Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:25 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times

Advertisements

Note: there is no such place as the "Upper Ohio Valley."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 09:45 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Hmmmm.....sounds like you're talking about South Carolina. Outside of where wealthy Ohioans have bought their vacation homes in Charleston and Hilton Head, South Carolina is one of the most poverty-stricken states in the Old Confederacy....and that's saying a lot.
South Carolina is a very poor state outside of Hilton and Kiawah Island and parts of Charleston. Lot of Ohio people move to South Carolina because its a cheaper state to live and its much warmer in the winter. I used to vacation in Kiawah Island and most of people were from OH, PA, MI and IL but especially OH.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:53 AM

465 posts, read 658,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post
That reminds me of the connection I heard of that supposedly exists between Tampa and the Upper Ohio Valley. According to someone I know who lives in that part of Ohio and has lived in St. Pete, there's a lot of people from the Upper Ohio Valley who move to the Tampa, area and I guess people from Tampa love them. I can believe it too because I also knew somebody else from that part of OH who lived in Tampa. I just don't understand how the hell people from the valley can afford to live in the Tampa area. There also seems to be a lot of people from that part of OH who moved to Cali. I sure as hell don't know how the hell they get by there! They must be like the low life characters you see in TV shows and movies which take place in Cali, i.e., two or more people living together in motel rooms and hanging out in seedy bars and women walking along the freeway prostituting themselves in the middle of the day, yeah, you get the picture, kind of like dessert rats I think you call them? IDK.
You seem have an odd understanding of how prostitution works. If you see women walking along the freeway in the middle of the day, they are most certainly not prostitutes, that's simply not a very economical place to work in that industry.

Second, it is a bit strange to dig up a negative thread without adding to the discussion in any meaningful way. Your response is vague and apparently not at all related to Cincinnati. It seems from your other posts that you live in Pittsburgh, the two cities are actually very similar. Just about anything ill you can say about one, you can also say about the other. Likewise their better qualities are also jointly held. I think there's a desire by residents to create distinctions, but it's really pointless, in my opinion. Culture pays no attention to state or city boundaries, and if people are in the same region, they'll have similar cultural traits.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:13 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
South Carolina is a very poor state outside of Hilton and Kiawah Island and parts of Charleston. Lot of Ohio people move to South Carolina because its a cheaper state to live and its much warmer in the winter. I used to vacation in Kiawah Island and most of people were from OH, PA, MI and IL but especially OH.
Yes, Kiawah is nice, as is Savannah which I consider to be in SC. The old adage of "make your Money in the North and spend it in retirement in the South" remains largely true. It's admittedly become easier to make money in the South as Unions have forced a lot of manufacturing jobs from Ohio down there, but it's still more difficult to find a high paying job in the South than it is in the North.

That's the primary reason for the widespread poverty in the Old South. Just a lack of good jobs, and the educational standards are alarmingly low. The quality of public schools in the South, K-12 and universities is very poor. Until the 1990's----there were literally no jobs outside of farming and tourism in the Old South. Southern boys had to join the military to get out.

We sometimes take a short-cut on a back highway from I-95 to Hilton Head if traffic on the main route is bad...it's like stepping back in time 200 years. You see Mammy's and the descendants of Colonel Reb sitting on their porch steps....guys my descendants shot and killed.

Scary stuff. Makes my skin crawl.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:19 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Yes, Kiawah is nice, as is Savannah which I consider to be in SC. The old adage of "make your Money in the North and spend it in retirement in the South" remains largely true. It's admittedly become easier to make money in the South as Unions have forced a lot of manufacturing jobs from Ohio down there, but it's still more difficult to find a high paying job in the South than it is in the North.

That's the primary reason for the widespread poverty in the Old South. Just a lack of good jobs, and the educational standards are alarmingly low. The quality of public schools in the South, K-12 and universities is very poor. Until the 1990's----there were literally no jobs outside of farming and tourism in the Old South. Southern boys had to join the military to get out.

We sometimes take a short-cut on a back highway from I-95 to Hilton Head if traffic on the main route is bad...it's like stepping back in time 200 years. You see Mammy's and the descendants of Colonel Reb sitting on their porch steps....guys my descendants shot and killed.

Scary stuff. Makes my skin crawl.
I like the South thou in general only downside to living in the South is the heat and humidity in the summer, the people are pretty outgoing and friendly for the most part. Some people in rural areas are uneducated and downright ignorant but you can find that in rural areas if the midwest as well. Lot of my family that lived in Ohio moved to Georgia and Florida to retire or find better paying jobs and to escape the cold winters. I need to get back to Ohio to go to an Ohio St football game one of these years.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 4,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post
I just don't understand how the hell people from the valley can afford to live in the Tampa area. There also seems to be a lot of people from that part of OH who moved to Cali. I sure as hell don't know how the hell they get by there! They must be like the low life characters you see in TV shows and movies which take place in Cali, i.e., two or more people living together in motel rooms and hanging out in seedy bars and women walking along the freeway prostituting themselves in the middle of the day, yeah, you get the picture, kind of like dessert rats I think you call them? IDK.
What exactly is the definition of an "Alastad?" I have an idea, but to state my opinion would likely be a violation of forum rules.

1. I was born in Cincinnati and lived there during all of my formative years. My upbringing was decidedly blue collar, lower middle class (barely middle class). My education was excellent. (Reading Community Schools, then 3 years in the US Army, then U of Cincinnati)

2. I landed a job in Southern California in 1990 at the age of 25. I have lived/worked in SoCal for a total of 28 years, including the 3 years in the US Army.

3. I retired last month at the age of 50. I own an apartment complex in SoCal and my 5,013 Sq. Foot, custom built home is on the market right now. I am financially "set" for life.

4. I am moving "home" to Cincinnati the split second that my California house sells.

Your idea of what Cincinnati is/isn't is widely skewed.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:44 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
My grandparents retired and lived on Kiawah Island...family still owns the house (why the heck not, its right on one of the tidal creeks and is a great place to go unwind in.
Outside of Kiawah/Charleston and of course Hilton Head, and the area I used to live in Fort Mill, when I lived in the Charlotte area, the rest of SC is very trashy and poverty stricken and keeps electing idiots like Nikki Haley
South Carolinians hate Ohioans because we treat their women better then their men do. And we aren't rascist like they are...the fact they still have the confederate flag proudly flying on their state capital grounds tells you all you need to know about that state.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:47 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,999 times
"Your idea of what Cincinnati is/isn't is widely skewed".[/quote]

Tends to happen when people make comments about places they have never lived in for a significant amount of time.

Except for Detroit, I doubt there is a city in America that I wouldn't learn to like if I actually lived there for a decent amount of time...of course a place is as good as you make it.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:48 PM

549 posts, read 848,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
"Your idea of what Cincinnati is/isn't is widely skewed".
Tends to happen when people make comments about places they have never lived in for a significant amount of time.

Except for Detroit, I doubt there is a city in America that I wouldn't learn to like if I actually lived there for a decent amount of time...of course a place is as good as you make it.[/quote]

Why single out Detroit? There's a lot to love there. It's not my first choice either, but if you moved there I'm sure you'd find something to appreciate.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:42 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,901 times
The Ohio-West Virginia border area is Appalachian Ohio and not representative of most of Ohio.

As for the OP, look who Cincinnati voted for mayor: Cranley, the guy who tried to kill the streetcar and threw a big long temper tantrum makes it hard for other cities to take you guys seriously down there, and as for the Ohio governor: Kasich. Again. There's your bad rap and the reason why Ohio is looked down upon as backwards. So glad I got out of that state and live in a blue one where liberals actually vote so that our cities have some control over their destinies without having to fight tooth and nail with a pro-suburban-rural state that is hostile to urban interests, let alone anti-urban mayors. Not only did we vote for a female mayor, but we voted again for Al Franken. A couple of Ohio related fun facts: Dayton is our governor and for Columbusites, St Paul has a mayor Coleman too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati