U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:52 AM

3,202 posts, read 3,371,608 times

Advertisements

TANK runs a bus (2x) every half-hour from the airport to downtown. Cost is $1.75. From downtown terminal you would get bus 19 towards northgate and get off at the university. City bus is $2 I think.

Renting a car would be easier, though. Not sure how familiar you are with city buses. Once the streetcar is in, getting from downtown to the university will be a snap.

Bus schedules for those routes.

http://www.tankbus.org/LinkClick.asp...2g%3d&tabid=72
http://www.go-metro.com/routes/Rt19.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 10:30 AM

30 posts, read 59,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i attached a horribly lame PDF of the general areas I am talking about near campus. Riddle road and probasco is a residential area. Quieter than south of campus but also further from restaurants, etc. I believe there are new apartments on stratford (west of campus between straight and joselin). Those would be very nice. South of campus is the heart of the action. I would stay within a block or two of campus so that you aren't walking too far alone at night.

I had some night classes, some day classes, some afternoon classes. I don't think i have had more than two night classes a week though.

It is a 24 hour campus and people are around at all hours. I used to catch the bus on W McMillan as late as the bus ran (around midnight). I never had trouble. Although I wouldn't mind, I would not want my wife or daughter walking alone after 8 or 9pm more than a block or two from campus.
Thanks for the map! it's very insightful, but I've been warned against going anywhere close to the south of the campus?

Old 05-19-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
TANK runs a bus (2x) every half-hour from the airport to downtown. Cost is $1.75. From downtown terminal you would get bus 19 towards northgate and get off at the university. City bus is $2 I think.

Renting a car would be easier, though. Not sure how familiar you are with city buses. Once the streetcar is in, getting from downtown to the university will be a snap.

Bus schedules for those routes.

http://www.tankbus.org/LinkClick.asp...2g%3d&tabid=72
http://www.go-metro.com/routes/Rt19.pdf
Thanks so much progmac, you have been EXTREMELY helpful and I am EXTREMELY worried about my move there because I have no idea what to expect. I am thinking about renting a car, but it would be troubling when I am returning the car, I would have to get back to uc somehow.

I am looking at Hertz rentals and none of them say anything about the car having any type of GPS (I know I would for sure get lost around KY-OH :/)

Old 05-19-2010, 11:15 AM

I think your best bet is to just get a cab, especially if you are arriving at night, because you can't see out the windows easily at night and you may miss your stop! It will cost $40 maybe but you won't have to worry about anything. Once you get your feet on the ground, you'll be far more comfortable about where to go and not go and when. Try not to stress too much and enjoy the move!

Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 AM

8,723 posts, read 7,049,942 times
Take a bus to downtown, and then a cab to UC. Will soften the cost.

A rental car will definitely be more expensive due to the problem of drop-off.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 PM

2,204 posts, read 4,458,426 times
Oh, get over yourself kjbrill! lol

Every area has good and bad parts. Hell, I was watching a news clip the other day about a trailer park in Butler County finally being taken down within the next 3 months or so because of drug deals and it being a theft magnet. Folks literally ripped the side of the trailers off to get to the copper pipping underneath.

In the city, you need to stay away from drug deals to stay safe ... in the rural areas you need to stay away from basement entrances incase the meth-lab(s) blows up.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:32 AM

2,375 posts, read 2,886,204 times
Pay me 150$ and I'll personally deliver you to your doorstep!

Old 05-20-2010, 07:53 AM

8,723 posts, read 7,049,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post

Every area has good and bad parts. Hell, I was watching a news clip the other day about a trailer park in Butler County finally being taken down within the next 3 months or so because of drug deals and it being a theft magnet. Folks literally ripped the side of the trailers off to get to the copper pipping underneath.

In the city, you need to stay away from drug deals to stay safe ... in the rural areas you need to stay away from basement entrances incase the meth-lab(s) blows up.
So what did I advise which is so bad? I totally agree there are problems in just about every location you can mention. I simply stated take a bus from CVG to downtown, rather simple, and then a cab out to their destination at UC. Another respondent said to take a specific Metro bus from downtown and then get off at UC. Then what? Where are you and where do you have to walk to? For someone expressing concern about how to get there, I thought a cab was a reasonable solution.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post

KJBrill only said to take a cab, which was helpful imo. Did you post this in the wrong thread?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:56 PM

I think I am just going to ask someone from UC to pick me up. I heard there are a lot of gun point robberies and theft occurring around campus and the city, any helpful tips on how to avoid this and where to avoid going to around campus?

Thanks so much, you guys have been so helpful. prog and kj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati