U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 PM

19 posts, read 25,188 times

Advertisements

Wife, son and I are concidering making a move to the Cincy Area and concidering neighborhoods. I grew up in the area, but its been a long time.

Things that would be important to me:
1. Views and a yard. No row houses or condos.
2. Close access to a montessori school
3. Good public elementary / middle school
4. Under 45 min to downtown in case I feel like getting a job in the future
5. Good clean grocery store nearby (preferably a higher end store like wholefoods)
6. Budget: 200-400K, 3+BR 2+Bath
7. Want clean and safe. Houses not too close together.

Was thinking about Mason. Seems like it could meet all the above criteria. Any concerns?

Also looked at Lawrenceberg IN. There are some nice houses around HVL for sale. Don't know anything about this area. I always though of IN being really far away when I was growing up.

KY could be an option, but I would be worried about living with a bunch of rednecks. No offence to any KYers out there.

Would the culture shock of moving to a place like Mason be too much? Ideally we want to live in a house that only costs 300K but don't necessarily live around people who could only afford a 300K house, if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 12:30 PM

31,199 posts, read 57,331,348 times
You've already offended me and I've never even lived in Kentucky. Perhaps you should stay in New York and not sully yourself living amongst us rubes. What with our red necks, views of cornfields, being far away, etc.

Quote:
Ideally we want to live in a house that only costs 300K but don't necessarily live around people who could only afford a 300K house
What the heck does that mean? Would you prefer living around people in $300,000 houses who can't afford them?

Old 05-12-2010, 02:13 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,880 times
Well, you sound like a snob so you would probably fit in best east of madison road in the obryonville hyde park area. Or maybe around NYC. Maybe you could find some kindred spirits if you lived a street over from a new money mcmansion development in Mason.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:33 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,895 times
With the level of tact you exhibited in your post, I'm sure you'll be a big hit with your neighbors no matter where you locate. Best of luck!

Old 05-12-2010, 03:08 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,424,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Well, you sound like a snob so you would probably fit in best east of madison road in the obryonville hyde park area. Or maybe around NYC. Maybe you could find some kindred spirits if you lived a street over from a new money mcmansion development in Mason.
Oh, that's not nice.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:22 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,880 times
yeah i'm full of snark today

Old 05-12-2010, 06:03 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,938,347 times
I think "if I feel like getting a job" sums it up.
A story going around once had it that "everybody" in West Chester competed to see who could have the biggest and most expensive grand piano in their living room. Not that the instrument would be played, it was to be DISplayed. So the WC could be a possibility, save for the fact that some of the residents there can't afford a $300k house + there are fast-food chain restaurants along the local Interstate as well as an Ikea. That means economic, and even some racial/ethnic, diversity; OMG!!! Scratch that one. West Chester, Ohio and Westchester County, New York aren't all that different, which of course translates into Yonkers + Katonah + Yorktown etc all smooshed into a much smaller land area. Can't have that.
My sis (native to da Nati) and BIL (New Englander by birth) have lived in mostly upper-middle-class Loveland since 1993, and recently traded up to a brick McMansion in the same community. One of their kids goes to a Montessori school. And the public education system there is making a bid for the highest echelon in state rankings. They obviously like it there to have stayed for 17 years and not left when they maxed out on space in their former house. But here again there are issues. There's not a Whole Foods in the immediate area, and the neighborhood they called home until last year had plenty of residents who I'm sure were scrapping to make their mortgage payments. Where they live now also, every household has at least one (usually two) persons who are employed and not because it suits them. So Loveland needs to be scratched as well.
Wyoming may have appeared on your radar, but I regret to inform that it's entirely old-money WASP only by reputation. For every Tudor or Victorian mansion there's a brick Cape Cod or post-WWII ranch house or a '60s Colonial. Plus, especially in the southeastern quadrant, these clashing home styles are in veeeeery close proximity. And - imagine this - the public schools are so excellent that next to no one opts out. The offspring of blue-collar Appalachian families sit in classrooms alongside middle-class AA kids and wealthier children from all sorts of ethnic/cultural/religious origins. So the out-of-school education can be even more enlightening than the one given IN school. Somehow, sadly for the son involved, I don't think open-mindedness is being taught in the home nor is an environment conducive to that being sought.
Strike Three!
Between me and the OP, I'm glad one of us moved east without forgetting where he came from.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:43 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,895 times
I just hope the OP finds a school district where they teach a remedial spelling class for adults. I'd say that definitely should be Priority One, even more important than the proximity to Whole Foods.

I like Goyguy's commentary on the Wyoming school system. If I had school-age children I'd move heaven and earth to live in that district, probably even if it meant renting.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:49 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,329,829 times
AS SOON AS YOU CROSS THAT BRIDGE IT'S LIKE WRONG TURN AND THE HILLS HAVE EYES COMBINED!

No, really, keep out, we don't need a prick like you.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 AM

31,199 posts, read 57,331,348 times
^^You can just hear the banjo music a-playin' ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati