U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 08:20 AM

311 posts, read 376,274 times

Advertisements

My son is interested in attending Great Oaks Tech. school, he's in his 20's & doesn't live in Ohio. He's done research, but would like input on some questions. A hotel in that area that will except extended stay for about 4 months. (Found one that is off of I-275. But can't find any reviews.)It seems more expensive to rent an apartment. How is the traffic on E. Kemper rd and that area, crime, has any one dealt w/the school? Grocery stores close by. Is there any tax on food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 12:26 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,857,017 times
Check out Extended Stay America in north Blue Ash, 11145 Kenwood Road, close to I-275. It is quite close to Great Oaks (Scarlet Oaks) campus. Area is primarily commercial/office, so traffic is heavy at rush hour, light otherwise. No tax on food at grocery. If want to be closer to grocery & fast-food try Extended Stay America in on south side of commercial area, 4260 Hunt Rd, Blue Ash.

Furnished apartments are not so common in this area. The ones available are designed for corporate relocation housing, paid by company, and want 6-12 month lease. Sharonville itself also has wide variety of restaurant, grocery, etc.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,099,341 times
I shouldn't post this perhaps, because I am not entirely in command of my facts, but I seem to recall some type of extended stay establishment in Sharonville being at the focal point of some bad activity.

I could be wrong, but I think the incident about a year ago or so where those hispanic itinerant workers were killed was in an extended stay suite of some time in Sharonville.

Also last year, that eastern European guy that they picked up for being a serial bank robber wearing the "black guy" disguise was staying in one of those either in Sharonville or Springdale.

FWIW

Old 06-09-2010, 12:43 AM

4,748 posts, read 11,363,143 times
The homicides of the four immigrants (which turned out to be an "inside job") occurred in the Timber Ridge apartment complex and were an anomaly. Unlike all too many other "communities" of its kind throughout Greater Cincinnati - which started out as sought-after "swinging singles" havens for students and yuppies only to skid into Section 8 - Timber Ridge as a rule remains a well-kept and safe place to live. The same holds true for the other apt/condo clusters in Sharonville and the surrounding area, where there's no lack of them.
I wouldn't lose sleep worrying about someplace's having been where a bank robber got theirs. All that says about the establishment is that they were willing to accept payment for the room in cash (LOL!)
Any "extended day" around Sharonville or along 275 (Homewood Suites, Courtyard, etc) should be fine if not exactly inexpensive. There are also a few older lodging places strung along Reading Rd (US 42) headed south from Sharonville, left over from the days not all that long ago when there were no Interstates and the county line marked the start of farm country. One of them, Condon's, was operated by the parents of the Reds' immortal Johnny Bench for a while. It still appears nicely maintained from the outside and also well patronized, as does the more cheesy-appearing Evendale Motel nearby. Say what you might about truckers, they're usually time-crunched and are also required by law to break up their trips after no more than "X" number of hours on the road. Making z's behind the cab gets old, and today's mega truck stops are noisy and not always particularly secure. So a fair number of long-distance haulers still bunk at motels; single guys in particular even set up weekly/monthly/longer rental arrangements. They're unencumbered by leases and can therefore pull up stakes quickly when the geographic base of their job changes. All of which is to say, there always seems to be at least one big rig parked outside these venerable hostelries. There may not be free breakfasts or even a swimming pool, but someone who doesn't demand "niceties" could make out well from a financial standpoint. Like roadside diners, if you see a tractor-trailer stashed at a place to stay it speaks well for the business.
Farther south on 42, just past the Route 126 expressway, is another series of three establishments which offer both short- and long-term living arrangements. My cautionary note for these is loud because the surrounding area has significantly "gone to seed." The Sycamore Hotel in particular has seen more than its share of unseemly goings-on on the premises and/or arrests of bad actors who give it as their address. The Drake Motel has downscaled from its heyday but still presents an acceptable facade, while the Carrousel Inn & Suites between them has fallen far from its glory as "Ohio's Only Five-Star Motel" but continues to be deemed acceptable by travelers and transients on a budget. Considering any of these would depend on your son's, shall we say, sense of adventure and self-confidence. At the Carrousel especially, while the occasional dealer or hooker has been known to set up shop there anybody who's streetwise shouldn't run into any hassles. But no one with "a lick of sense" would tarry outside long at night or go for a stroll around the neighborhood after sundown.
Since this is only for four months, just about anywhere would do as a place to sleep bearing that in mind.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:23 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,111,212 times
I'd suggest contacting Great Oaks directly for advice on where to stay. I'm sure they get this question a lot. You should be able to find a clean, safe place at a reasonable price closer than either Blue Ash or the area south of Reading, which with due respect to Goyguy I consider pretty dangerous.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:01 PM

311 posts, read 376,274 times
Thanks to everyone for all your posts. We went to Sharonville this week. We were able to get alot of questions answered and definetly eliminated the extended stay on Chester rd..Thinking about the one on Chesterdalerd. I believe that's Springdale!? But may have to rethink that one now! You guys would know the area better than me. Thankfully my son is always aware of what's going on around him, and really is old enough to take care of himself. But as a mom...any moms out there know what I mean. I did asked the school & they don't have much experince w/out of state students, but was able to suggest one place. But maybe it's something they can think about for future students. Any additional info would be great.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:53 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,857,017 times
The extended stay on Chesterdale Rd, north of I-275 may be an option. But I would still consider those in the Blue Ash Industrial Park area closeby. This Blue Ash area, anything along Reed Hartman Highway, is a high class, expensive, commercial area. The majority will be short-term, corporate sponsored, relocations. If he can afford the rent, it would be my preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati