U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 02:28 PM

350 posts, read 477,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I was talking about Walt's out on the west side (no idea where it is ... I get all turned around out there!), but I've heard good things about Walt's in Kentucky, too.
There's a Walt's on Colerain south of Banning Rd and in Harrison on New Haven Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post

Cincinnati has this weird "little kid's" local preference of favoring sweet things like sweet pizza sauce and sweet baked ribs with no character. A little kid would not like Texas BBQ because it may be tough in places and may require some dressing with sauce because it's cooked and served dry. He would prefer Montgomery Inn because it's soft, mushy and is loaded with gloppy sweet sauce. I don't get why local tastes tend toward the juvenile but they do.
Because it tastes good and what people in Cincy are used to/ raised on.

Who says, "I shouldn't eat this because a kid would like it."

It's be like saying--lover of smoked meat--that you have animalistic tastes, all that meat.

I'd say they are crazier 'n' h***

Last edited by Cincy Rider; 05-07-2010 at 02:49 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 02:59 PM

8,700 posts, read 12,513,332 times
Personally, I think the best smoked meat is beef short ribs. But, to be a real smoker, you have to have the tools. Two chamber smoker, plenty of ballast in the meat chamber, two heat probe thermometers, and a lot of well seasoned oak, maple and apple and a tried and true meat rub you can call your own. My son makes a second career out of it. Once you get hooked on smoked meat, cheese goes in there, fish, every now and then a smoked onion.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:22 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,415,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Rider View Post
Because it tastes good and what people in Cincy are used to/ raised on.

Who says, "I shouldn't eat this because a kid would like it."

It's be like saying--lover of smoked meat--that you have animalistic tastes, all that meat.

I'd say they are crazier 'n' h***
If you're eating Montgomery Inn you're eating meat.

I want to taste the meat, transformed, and without a caked on overlay of extraneous ingredients. That's what the smoking process imparts, it magnifies the flavor of the meat and adds new dimensions.

Take the sauce away from a Montgomery Inn rib and I almost guarantee that it's pretty bland - basically roasted pork. Smoking lets you enjoy that same meat without a bunch of sauce, if you wish.

As far as "tastes good", it's all relative. Montgomery Inn tastes good to some people and I really wonder if they have ever tried real BBQ.

If I want sweet I'll get ice cream.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
If you're eating Montgomery Inn you're eating meat.

I want to taste the meat, transformed, and without a caked on overlay of extraneous ingredients. That's what the smoking process imparts, it magnifies the flavor of the meat and adds new dimensions.

Take the sauce away from a Montgomery Inn rib and I almost guarantee that it's pretty bland - basically roasted pork. Smoking lets you enjoy that same meat without a bunch of sauce, if you wish.

As far as "tastes good", it's all relative. Montgomery Inn tastes good to some people and I really wonder if they have ever tried real BBQ.

If I want sweet I'll get ice cream.
I've only had Montgomery Inn twice, so I'm not defending their ribs. It was good but I've only had ribs a dozen times or so, I usually just order steaks.

Have you ever eaten at Walt's? If so, what's your opinion of their BBQ?

Old 05-07-2010, 04:21 PM

8,700 posts, read 12,513,332 times
I've had Walt's Ky dozens of times. They are real slow roasted ribs, not boiled like Montgomery Inn. Dryer, more meaty and with really delicious flavor. Eat in the bar. They have some little booths. Great atmosphere.

By the way, for those who do ribs at home, there is a membrane on the bone side of the ribs that really needs to be removed before they are cooked. This is not very tasty and hard to separate from the rib meat between the bones when the ribs are done. Its a little more work, but well worth it.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:34 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,145,779 times
I've been pretty disappointed with the Walt's on Colerain the last couple times I've eaten there. Had some chicken that was so overcooked as to be almost inedible, although they do serve a nice big baked potato topped with barbecue and cheese which is tasty and a good deal. I like Big Art's on Struble Rd. better than anyplace else in the area..although be warned, it's a dive, small dining room and can get very crowded. The best thing on their menu, better even than the excellent barbecue, is something called Chicken Colerain, an enormous boneless breast, lightly sauteed, served on rice, and smothered with a combination of mushrooms, onions and delicious herbs and spices. Their hours can be a little weird, so check before making the trip.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:23 PM

25,619 posts, read 32,446,607 times
Dives are usually the best places to get that kind of food.

When BBQ Review first started up, it was in a converted gas station or something on Madison, past Whetsel near the Methodist church. The hours were irregular; you knew it was open when the big pig was rolled out to the curb.

And every once in awhile someone would haul a smoker out on the parking lot of what was once Richie's at Madison and Whetsel. That was some good stuff, too, but very irregular.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:44 PM

453 posts, read 373,345 times
From what I've had here, Walts is a zillion trillion times better than Mont Inn. But that doesn't mean I think Walts is all that. I prefer Oklahoma Joes or Authur Bryants in Kansas City or none at all.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:12 AM

120 posts, read 147,127 times
Walt's - Yummy
Walt's Barbeque Restaurant & Catering BBQ Sauce Ribs Pork Chicken Brisket Cincinnati
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati