Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa or Houston?
Houston 95 54.29%
Tampa 80 45.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:23 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,159,873 times

Advertisements

I like the Tampa Bay Area, but I think out of all of Florida it really does have the weirdest people and the most sex offenders like Overcooked_Oatmeal said. I believe it also has the highest percentage of old people anywhere else, but you still find plenty of young folks. I hate saying stuff like that though because Tampa really is a nice city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 05:19 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,936,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Tampa does not seem to be getting annihilated in the poll as of yet, we will have to see how that goes.

As I have stated before there is plenty going on in Tampa, I doubt someone would run out of things to do here. Don't forget you have Clearwater and St.Pete in the metro also.

Clearwater beach is really one of the prettiest beaches that I've been to.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:56 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,576,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Since Florida is such a popular destination for families, it seems to be popular destination for sex offenders too. All those children in that area makes it a veritable smorgasbord for pedophiles. It's also a prime zone for sex trafficking. If I ever were to have children, I wouldn't dare raise them somewhere like that. I seem to hear about more stories of child abductions in Florida than anywhere else, particularly in Tampa Bay. Schools in Florida are also known to excel at being at or below average.
Wasn't going to quote your whole post, I figured I would address this part first.

Once again the claim that there are so many more sex offenders here. Firstly there are at least 22 states with a higher forcible rapes per capita than Florida. Florida also has one of the best records at registering and tracking sex offenders. I always hear people talk about how many sex offenders are listed for Florida not realizing that some states do not even list all their offenders.

Here is a quote from an older article, the most recent I could find on the subject though.

USATODAY.com - Survey: Many states losing sex offenders

Quote:
It found that states on average were unable to account for 24% of sex offenders supposed to be in the databases. And 19 states, including Texas and New York, said they were unable to track how many sex offenders were failing to register, or simply did not know.
And

Quote:
Among the states with the best compliance rates is Florida, where state officials told the group only 4.7% of 27,689 offenders have failed to update their addresses.
As far as education goes Education Week ranked Florida #10 in the nation last year in their Quality Counts ranking. This is educators ranking the states, not some flawed government system that lets each state determine their own criteria.

You then go on to bring up down on their luck types and low paying service jobs. Florida's median household income is $58,339 which is about $4,800 below the national average. Since there is no state income tax it looks like Florida is doing Ok.

I'll with hold comment on the tar balls on the beach until they oil gets a little closer, there is no way to say right now what is going to happen.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:01 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,576,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I like the Tampa Bay Area, but I think out of all of Florida it really does have the weirdest people and the most sex offenders like Overcooked_Oatmeal said. I believe it also has the highest percentage of old people anywhere else, but you still find plenty of young folks. I hate saying stuff like that though because Tampa really is a nice city.
Hillsborough County has a lower median age, 35.8, than the national median, 36.8.

I already addressed the sex offender issue in my last post.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:13 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,387,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
i like the tampa bay area, but i think out of all of florida it really does have the weirdest people and the most sex offenders like overcooked_oatmeal said. I believe it also has the highest percentage of old people anywhere else, but you still find plenty of young folks. I hate saying stuff like that though because tampa really is a nice city.
hahahahahaha!!!!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:59 AM

12 posts, read 54,624 times
As someone who moved to Tampa five years ago (after living all over Texas for a quarter of a century, including 8 years in the Greater Houston Metropolis), I'd honestly never move back to Houston. Yes, it's much bigger in size and is extremely sprawling but is certainly a laggard for an area with that much of a populous. There's a reason you hear so much more about NYC, LA, and Chicago while Houston is a very distant fourth.

The city itself is quite dirty. It's been voted the "Dirtiest City in America" multiple times by various enviornmental reviews, including the EPA - Houston among most polluted cities, lung association says - Houston Business Journal. The smog is horrible on some days, as brown clouds of haze from petro chemicals drowned out the skyline. This also intensified the humidity and unlike Tampa, there's no breeze from the surrounding bays and Gulf of Mexico to alleviate it.

I've also never heard of Galveston being used as a selling point for Houston. It's over an hour drive for anyone living north or west of the 610 loop. It was disgusting BEFORE Hurricane Ike, and I was visiting friends just last year and a majority of the restaurants were still boarded up. What little beachfront there was is now further eroded. The dark imported sand was littered with seaweed and public trash and the water is still brown (was always referred to as the "G-town Brown").

Houston is essentially a huge urban metromess of concrete. There are some fantastic restaurants, but it's also been labeled the "Fattest City in America" multiple times. A lot due in part because of the poor air quality, lack of outdoor recreation for a city of that size, etc.

While Tampa certainly has plenty of faults (incompetent city officials that lack a progressive instinct and lots of traffic congestion), it's a wonderful place to live if you enjoy the outdoors. Tampa ranked #5 in "The best cities for the outdoors" Best Cities For The Outdoors - Forbes.com. If you enjoy boating, fishing, beautiful beaches, and golf there aren't many better places in the country. This is what has essentially changed me from a proud Texas to a happy Floridian. I love the fact that we're an easy 45 minute drive to 3 of the Top 10 beaches in North America - Caladesi Island, Fort Desoto, and Honeymoon Island. Everywhere you look, water!!!

I realize people have to sometimes go where school, a spouse, or a job takes them. You can make the most out of any place. For me personally though, living in the Houston Area again would be sad.

Last edited by JTX97; 06-13-2010 at 11:09 AM..

Old 06-13-2010, 12:30 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,094,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTX97 View Post
As someone who moved to Tampa five years ago (after living all over Texas for a quarter of a century, including 8 years in the Greater Houston Metropolis), I'd honestly never move back to Houston. Yes, it's much bigger in size and is extremely sprawling but is certainly a laggard for an area with that much of a populous. There's a reason you hear so much more about NYC, LA, and Chicago while Houston is a very distant fourth.
Or maybe because they are 3x's bigger than Houston......just saying.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:08 PM

113 posts, read 249,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTX97 View Post

The city itself is quite dirty. It's been voted the "Dirtiest City in America" multiple times by various enviornmental reviews, including the EPA - Houston among most polluted cities, lung association says - Houston Business Journal. The smog is horrible on some days, as brown clouds of haze from petro chemicals drowned out the skyline. This also intensified the humidity and unlike Tampa, there's no breeze from the surrounding bays and Gulf of Mexico to alleviate it.

I've also never heard of Galveston being used as a selling point for Houston. It's over an hour drive for anyone living north or west of the 610 loop. It was disgusting BEFORE Hurricane Ike, and I was visiting friends just last year and a majority of the restaurants were still boarded up. What little beachfront there was is now further eroded. The dark imported sand was littered with seaweed and public trash and the water is still brown (was always referred to as the "G-town Brown").

Houston is essentially a huge urban metromess of concrete. There are some fantastic restaurants, but it's also been labeled the "Fattest City in America" multiple times. A lot due in part because of the poor air quality, lack of outdoor recreation for a city of that size, etc.

While Tampa certainly has plenty of faults (incompetent city officials that lack a progressive instinct and lots of traffic congestion), it's a wonderful place to live if you enjoy the outdoors. Tampa ranked #5 in "The best cities for the outdoors" Best Cities For The Outdoors - Forbes.com. If you enjoy boating, fishing, beautiful beaches, and golf there aren't many better places in the country. This is what has essentially changed me from a proud Texas to a happy Floridian. I love the fact that we're an easy 45 minute drive to 3 of the Top 10 beaches in North America - Caladesi Island, Fort Desoto, and Honeymoon Island. Everywhere you look, water!!!

I realize people have to sometimes go where school, a spouse, or a job takes them. You can make the most out of any place. For me personally though, living in the Houston Area again would be sad.
i dont see where your going with this...

Old 06-14-2010, 02:18 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,895,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1982 View Post
They are both hick towns. WHO CARES?
Here is someone who knows nothing about either city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33nthe813 View Post
It may get annihilated, but it definitely shouldn't. Since when did size make one city better than another? In that case, the best cities in the U.S. would automatically be New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago. Also, you say that Houston has much more going on, but what exactly do they have going on? For example, Tampa has hosted way more big events (such as the Super Bowl) than Houston has. It was also just recently picked to host the 2012 Republican National Convention. Sadly, Tampa continues to be extremely underrated as a major city, and mostly because people look down on the city limits population.
Tampa doesn't host more big events than Houston. It has hosted more Super Bowls, but what about Final Fours or NBA All-Star games (no NBA team makes that hard). The Final Four will be in Houston in 2011 and 2016, with two or three regionals between that. And Houston is a finalist for the US World Cup bid. Was Tampa on the list? The Latin Grammy Awards were hosted in Houston a month after Hurricane Ike, etc. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is a big annual event (two million visitors this year) and draws HUGE music acts to Houston. I'd say overall, Houston hosts more big events, and partly because of it's size.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:24 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,895,905 times
You'll be banned or suspended soon for your trolling/flooding the forum with bs. No more time needs to be wasted responding to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City