old beautiful italiente and greek revival buildings around it.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:48 AM

25 posts, read 77,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Rider View Post
The concept is fine but f the building looks like that I'm opposed to it's location. That does not fit OTR, it overpowers Music Hall and the old beautiful italiente and greek revival buildings around it.
I disagree - I work downtown and see it every day, and I think it fits in just fine. The new SCPA sits adjacent to not only the historic architecture of OTR, but also the modern architecture of downtown. In fact, coming up Central Parkway, you can see more of downtown than you can the architecture in OTR. It has a nice clean look and it sits low to the ground so it doesn't overpower the skyline (unlike the Kroger building, which I hate).

Old 05-12-2010, 07:03 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell View Post
I'd say a strong majority of students would not be a good fit for SCPA.
That school is only for a certain type of student.
My kids would never have fit in at that school.

That said, is the new school being funded by private donation (ie graduates of SCPA?) or by the school system?
Mostly the school system, I believe. In a city the size of Cincinnati, there's nothing wrong with having some magnet schools. In fact, it seems like a good idea to me.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 AM

8 posts, read 13,830 times
I moved to the city for CPS. My 3 children ages 17,14 and 12 are attending SCPA and gaining so many cultural and educational experiences that they might not have had living in White Oak. The key is parental involvement at home and school. This motivates everyone to do better. The city also bosts some great private highschools. I have also heard fantastic things about Walnut Hills. You can live outside the district and pay touition for any CPS school that your child can qualify for. I knew quite a few families living in White Oak that sent their kids to Walnut. I paid touition for one of mine to go to SCPA for two years. Things at SCPA arent perfect but I have seen improvement in the past 3 years that is positive.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:08 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,541,771 times
You know, the problem with a lot of these posts is that they presuppose that the people who run CPS agree that it needs to be fixed. Having dealt with these people, I'm here to tell you that they are some of the most arrogant "my stuff doesn't stink" sort of people. They don't think there is anything wrong with how they are running things, and if there is a problem, it's someone else's fault. And the only answer to ANY problem is to put another levy on the ballot and throw money at it. CPS has the highest per student expenditure in the state, and except for a few notable examples (Walnut Hills, Kilgore, and such) is among the worst performers. I can think of no better proof that our tax dollars are wasted.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
You know, the problem with a lot of these posts is that they presuppose that the people who run CPS agree that it needs to be fixed. Having dealt with these people, I'm here to tell you that they are some of the most arrogant "my stuff doesn't stink" sort of people. They don't think there is anything wrong with how they are running things, and if there is a problem, it's someone else's fault. And the only answer to ANY problem is to put another levy on the ballot and throw money at it. CPS has the highest per student expenditure in the state, and except for a few notable examples (Walnut Hills, Kilgore, and such) is among the worst performers. I can think of no better proof that our tax dollars are wasted.
+1,000. I could not have said it better myself.
The leadership in the CPS is absolutely hideous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati