Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:35 AM

682 posts, read 1,622,472 times

Advertisements

One of the biggest problems this city has is that it doesn't promote its architecture.

Ask most people what they know about Cincinnati and you get two responses. They have a big zoo and baseball.

Ask people where the great architecture is and you hear Charleston SC, Savannah GA, New Orleans and San Francisco...you NEVER hear Cincinnati.

And that's too bad because if this city Actually hired a marketer and promoted their architecture we wouldn't have 3000 Houses on the keep vacant/condemn list and the city would not be demoing hundreds of houses a year. We would be bringing new people to the city and Urban neighborhoods, restoring our property tax base in the process and creating jobs.

The houses that no one cares about here, in areas like Fairmount, and Price Hill, the ones that sit on the hills with the incredible views? People here are too short sighted to realize in any other city those houses restored ,would bring 3-400K or more. Its funny because as locals ignore those areas more and more out of towners are moving in and snapping "those worthless section 8 hellholes", as they are routinely called here on this site, people would realize there are some pretty incredible restorations going on.

People forget that Mt Adams and Columia Tusculum were not always the trendy high end areas they are today.

When our friends from Indy come down to visit they are blown away when they look around my neighborhood and realize you can buy a house for 5-15 grand. They always ask me why don't these people realize what they have?

And I really don't have an answer for them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 09:55 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,694,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Boy, do I ever miss the residential architecture of the Midwest. I'm so sick of looking at brick row houses and twins ... including mine!
Hey now!

You just named my 'hood!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:07 AM

41,737 posts, read 74,692,347 times
^^Sorry 'bout that ... ... but Cincinnati doesn't have block after block after block after block of them. This part of the country is a sea of brick and asphalt. I'm amazed I can figure out which house is mine every afternoon, because they all look alike. Oh, yeah, mine's the one with the front bow window extension and not the one with the square window extension ...

Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 PM

4,882 posts, read 13,751,893 times
Some of the best 4-squares around are along the streets in Norwood named for presidents: Adams, Washington, etc. Yes, Norwood!

Old 04-30-2010, 12:07 AM

350 posts, read 875,695 times
Lightbulb East Price Hill

East Price Hill covers 3 square miles (7.8 km2), and has over 20,000 residents living in 3,000 homes and 4,000 apartments. As of 1997, 31.4% of the households had one person, 43.2% had two people, and 25.4% had three or more. 29.5% of residents were 17 or younger, and 10.8% were 65 or older. 87.9% of the residents were white and 9.7% were black. The region contains part of Mt. Echo Park and all of Glenway Park.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:19 AM

350 posts, read 875,695 times
Lightbulb College Hill

College Hill is a residential neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio. Originally a wealthy suburb called Pleasant Hill due to its prime location, it was renamed College Hill because of the two colleges that were established there in the mid-nineteenth century. The neighborhood is not to be confused with North College Hill, which borders College Hill to the north but is not part of Cincinnati.

In 1813-14, William Cary, having migrated from New Hampshire to Cincinnati in 1802,purchased 491 acres (1.99 km2) north of Cincinnati along what is now Hamilton Avenue (U.S. Route 127). Cary built a log cabin and moved his family to this “wilderness,” then known as Mill Creek Township.In 1833, Cary's son Freeman G. Cary established Pleasant Hill Academy for boys on part of his land. The academy became an agricultural school called Farmer's College (for which the area was renamed) in 1846. That school became Belmont College in 1885, and then formed the core of the Ohio Military Academy in 1890. A separate school, the Ohio Female College, was founded in 1852 by Reverend John Covert and operated until 1873 when it was sold to build the Cincinnati Sanitarium, the first private US psychiatric facility not on the East Coast.

The development of the area was expedited by the introduction of a railroad line in 1851 and horsecar service in the 1860s. College Hill was incorporated as a village in 1866, then annexed to the city of Cincinnati in stages in 1911, 1915 and 1923.

Last edited by Cincy Rider; 04-30-2010 at 12:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati