U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:59 AM

3,716 posts, read 5,716,861 times
And each and every one of us is inherently greedy.
Then we have...the CHARITY scams! "Look at all these great magazines you can subscribe to, at this bargain rate - and the money all goes to Children's Hospital!" Each of the few times this has been pulled on me, I pick up the phone while opening the White Pages and telling the perp that I'm contacting the development office at the hospital (or whatever.) They vanish without a trace in seconds. I've never called the cops on this or any other door-to-door chicanery b/c it'd fall way down on their to-do list below shootings and car crashes.
Solicitors who prey on instinctive human kindness are lower on the food chain than those who work the greed angle IMHO. Truth be told, I bust out laughing whenever there's a story in the paper about some poor ******* who was given a box filled with cans after handing over $800 for "an HD TV that Sears didn't order" outside the store. Or the "pigeon drop," where a total stranger is excitedly approached on the street by a person or persons who've "just hit big in the lottery - here's the ticket, you can't touch it!" The patsy then, "in good faith 'til I can cash the lottery check and give you your share," promptly walks to the nearest ATM and takes out a few hundred or grand which will never be seen again. Suckers! P. T. Barnum had it right, there's one born every minute, and the same holds true for scammers out to get 'em.
'tis the season for the con artists to pour out of the woodwork, so get ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 11:01 AM

3,716 posts, read 5,716,861 times
(Wow, the word which begins with "sch" and rhymes with "truck" is a no-no! Who knew.)

Old 05-20-2010, 03:33 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,249,988 times
Argh. Now they're mobile.

We went to an Arby's this afternoon. A red pickup marked "IOWA STEAKS" is sitting at the curb next to the entry door. All the doors of the truck are open and rap music is blasting out of the stereo. As we walk by to go in a guy wearing a logo shirt gets in front of us and says to us "do you eat steak at home"?

I just look at the logos, shook my head, and said "nuh-uhhhh." Wondering if the board of health has ever seen the inside of that vehicle. "Thank you anyway, sir, God Bless."

I'm waiting for this business format to hit the Hallmark store, Kroger's and the bank next...maybe the local church...

Old 05-20-2010, 03:41 PM

295 posts, read 518,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Argh. Now they're mobile.

We went to an Arby's this afternoon. A red pickup marked "IOWA STEAKS" is sitting at the curb next to the entry door. All the doors of the truck are open and rap music is blasting out of the stereo. As we walk by to go in a guy wearing a logo shirt gets in front of us and says to us "do you eat steak at home"?

I just look at the logos, shook my head, and said "nuh-uhhhh." Wondering if the board of health has ever seen the inside of that vehicle. "Thank you anyway, sir, God Bless."

I'm waiting for this business format to hit the Hallmark store, Kroger's and the bank next...maybe the local church...

I've already seen them a couple of times at Hartwell Krogers. Can't remember if the truck was red or white and didn't get close enough to see the name of the outfit selling the meat. Next time I see them down there, I will take a look and see if it is the same outfit you saw today.

What they are banking on is people will confuse them with Omaha Steaks.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:56 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,249,988 times
I Googled for this. This company's salesmen are apparently notorious for high pressure sales tactics with all of the usual games like "we need to move these steaks or we will lose them", and sells crap. They seem to be the type of outfit that places the hiring ads that say "MAKE $XXX/WEEK, NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED".

Yeah, that's exactly the sales pitch of all of these jerks. "Premium" steaks.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:27 PM

6,351 posts, read 12,508,505 times
I just quit my job and bought a pickup and a freezer so I can sell steaks door-to-door. If anybody wants to buy some great "Ohio Steaks", just let me know...

Old 05-21-2010, 04:27 PM

295 posts, read 518,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I just quit my job and bought a pickup and a freezer so I can sell steaks door-to-door. If anybody wants to buy some great "Ohio Steaks", just let me know...

And do tell what an Ohio Steak is, LOL.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:14 PM

3,044 posts, read 2,996,379 times
We had a young couple show up at our door in a silver Ford pickup late last fall with a couple of coolers full of frozen Beef ... No wait, that was DS and DIL with our Christmas present. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:08 AM

6,351 posts, read 12,508,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider127 View Post
And do tell what an Ohio Steak is, LOL.
They're just like "Omaha Steaks", only different...

Last edited by Crew Chief; 05-22-2010 at 07:37 PM..

Old 05-22-2010, 09:50 AM

8,903 posts, read 10,204,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Their just like "Omaha Steaks", only different...
Not to stray off topic, but Omaha Steaks are NOTHING to write home about.

I had a boss who used to hand those out all of the time and I was surprised how bad they were. It is not top quality beef although the prices would not indicate taht.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati