Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city has the worst unjustified reputation?
New York City 11 11.22%
Chicago 6 6.12%
Philadelphia 15 15.31%
Los Angeles 7 7.14%
Atlanta 9 9.18%
Miami 3 3.06%
Houston 6 6.12%
Memphis 3 3.06%
New Orleans 9 9.18%
Charlotte 1 1.02%
Las Vegas 2 2.04%
San Francisco 1 1.02%
Washington DC 6 6.12%
Baltimore 16 16.33%
Seattle 3 3.06%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,239,585 times

Advertisements

I said Miami, because of the word "unjustified." It was recently rated very high on some homepage "miserable city" scale, citing several ranking criteria.

I think that, with its beautiful oceanside location and diverse culture, Miami is unnecessarily dissed on. Plus, if you didn't love it, you could always live in adjacent Broward County and commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 06:28 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,642,597 times
New Orleans is one of the nicest and most interesting cities in the USA. I don't get the reputation.

NYC/Chicago/Miami/DC/Philly/Atlanta/LA no longer have bad reputations.

I heard people rag on Houston quite a bit but it just looks like some big Texas city to me. Can anyone explain that

And LOL when did Seattle, Charlotte, SanFran, Vegas ever have bad reps?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:28 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,574,016 times
I think Philadelphia has the most undeservedly bad reputation. It's been one of the five largest cities in the United States since it came into existence. It has a nice concentration of top-tier colleges and universities. It has world-class cultural institutions. It's a model of urban planning and design. It has a tremendous park system. It's arguably the most historically significant city in the United States. It has a versatile economy, and more money than meets the eye. It's the headquarters city of Comcast NBC Universal, the second-largest media conglomerate in the world. Its central business district is one of the best and most populous of all U.S. cities, and its skyline is expanding nicely. It has a comprehensive regional rail system. It has racial and ethnic diversity, and a rapidly-growing number of businesses to cater to them. So exactly what is Philadelphia lacking compared to the other top U.S. cities, aside from a contemporary dynasty in professional sports, and a faction of narcissistic douchebags who think that living where they do makes them matter more than everybody else?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:39 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,922,245 times
I voted Vegas before I read the full question, just based on the reputation it has as a one-industry town that has been hit especially hard by the recession.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,381,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
New Orleans is one of the nicest and most interesting cities in the USA. I don't get the reputation.

NYC/Chicago/Miami/DC/Philly/Atlanta/LA no longer have bad reputations.

I heard people rag on Houston quite a bit but it just looks like some big Texas city to me. Can anyone explain that

And LOL when did Seattle, Charlotte, SanFran, Vegas ever have bad reps?
Baltimore is also improving and hopefully within 5 years or less they will be free from the many decades of having a bad reputation........

Old 03-06-2012, 10:44 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,699,066 times
Whichever city, I happened to be in.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 PM

422 posts, read 811,315 times
I like your response. Very valid. Very accurate. I've said before, Philly is a natural brunette. Nobody likes them anymore. It's all about bleaching your hair these days. Philly gave birth at an early age but she's still in the gym. Nothing wrong with a little meat. Everyone is focusing on looks when we should remember how they made us feel (e.g. Philadelphia and Boston). Looks are eventually fleeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I think Philadelphia has the most undeservedly bad reputation. It's been one of the five largest cities in the United States since it came into existence. It has a nice concentration of top-tier colleges and universities. It has world-class cultural institutions. It's a model of urban planning and design. It has a tremendous park system. It's arguably the most historically significant city in the United States. It has a versatile economy, and more money than meets the eye. It's the headquarters city of Comcast NBC Universal, the second-largest media conglomerate in the world. Its central business district is one of the best and most populous of all U.S. cities, and its skyline is expanding nicely. It has a comprehensive regional rail system. It has racial and ethnic diversity, and a rapidly-growing number of businesses to cater to them. So exactly what is Philadelphia lacking compared to the other top U.S. cities, aside from a contemporary dynasty in professional sports, and a faction of narcissistic douchebags who think that living where they do makes them matter more than everybody else?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:29 AM

66 posts, read 126,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinblue View Post
No Cleveland option? : (

Seconded. Especially here on City-Data but also with people in general. People really don't understand what Cleveland is all about and what an impactful place it has been through history. I would have voted for it for sure.

After that, then, I think I will go with Baltimore though I really don't see it get bad press very often.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:46 PM

24 posts, read 45,697 times
i voted Seattle...heard horror stories before visiting and had one of the best trips to date...not a soul stared at me the way i was warned of...did the whole coffee shop crawl...plus it is a beautiful city but for the constant rain/mist/greygrayness...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City