Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:42 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
I'm NOT an expert on this. I just blow a lot of smoke. Wow. That fit this thread.

I once tried to smoke a pork butt. I used the wood chips, and alternated with chips on a hot plate (as recommended on "Good Eats" on cable) and charcoal. Went for hours. I thought it was "low and slow". The starting weight of the butt was 2 lbs and at the end it was about 14 ounces. MOST of the meat on the outside was transformed into what a BBQ fan might call "bark" but was truly just burned meat. Maybe there was enough meat for a couple of small sandwiches.

I gave up the idea.
My son is an expert on smoked meat. He uses a two stage smoker he made himself. For those in the know, it has firebrick and cast iron ballast, dual digital alarm monitors and it will hold a couple of cubic feet of product in the cooking chamber.

My lazy self did a pork shoulder last week but it was pre sliced into what Sams Club calls country ribs. A good rub of Lysanders meat rub, half an hour at 500 degrees, cover with foil on a broiling pan (with drip tray) and three hours at 240 degrees. Add one half bottle Kansas City BBQ Sauce and another hour at 240. Now in chunks from falling apart on its own, add to bun. Wasn't too bad. Nothing like what number one son makes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 01:25 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
just browsed the thread, but no mention of the bbq place at garfield place near vine and 8th street. tiny room, preacher makes pretty good bbq. not so far off from the side-of-the-road places in walnut hills, northside, etc. not spectacular, but cheap and worth getting if you're downtown for the afternoon.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:08 PM

17,571 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Not one of my favorites, but I know they have a great following.

Walt's BBQ in NKy closed last week

I hate to see any establishment that has been in the community so long close it's doors

Old 08-20-2010, 03:52 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

I hate to see any establishment that has been in the community so long close it's doors

Now that is a real loss. Best rib in a local restaurant, IMO.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:22 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

I assume this is the Walt's Hitching Post in NKY in Fort Wright. I remember when there were Hitching Posts all over the area, still my favorite fried chicken from years past.

Can I assume there is no direct connection between this operation and Walt's BBQ on Colerain Ave.? That is one I enjoy when visiting my son's house on the west side.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:52 PM

17,571 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Yep, Walt's Hitching Post....Nothing to do with the fried chicken joints. Although, the fried chicken joints used to have, maybe still has, the best fried chicken liver...I can feel my arteries snapping shut just thinking about them

Old 11-19-2010, 07:21 AM

279 posts, read 717,836 times
Posted this is another thread, but want to double post it here since this is more of an official Cincinnati BBQ thread...

Update, went to Pit To Plate last night with my dad, mom, grandma, 2 brothers, my lady, brothers lady...so the benefit of going with so many people is that we just ordered a ton of stuff and passed it all around. I must say I am thoroughly, ridiculously impressed. Let's see, we had:

Wings - I usually am not even a fan of wings, but these were smoked to perfection. The skin wasn't just a fatty mess like I'm used to, it was dried up and crispy, while still being moist. Coming from someone who doesn't even like wings, this was a hell of a start to our meal.

Beef Brisket - I knew this was going to be the ****, when our waitress called it "meat candy". It was tasty, good amount of fattiness, seasoned well.

Pulled Pork - This may have been my favorite. Meat was so juicy and rich, black pepper seasoned, I just can't express into words how enjoyable this stuff was.

Chicken - I just had no idea smoked chicken could taste this good. Seasoned perfectly, so tender and juicy, still had its chicken characteristics. Completely unique from the other meats. That might sound like a duh statement to some, but I was really impressed how each meat truly had a awesome, smoky, unique flavor.

Ribs - Some of meatiest ribs I've ever had. While these were delicious, they weren't my favorite ribs...liked Jim Dandy's ribs better. But again, quite tasty.

Sides - The mac n cheese was above average, not Earth shattering though. Mashed potatoes n gravy, delivered. Green beans, seasoned and tasty. Cole slaw, pretty standard, good. Jalapeno cornbread...great!

I should add that none of this needed sauce, at all. And I love saucy food. I forced myself to sauce up different bites just so I could try their 6 or so different sauces (mustard based, mild BBQ, hot BBQ, "Wrangler", Spicy Garlic, etc). The meat was just so moist!

I think thats everything. I highly highly recommend it. If you haven't been and you like BBQ, you're just missing out. Your mileage may vary, but I can't imagine people going here and being let down.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:28 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,711 times
This may be far afield for a Cincinnati thread, but...

In Lebanon there are now two BBQ places. One is "Silver Street BBQ" around the corner from the Breakfast Club, which opened this summer. And a "new" new place called Porky Capone's just opened in the service station strip mall two blocks west of Broadway on West Main Street.

The Urbanspoon review page for Silver Street is a war zone with the apparent owner and his friends rushing in to "rebut" any negative reviews with multiple postings, and there also seem to be many enemies of this place posting hate as well. I ate there. It was fairly expensive for a pile of roasted, sorta-smoked pork on a bun and a couple of side dishes. To me it seemed like they're trying to do too much and they need to come back to earth.

The Porky place (hope Warner Brothers' legal department doesn't come knocking on their doors over this) is too new to call.

In Cincinnati I like BBQ Revue and Stella's Woe-Is-Me in Eastgate. Both are great experiences and have great smoke. And for hole-in-the-wall BBQ at cheap prices there is the Landen Smokehouse in the complex at Columbia Rd. and Rt 22 on the southwest corner of the intersection.

Last edited by Ohioan58; 11-19-2010 at 10:37 AM..

Old 11-22-2010, 03:01 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,657 times
I'm a big fan of the Texas BBQ joints. I love how you can walk into one and get a beer that has been soaking in ice all day and pick out your choice of meat and sides and sauces. Saying that, my favorite that I have found in Cincy is City Barbeque which is similar.

But I do like Montgomery Inn because it is unique. The ribs are tender and the sauce is different and add some Saratoga chips with the sauce and that is good.

I have been meaning to try Woe Is Me and Barbeque Revue. The great thing about living here is that you have a choice in barbeque unlike places like Kansas City, Memphis, Texas, or the Carolinas. Try going to one of those places and ordering something else - they will look at you like you are crazy.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:58 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
Have tried both of the places in Lebanon - admittedly only once each. I agree with your assessment of Silver Street. Expensive, not awesome, place was kind of all over.

Porky's - we thought was really good. Unfortunately out of brisket when we went (they close at 8pm, we got there at 7:45) - but the pulled pork (smoked without sauce - you add what you want) was delish.

Heard there was something between the two restaurants (failed partnership, etc...). I really hope Porky's survives - Lebanon is kind of a restaurant black hole and anything additional (with actual affordable tasty food) should be preserved at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati