Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa or Houston?
Houston 95 54.29%
Tampa 80 45.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:52 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,094,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
1. Exactly. If you're going to bash a city, at least do it right. Like me.

2. If you don't think that looks bad, I guess you've never been to a nice beach. It goes to show the low expectations and low standards one must have when it comes to Texan Beaches. Galveston itself is a lovely, historic town, but the beach is ick nast. But it's not as bad as some of the beaches around Los Angeles or Northern New Jersey where medical waste or sewage routinely wash up on their shores. Tarballs aren't washing up on the shores of Galveston anymore, are they?
Trust me; I've been to plenty of nice beaches and I never said Galveston was nice. I was just expecting something more disgusting than what he showed. I don't know about the tarballs because I don't go to Galveston much, but last time I went which was about 3 months ago. I didn't notice any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 09:08 AM

965 posts, read 1,877,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Trust me; I've been to plenty of nice beaches and I never said Galveston was nice. I was just expecting something more disgusting than what he showed. I don't know about the tarballs because I don't go to Galveston much, but last time I went which was about 3 months ago. I didn't notice any.
Well, that's good. I was just effin with you

I've heard Galveston's beaches are cleaner than they used to be. The further west you go, the nicer they are, right?

Old 07-02-2010, 09:15 AM

12 posts, read 54,624 times
I just realized how much it appears I am bashing Houston. I love Texas in general, so that certainly wasn't my intentions. I love the Tampa Bay Area, but also appreciate many good qualities in Houston.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:45 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,895,905 times
Quote:

I've heard Galveston's beaches are cleaner than they used to be. The further west you go, the nicer they are, right?
Yep. The seaweed you see in the pictures posted disappear.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:58 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,094,083 times
Quote:

Nah, you good lol.

Yeah; the beaches do get better the farther west you go, but still they don't compare to the beaches of Florida. South Padre has potential.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:08 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,741,122 times
Houston

Old 07-22-2010, 04:25 PM

437 posts, read 1,296,685 times
Climate-wise: Houston=Jacksonville, Houston is about 5F colder then Tampa during winter, and gets a very light dusting of snow every four years or so. Galveston is very different fro Houston with the same average January low of 50F as Tampa. Still, Galveston winters won't feel "hot", but rather more like Southern California, and it rarely snows there. Galveston is a very palmy city, no coconuts though.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:29 PM

437 posts, read 1,296,685 times

Old 06-21-2011, 01:22 AM

22 posts, read 27,983 times
Default Tampa vs Houston

I am also thinking of relocating however from Houston to Tampa. I am not convinced of moving yet . There are strengths and weaknesses for both cities... Houston has a more cohesive dynamic core with 3 visually eyepopping downtown areas however no downtown area is truly integrated into a real city. Tampa's downtown may possibly one day have potential if it can integrate its harbor/cruise terminal area with Ybor City and its Harborside area but to date , this area in Tampa is a chaotic jigsaw puzzle connected by a small light rail line. Both cities have extensive tree canopies with both cities having live oaks and palms however Tampa has both more oaks and there's no comparing the difference in palm trees....Tampa/St. Pete is a veritable botanical garden and is intrinsically pretty and clean with views of the bay ...but not of the ocean. Houston has a lot of trees and there are some palm trees but it cannot compare to Tampa and it is not intrinsically pretty but where it has been tweaked with landscaping, it is prettier than anything Tampa has. Houston does not have water views, or any views for that matter but if you are in Galveston, you will have a beautiful sweeping view of the ocean/Gulf of Mexico. And yes, the water in Galveston is usually a nice brackish greenish close to shore and sometimes dull aqua further out. The beach is usually clean except when waves of seaweed wash in. When the water is coffee color, it is after a rain where soil runoff overruns the metro rivers and , the Mississippi also contributes to the soil washing into the sand or if it is extremely windy-coffee. Tampa's beaches are nice with aqua green to green water...with the most beautiful beaches at the extreme ends of Pinellas County and those beaches are beautiful. Urbanity: Houston has feeder roads next to its congested highways which urban the crap out of the city with strip mall after strip mall...whereas Tampa barely has a highway system which causes its surface street grid system to be crapped out with traffic congestion and urban strip malls. Houston is a sanctuary city for illegal Mexican / latins or was for the past 30 years and white people are and have been leaving in droves for the past 30 years because of this increase in lower income people. Whereas White people , or at least some whites scream diversity as they cannot stand being with their own race, the latin/Mexican populations do not have this problem being with their own people and are content to have their own exclusive neighborhoods/stores/businesses that cater to their latin clientele. Tampa does not have this problem. Both cities have high crime but Houston has more crime due to its extremely high populaton of lower income/poverty related gang infested and sophisticated drug taking population. With an illegal Mexican population of over 400,000 , Houston is well on its way to destroying itself. And they say that Houston is the future of the United States..... Weather- Houston , like any other southern city is hot for 4 months of the year..however..temperatures are in the upper 90's this year with a severe draught...over 145 days of no significant rainfall.... It has been miserable in Houston this year. Tampa has been holding onto its regular weather pattern with temps a little higher than normal but with significant rainfall...Tampa's winters are the best.....Houston's winters are generally good but they're not like Tpa. Which to choose?

Old 06-21-2011, 01:01 PM

996 posts, read 1,890,761 times
Houston. But Tampa is cool too, for hosting the GOP Convention next year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City