Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 07:07 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniofcincy View Post
Thanks so much! Is the gaslight area safe and convenient? How far is it from UC?
The gaslight area is charming and about a fifteen minute walk from campus. I've always felt safe there. One of my friends had an apartment very close to Graeter's (a local ice cream parlor) and we would walk everywhere from that apt. The IGA grocery store is there, Skyline Chili (another local favorite) is there, and we never had any issues. The apartments are old, but as far as location goes it's quite convenient. If money were no object, I'd go with the University Park Apartments though because they are new, lovely, and closer to campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 AM

64 posts, read 142,669 times
the gaslight is by far the best area to live. it maybe a lil less convenient cause its a lil longer walk or you need to catch a shuttle but its well worth it. im disappointed that i didnt live there instead i went to an shady apt complex at the bottom of riddle that had 2 known drug dealers on my floor and i witnessed 2 muggings and eventually left. so if you do choose riddle street i would suggest staying at the top of the street. but if i was you the gaslight would be my choice.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:15 PM

4 posts, read 28,407 times
I figure I'll put my two cents in since I've spent 90% of the past 4 years at and around UC.

UC is surrounded by residential areas. In my opinion, you'd be better off stay West or North of campus. The South and East are where a majority of the crime happens, but it's not that bad. Let me put it this way, if your walking home at 3am by yourself, you will most likely get mugged. And if you have a decent car it will get broken into at least once. Of course the south and east sides have most of the restaurants and bars.

If you have the money to spend, Stratford Apartments would be your best bet. They are right on Clifton Ave, across from Campus, fairly new and have nice amenities. They are pricey though. University Park apartments are basically pricey dorm rooms. You share with 1-3 other people, but you get your own room. The only nice thing about those it they are right one campus.

I have a few friends that live down Straight St that say it's nice, but I haven't really been over there.
Riddle Rd area is also decent as many people have mentioned. I've known many people to live down there, and the Market, although a little expensive, is nice to have.

People have mentioned the Forum, I would not suggest that. I've heard to many horror stories about that place. Plus without a car, it's not very close to anything. Sure they have a shuttle to take you to campus and back, but that's about it.

If you head North on Clifton, the Gaslight is the best place to be. Sure it's a little farther from campus, but there are free shuttles that you can pick up, plus if you get a bus pass, there is a bus that goes past campus every 13 minutes. There are some nice restaurants and some decent bars in the area, a movie theater, a grocery story(although it is pricey), and just a nice neighborhood to hang out in. Most of the apartments are right off LudlowAve/Jefferson. Some really nice large older buildings that are really unique. Go a couple streets in and there's tons of old victorians broken up to apartments and smaller buildings. The prices are generally decent for these places. I'd live there now, if I could find something in my price range that would let me have my dog.

The other area is over by the EPA building. I know one street is called Bishop. I've known a few people to leave over there. (Off of MLK.)

Old 07-28-2010, 06:32 PM

30 posts, read 85,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verruckt View Post
I figure I'll put my two cents in since I've spent 90% of the past 4 years at and around UC.

UC is surrounded by residential areas. In my opinion, you'd be better off stay West or North of campus. The South and East are where a majority of the crime happens, but it's not that bad. Let me put it this way, if your walking home at 3am by yourself, you will most likely get mugged. And if you have a decent car it will get broken into at least once. Of course the south and east sides have most of the restaurants and bars.

If you have the money to spend, Stratford Apartments would be your best bet. They are right on Clifton Ave, across from Campus, fairly new and have nice amenities. They are pricey though. University Park apartments are basically pricey dorm rooms. You share with 1-3 other people, but you get your own room. The only nice thing about those it they are right one campus.

I have a few friends that live down Straight St that say it's nice, but I haven't really been over there.
Riddle Rd area is also decent as many people have mentioned. I've known many people to live down there, and the Market, although a little expensive, is nice to have.

People have mentioned the Forum, I would not suggest that. I've heard to many horror stories about that place. Plus without a car, it's not very close to anything. Sure they have a shuttle to take you to campus and back, but that's about it.

If you head North on Clifton, the Gaslight is the best place to be. Sure it's a little farther from campus, but there are free shuttles that you can pick up, plus if you get a bus pass, there is a bus that goes past campus every 13 minutes. There are some nice restaurants and some decent bars in the area, a movie theater, a grocery story(although it is pricey), and just a nice neighborhood to hang out in. Most of the apartments are right off LudlowAve/Jefferson. Some really nice large older buildings that are really unique. Go a couple streets in and there's tons of old victorians broken up to apartments and smaller buildings. The prices are generally decent for these places. I'd live there now, if I could find something in my price range that would let me have my dog.

The other area is over by the EPA building. I know one street is called Bishop. I've known a few people to leave over there. (Off of MLK.)

Thanks! do you mean stratford heights? I think it's now owned by the Uni to house undergrads.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:34 PM

Can anyone tell me about the neighborhood around

Ravine (Near volkert) and W. McMillian? Is that area safe to walk to and from school? And how convenient is it to access supermarkets and restaurants/coffee shops from that area?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
the gaslight is by far the best area to live. it maybe a lil less convenient cause its a lil longer walk or you need to catch a shuttle but its well worth it. im disappointed that i didnt live there instead i went to an shady apt complex at the bottom of riddle that had 2 known drug dealers on my floor and i witnessed 2 muggings and eventually left. so if you do choose riddle street i would suggest staying at the top of the street. but if i was you the gaslight would be my choice.
Oh man. I hope that doesn't happen to me. I heard riddle road is often noisy because that's where all the college kids party.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
you can call duke energy and give them an address, they will tell you average utility bills. guestimate for a 1BR is that gas + electric including heat and air conditioning would average about $90 / month
Thank you progmac! You've been so helpful, THANK YOU!

I also wanted to ask about how I can get internet access here. Any suggestions about how to go about doing it and how long it would take them to do it?

Would duke energy for electricity, if I call them, would they activate it immediately?

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowrunr View Post
My husband and I visited Cincinnati this weekend. Lots of for rent signs everywhere by the school. Riddle, Probasco, Jeffferson, Bishop, anything around Ludlow are all nice streets for a female grad student. Small cafes, delis, shops, a grocery store and I believe a wallgreens are located on or within a block or two of Ludlow and Clifton. There is even a Skyline Chile and a Greaters (sp?) Ice Cream store (local favorites I am told). The shuttle runs up along there from the school as does public transportation.
I agree that you should look on Craigslist , some of their listings are offered thru rental agents... some even have pictures and Im sure they could send you more. Look for ones in the Clifton area. Also you can look at a street view to see what the outside of the apt looks like too.
My daughter really liked that area when she visited in May and it was close to DAAP, which is what she wanted.

Thank you! What is DAAP?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:49 PM

I am bad at searching for housing, if anyone has any postings they found, please feel free to PM me.

I am so worried about moving

Old 08-11-2010, 11:38 AM

4 posts, read 28,407 times
Craig's List is you best bet. There are hundreds of postings for Clifton apartments on there everyday. There are a lot of small rental property management companies that own most of the buildings in the area. I'll try and list a few of their websites:

gaslightproperties.com
uc4rent.com
rentuc.com
uptownrentals.com
roslynrealtyco.com
rentclifton.com
cmcproperties.com

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. The only one I had experience with personally is gaslight properties. What I have to say about them is, They have some nice properties, but don't expect the greatest of service. No horrible, but not good either. It took 3 months and several attempts to fix a leak that was there before I moved in. Then it took another year to come back and do the patch work to make it look nice again, but it was a cheap crappy apartment to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati