Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa or Houston?
Houston 95 54.29%
Tampa 80 45.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:56 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,731,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Here is someone who knows nothing about either city.

Tampa doesn't host more big events than Houston. It has hosted more Super Bowls, but what about Final Fours or NBA All-Star games (no NBA team makes that hard). The Final Four will be in Houston in 2011 and 2016, with two or three regionals between that. And Houston is a finalist for the US World Cup bid. Was Tampa on the list? The Latin Grammy Awards were hosted in Houston a month after Hurricane Ike, etc. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is a big annual event (two million visitors this year) and draws HUGE music acts to Houston. I'd say overall, Houston hosts more big events, and partly because of it's size.
Yes.

US World Cup List Trimmed | Major League Soccer Talk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 09:20 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,895,905 times
It is, and it has a good about of signatures, but it has dropped a few notches on that list.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:31 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,801,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTX97 View Post
The city itself is quite dirty. It's been voted the "Dirtiest City in America" multiple times by various enviornmental reviews, including the EPA - Houston among most polluted cities, lung association says - Houston Business Journal. The smog is horrible on some days, as brown clouds of haze from petro chemicals drowned out the skyline.
Please don't rehash this stuff from a decade ago.
Smog and Mirrors - Gore’s dishonest campaign against Texas

Several cities in California still rank higher than Houston on ozone, and even more cities there and elsewhere rank higher than Houston on particle air pollution (which some scientists believe to be even more dangerous.)

I have lived in Houston for many years, and have never seen the skyline drowned out. That sounds like a ridiculous exaggeration on your part. It is nothing like L.A.

Houston's Port ranks 1st in foreign tonnage. If we could ever get these foreign barges to use cleaner fuel, it would help a lot.

Quote:
I've also never heard of Galveston being used as a selling point for Houston. It's over an hour drive for anyone living north or west of the 610 loop. It was disgusting BEFORE Hurricane Ike, and I was visiting friends just last year and a majority of the restaurants were still boarded up. What little beachfront there was is now further eroded. The dark imported sand was littered with seaweed and public trash and the water is still brown (was always referred to as the "G-town Brown").
You are ill-informed. That does not describe the Galveston I see, and we go several times a year.

If Galveston was so disgusting, I doubt Coastal Living Magazine would have chosen it for their 2008 Idea House location. 2008 Idea House - CoastalLiving.com

I also doubt there would be so much new development going on somewhere so undesirable.
Pointe West
Beachtown Galveston (http://beachtowngalveston.com/beachtown.htm - broken link)
Palisade Palms

Quote:
There are some fantastic restaurants, but it's also been labeled the "Fattest City in America" multiple times.
Really? Oh, you mean the Men's Fitness (Men's Cosmo) list from years back. The one where they didn't even measure what they claim to - people. Instead, they count the number of restaurants and sporting goods stores, and then take a guess.

These lists show differently, so obviously there's not a consensus on that.
Top 25 Skinniest Cities
In Pictures: America's Most Obese Cities

Old 06-14-2010, 09:41 AM

965 posts, read 1,877,642 times
Someone from Tampa trying to call Houston out on being dirty is like someone having $19 in their bank account and staring at their ATM Card.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:10 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,200,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Someone from Tampa trying to call Houston out on being dirty is like someone having $19 in their bank account and staring at their ATM Card.
Ha ha Tampa is dirty too.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:55 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,579,095 times
Quote:
It is, and it has a good about of signatures, but it has dropped a few notches on that list.
On what list has it dropped a few notches?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
On what list has it dropped a few notches?
The amount of supporters list. Houston is at the very top with over 32000. It's on the US Bid website.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:32 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,936,451 times
Quote:
The amount of supporters list. Houston is at the very top with over 32000. It's on the US Bid website.

I seriously doubt that the number of supporters is the key to determining the winner. They'll look at a whole range of things before they decide. And who are these "supporters" anyway?

Old 06-14-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
I seriously doubt that the number of supporters is the key to determining the winner. They'll look at a whole range of things before they decide. And who are these "supporters" anyway?
The amount of supporters definitely helps. If it didn't, then they wouldn't be putting out these rankings things. It isn't everything, but is apart of the decision process.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:54 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,579,095 times
Quote:
Tampa is 5th out of the 16 with about 22,400 but I didn't think it was higher than 5th before.
With less than half the population in the metro compared to Houston I think they are looking pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City