Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:57 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,199,958 times

Advertisements

I'll start.

Most Important - Miami

Compliments - Orlando. I chose Orlando because I feel if Miami were not in Florida, Orlando would be the most important. Granted they are not in the same tier of cities, but Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, & St. Petersburg are not either. I see it as Miami being a big brother or sister of Orlando. Economically both cities thrive off tourism as well as other business being included.
Not to say Orlando is right behind Miami, I just think if Miami needed assistance Orlando could help the most.
Skyline wise No City in Florida compliments Miami so so much for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 04:00 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,961,222 times
Nice thread.

Pittsburgh, I can see it complimenting Philadelphia.

Ohio, Columbus and Cincinnati can compliment Cleveland.

Texas, Dallas can compliment Houston. Vice versa.

California, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Nice thread.

Pittsburgh, I can see it complimenting Philadelphia.

Ohio, Columbus and Cincinnati can compliment Cleveland.

Texas, Dallas can compliment Houston. Vice versa.

California, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Thanks.

Curious as to why yo chose San Fran instead of San Diego

Old 06-09-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Thanks.

Curious as to why yo chose San Fran instead of San Diego
The diversity of people, the educational institutions (Los Angeles has some good ones, San Francisco is a bit better- it's a good substitute city/area if LA were to disappear), the tourism, and the media attention and businesses/port of the Bay Area.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
The diversity of people, the educational institutions (Los Angeles has some good ones, San Francisco is a bit better- it's a good substitute city/area if LA were to disappear), the tourism, and the media attention and businesses/port of the Bay Area.
Oh Cool. I want to learn more about California, don't know much about it. That is why I asked. I always hear people talking about how big San Diego is but I never hear about it as much as any other city in L.A.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Oh Cool. I want to learn more about California, don't know much about it. That is why I asked. I always hear people talking about how big San Diego is but I never hear about it as much as any other city in L.A.
San Diego is a great city, it's 2 hours of a drive away from Los Angeles, and it's like a mini LA. It's one of my favorite cities, but it's California's 3rd city. After Los Angeles, and San Francisco. It has quite a lot of competition in it's own state. But to still come out on top of Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento, the city of San Diego must be doing something right!

Old 06-09-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
San Diego is a great city, it's 2 hours of a drive away from Los Angeles, and it's like a mini LA. It's one of my favorite cities, but it's California's 3rd city. After Los Angeles, and San Francisco. It has quite a lot of competition in it's own state. But to still come out on top of Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento, the city of San Diego must be doing something right!

Understood. Since Florida is where there are many cities to choose from, how would you group florida?

Old 06-09-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Understood. Since Florida is where there are many cities to choose from, how would you group florida?
Main city:
Miami

Secondary cities:
Orlando
Tampa
Jacksonville (at present with the growth)
Fort Lauderdale

Miami is the main city, if it were to disappear, I can see Tampa and Orlando picking up the slack to give Florida a competitive edge, and economically Jacksonville would be a good alternative too, especially since it's been one of the few cities to have weathered the recession well in Florida, and it's expanding it's economy.
Fort Lauderdale is a given, it would try to replicate a Miami style atmosphere.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:35 PM

196 posts, read 612,585 times
My state is so unbalanced. What complements New York City? (EVERYONE complIments it.) Granted, I could just say the most important city is Manhattan and Brooklyn complements it. But NYC as a whole? Boston kind of complements it, actually, but that's not in this state. I guess Albany complements New York: the financial/cultural center and the government center.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:37 PM

My problem with jacksonville is the Metro population. Miami has over 5,000,000 so I mean Ft. Lauderdale could definitely cut the slack. While Tampa and Orlando would give Florida a competitive edge, we (Florida) would be no where near what we were if Miami was to go. I just dont see any of the other 3 cities not in South Florida fitting in place ALL THE WAY. I think you take a bit from Tampa Orlando and Jacksonville and start a "New Miami"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City