U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 02:20 PM

350 posts, read 462,647 times
^^ Not to mention Norwood has been on the upswing for years and has the distict advantage of not being mis-managed or neglected by the City of Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 02:44 PM

25,247 posts, read 31,122,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Evanston, laugh all you want, could well turn "hot."
I'd never laugh at that; there's loads of potential there. It's kind of a wonder Evanston hasn't been noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
But, it is unfair to describe what is happening in Norwood or Pleasant Ridge, already nice areas, as "gentrification."
Agreed. Norwood and Pleasant Ridge never became un-gentrified (is that a word?); Norwood may have become a little run down in isolated spots, but Pleasant Ridge has always been solid.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:50 AM

10 posts, read 11,915 times
(Pardon me for barging in here since I'm new to this forum and all.)

OTR is still going through a gentrification process? How long has that been going on? I mean, I remember them talking about how it was "almost completely gentrified" back when I lived in North College Hill, and that's been almost 4 years ago now.

Hm, that reminds me. How does NCH fare these days? It was getting worse when we moved away (part of the reason we moved; the other part being nothing to do in Cincy back then except expensive old Kings Island and the fireworks).

And I must say that I can't picture Westwood being any different than it was when I lived there nearly 10 years ago. Right off Harrison Avenue by the crappy old Kroger that always had several cop cars parked in front of it. Is that all still there?

Old 05-25-2010, 11:14 AM

25,247 posts, read 31,122,556 times
Anyone who says there isn't anything to do in Cincinnati either isn't trying all that hard, or has very narrow interests.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:07 PM

Narrow interests? Yeah, I'll be sure to tell my husband that. He's the one whose family is from the area. They aren't well-off, so yes, once money stopped rolling in thanks to the economy, everyone found out exactly how much there is to do in Cincinnati.

Indianapolis has the same problems too. There weren't enough free or very cheap events going on (and no, a Reds game isn't exactly cheap for the family anymore ever since The Great American Disaster Ballpark was finished) when I lived there. I visited both Indy and Cincy last summer and still heard the same complaints. If something has changed, do tell.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 PM

279 posts, read 367,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToNoMi View Post
Narrow interests? Yeah, I'll be sure to tell my husband that. He's the one whose family is from the area. They aren't well-off, so yes, once money stopped rolling in thanks to the economy, everyone found out exactly how much there is to do in Cincinnati.

Indianapolis has the same problems too. There weren't enough free or very cheap events going on (and no, a Reds game isn't exactly cheap for the family anymore ever since The Great American Disaster Ballpark was finished) when I lived there. I visited both Indy and Cincy last summer and still heard the same complaints. If something has changed, do tell.
That's lame. Cincinnati has a ridiculously amazing park district and last time I checked it didn't cost a dime to spend all day at one. The parks alone give you plenty of weekends worth of enjoyment.

Also, Reds games are expensive? I don't have stats, but I would be willing to bet that Reds tickets are among the cheapest in the league. Ever hear of buying $5 tickets a few days in advance? Even if you have a family of four, that's $20 for tickets. I don't know how much cheaper you can get than that.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:05 PM

350 posts, read 462,647 times
Quote:
(Pardon me for barging in here since I'm new to this forum and all.)

OTR is still going through a gentrification process? How long has that been going on? I mean, I remember them talking about how it was "almost completely gentrified" back when I lived in North College Hill, and that's been almost 4 years ago now.

A lot can change in a hood in 4 years...OTR is better than even one year ago.

Hm, that reminds me. How does NCH fare these days?

Not well, most of NCH and Mt. Healthy are getting shady.

It was getting worse when we moved away (part of the reason we moved; the other part being nothing to do in Cincy back then except expensive old Kings Island and the fireworks).

Really, what can't you do here within reason?

And I must say that I can't picture Westwood being any different than it was when I lived there nearly 10 years ago. Right off Harrison Avenue by the crappy old Kroger that always had several cop cars parked in front of it. Is that all still there?

No, that section near McHenry is definitely the achilles heel of Westwood but is getting better. Everything north of Werk Rd, not on Harrison Ave is very nice.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:11 PM

8,705 posts, read 6,618,787 times
Yea, as I have commented, many interests seem to think the gentrification of Cincinnati neighborhoods is a done deal. When you bring back a higher level of resident the businesses will return. A stable neighborhood will then spawn a demand for better schools.

But to me this is still highly speculative. If it was so easy, why hasn't it happened before? The only reason I get on this forum is the people in the suburbs are unhappy, and desire to return to an urban living. Specifically, the 20-somethings want to reject their suburban up-bringing and surroundings.

The 20-somethings want something simplier? Meaning, they do not want to work? If you want something for nothing, that is what you will get - nothing. If you are willing to settle for something less, a one car or a nor car home instead of a two-car garage, then maybe that is achievabled.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Rider View Post
A lot can change in a hood in 4 years...OTR is better than even one year ago..
I was asking a genuine question about that, so thank you for an answer. Seriously, I recall reading back then that they were "so close to being done," so I was rather surprised to see it still being discussed. It seems there's always something slowing down progress in OTR, so I wondered if it was more of that.

Quote:
Not well, most of NCH and Mt. Healthy are getting shady.

I'm not surprised, honestly. I see that the house I was renting there is back for sale now. The landlord and his wife had been in the rental game for only a few years, they'd said. Not surprising. Their lender kept sending their "important notices about non-payment" letters to our address, so I'm glad we left when we did. Kind of sad, really, because I miss the friends I made around NCH. There were some nice older couples around there.

Quote:
Really, what can't you do here within reason?

I can find many things with which to entertain myself. I had to as a kid living outside of town without much to do besides use my imagination and work on my grandparents' farm. My husband has always lived in the city, and he was a bit spoiled as a kid with his family taking him places in Cincy every weekend (that's my opinion though). He's not much for city parks and such. I know there are other people who share the same complaints, and there are people from other cities who come there expecting Cincy to compare with bigger market cities. It's getting there, but it's not there yet. That's why I'm interested to find out what's going on with this Banks Project stuff.

Also, another complaint I've heard from people moving into the city from other big cities is the lack of transit. I don't know if it's different now, but I remember how difficult it was to get to various places outside of downtown if you needed to go by bus (I also know it's also difficult to find a job when you don't have transportation other than the city buses; my aunt-in-law is having problems with that because she cannot drive). I know there are talks of street cars (which I like), but I also know there are a lot of people shooting that down. I'd forgotten about that issue elsewhere on this board.

To the other commenter about Reds tickets: the last time I went, the cheap seats were $8 a piece, so has the price went down? Even still, I was also talking about free events...or even free places like museums (I honestly can't remember there being any down there) for people with limited income or who don't wish to spend a lot to do something (and who aren't into going to parks).

Old 05-25-2010, 01:59 PM

2,316 posts, read 2,046,520 times
Quote:

Enough free or cheap depends on what your interests are. Hubby and I like classical music and church music. Between CCM, community choirs and church music programs, we can attend a good-quality free concert 5, 6 or 7 days a week if we want to. We enjoy the city's and county's excellent and varied park system. Actually there's an astonishing list of free activities every week in the paper. I understand if you don't find a lot of them of interest, but it's not accurate to say they're not there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati