Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 03:14 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post

Wait, what? Are you saying that the non-white population has to be taken care of in some way? That sounds pretty racist to me, but I'll let you explain that one.
Well, you missed the point several times, and made a glaring error above, but in Cincinnati, yes we do have to take care of our underclass, which happens here to be mostly black. We would take care of them in Albuquerque and there they would mostly be Native Americans. The underclass (perpetually unemployed, imprisoned, addicted, and culturally discouraged) take services from the City and County at a rate of as much as 10 times the middle class population, for things like health, police, fire, special ed., public recreation, etc. they contribute at a tiny fraction for fees, income taxes, and property taxes. I don't object to it. If you knew a little more about me, I would be the last person you would call racist. But I don't need to defend myself to you and do intend to do so.

And, when one averages numbers like per capita income, housing cost, crime, etc. the presence of a large underclass like Cincinnati has, brings the numbers down. Columbus has nothing like what we have here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 09:20 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Well, you missed the point several times, and made a glaring error above, but in Cincinnati, yes we do have to take care of our underclass, which happens here to be mostly black. We would take care of them in Albuquerque and there they would mostly be Native Americans. The underclass (perpetually unemployed, imprisoned, addicted, and culturally discouraged) take services from the City and County at a rate of as much as 10 times the middle class population, for things like health, police, fire, special ed., public recreation, etc. they contribute at a tiny fraction for fees, income taxes, and property taxes. I don't object to it. If you knew a little more about me, I would be the last person you would call racist. But I don't need to defend myself to you and do intend to do so.

And, when one averages numbers like per capita income, housing cost, crime, etc. the presence of a large underclass like Cincinnati has, brings the numbers down. Columbus has nothing like what we have here.
Well, you certainly did answer the OP's question, didn't you. You're doing all you can to keep that bad rep going. Jesus.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:48 PM

224 posts, read 297,240 times
I guess is the thread that will go on for infinity...

Anyway, the original question was, "Why does Cincinnati and all of Ohio have such a bad rep?" Lots of reasons. Some of them valid, others unfair.

One unfair reason: In many quarters, if you're not located on one of the coasts or if your city's name isn't Chicago, your city may be labeled as flyover country, backward, or what have you. Of course, many people who believe this about Cincinnati or Ohio have never been here, spent little time here, or spent there time here long before things started turning around in OTR and downtown.

Unfair reason or valid reason, depending on your perspective: Some images die hard. When I lived away from Cincinnati in the late 80s/early 90s, Cincinnati did not have a good rep. Can anyone say Mapplethorpe, Marge Schott, or Pete Rose? Pete does not have the broad base of support outside of Cincy like he does here. Like it or not, some of the old images persist.

Valid reason: In terms of the people here, Cincinnati is hit or miss. If you luck out and have a fairly good workplace, place of worship, neighbors, etc., you can meet some really good people here. If you're not so lucky, you'll still meet a lot of good people, but many of them will be so effing standoffish and guarded, it's like good luck in getting to know them. And it can drive you batty after a while if you have to deal with enough of these passive-aggressive, uptight twits who can't seem to deal with anyone who's different than them.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell View Post
Ohio is a dying state, that is why it has a bad rep. It is almost all industry based. Drive through the state and it's plain as day that it is a dying state. Many exits have become ghost towns.... you see abandoned factories everywhere, trailer parks, etc. Ugly, bland, drab...at least in my opinion.

Cincinnati has a bad rep dating back to the 90's when the city leaders began catering to the criminal element.
Ohio is not a dieing state we are one of the top states Ohio since the begining has been a mini usa with industry in the north farm in the middle and settlements in the south wich the south part is where hillbillies are and their from the southern states but since they pass through them to the north they assume all Ohio is that way and that's why we get a bad rep

Old 04-21-2015, 07:08 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Not everyone but most people I have met traveling the US hated Ohio and Ohio citizens. I have no idea why. I can't figure it out as well. People tend to hate OH and PA all over the US for some reason just my experience. I grew up in Ohio and I liked it especially Columbus.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:39 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Not everyone but most people I have met traveling the US hated Ohio and Ohio citizens. I have no idea why. I can't figure it out as well. People tend to hate OH and PA all over the US for some reason just my experience. I grew up in Ohio and I liked it especially Columbus.
Someone forgot to take their meds today.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:56 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Not sure about that. I'm from Connecticut and most of the negativity directed at the Midwest was not directed at Ohio but the Midwest in general. The people from Ohio that moved to our town were generally considered to be OK and made friends fairly easily. We had bigger problems with people from other Midwest states mostly due to the fact they seemed overly pretentious. Sadly I've still found that to be the case as an adult currently living in Indiana and formerly in the KC region. While I did not see much of this behavior in western Kansas (except from transplants from the eastern part of KS or other areas like OK) it was pretty common in the KC area. A guy I knew from Texas in the KC area said the same thing. He likened the people in the KC area and most of the Midwest to being little kids trying to behave like adults. Childish.

These issues are common in the workplace out here. Not sure about Ohio but have seen a couple of examples of it from high school kids in Cincinnati area retail outlets. I don't think anyone has instructed them how to behave when dealing with customers. Adults to date have been fine for the most part. In Indianapolis the pretentious behavior is a major problem in the work place. It is counterproductive to productivity and efficiency that directly affects customers and in turn the customers behavior also negatively impacts our service to them. And in turn this has led to situations that prevent us from serving our other customers properly and lost revenue for us all. In New England and much of the northeast this kind of behavior would lead to a visit with the manager and if the problems persisted, termination of the employee that is creating the problems over and over again. But in Indianapolis I've noted it is tolerated and even encouraged. I hope I don't see this in Cincy otherwise my stay will be short lived.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:23 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud Ohioan View Post
Ohio is not a dieing state we are one of the top states Ohio since the begining has been a mini usa with industry in the north farm in the middle and settlements in the south wich the south part is where hillbillies are and their from the southern states but since they pass through them to the north they assume all Ohio is that way and that's why we get a bad rep
You need to go to school and learn punctuation, my friend!

Old 05-28-2015, 04:47 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Toy View Post
I guess is the thread that will go on for infinity...

Anyway, the original question was, "Why does Cincinnati and all of Ohio have such a bad rep?" Lots of reasons. Some of them valid, others unfair.

One unfair reason: In many quarters, if you're not located on one of the coasts or if your city's name isn't Chicago, your city may be labeled as flyover country, backward, or what have you. Of course, many people who believe this about Cincinnati or Ohio have never been here, spent little time here, or spent there time here long before things started turning around in OTR and downtown.

Unfair reason or valid reason, depending on your perspective: Some images die hard. When I lived away from Cincinnati in the late 80s/early 90s, Cincinnati did not have a good rep. Can anyone say Mapplethorpe, Marge Schott, or Pete Rose? Pete does not have the broad base of support outside of Cincy like he does here. Like it or not, some of the old images persist.

Valid reason: In terms of the people here, Cincinnati is hit or miss. If you luck out and have a fairly good workplace, place of worship, neighbors, etc., you can meet some really good people here. If you're not so lucky, you'll still meet a lot of good people, but many of them will be so effing standoffish and guarded, it's like good luck in getting to know them. And it can drive you batty after a while if you have to deal with enough of these passive-aggressive, uptight twits who can't seem to deal with anyone who's different than them.
I have a question for you. I have met several people from Ohio though only one person from the Cincinatti area who is perfectly described by your last sentences. Unfortunately, I have to deal with this person but the weird passive aggressiveness is really ridiculous and different from PA behavior I have experienced in the New England or here in my current home of the Pac NW. It's like being nudged until you are pissed then she has an excuse to hit you... but with a smile. I honestly have never seen weirder behavior and I have lived all over but never in the Mid-West. Any advice on how to deal with people from this region, Cincinatti/ Kentucky?

Old 05-28-2015, 05:31 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I have a question for you. I have met several people from Ohio though only one person from the Cincinatti area who is perfectly described by your last sentences. Unfortunately, I have to deal with this person but the weird passive aggressiveness is really ridiculous and different from PA behavior I have experienced in the New England or here in my current home of the Pac NW. It's like being nudged until you are pissed then she has an excuse to hit you... but with a smile. I honestly have never seen weirder behavior and I have lived all over but never in the Mid-West. Any advice on how to deal with people from this region, Cincinatti/ Kentucky?
Well, it would be a good idea to start to spell Cincinnati correctly, for starters.

I've lived in my west side neighborhood--several streets where there's an active neighborhood club, etc.--for 15 years. Still, when I'm out walking with my next door neighbor, people from her parish, people whose kids went to school with her kids 55 years ago, etc. will stand and talk to her and barely acknowledge that I'm even there. They just chatter on with her about other people I don't know, or topics of mutual interest that completely exclude me. I'm reasonably polite, friendly, and I know I haven't done anything to make these people dislike me. I've finally concluded that they are just insular and HAVE NO MANNERS. I don't know that Cincinnati has a corner on such people, but they sure are around here, in plentiful supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati