Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
I like living in a city that has an international feel 44 61.11%
I like living in a city that can retain it's states cultural appeal 28 38.89%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:23 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to stay more on the innovative side when it comes to newer topics to discuss other than the typical "crime, violence, and city comparison" type of threads. So I decided to give this one a try.

Part I:
Cities that reflect the culture from your state better than any other city. To make it interesting, you can list large cities/metro area. If you live in New England, instead of state, you can refer to the region of New England as a whole, because many of the states there don't have large cities.

Part II:
Is there a city that overshadows the culture of your state because of it's size and such. New York City is a very international city, I can see it overshadowing New York's culture (the state of New York overall- Up state is very different from New York City).

Give a reason why you picked what you did.

Correct me if I'm wrong about New York City, in the Part II area, but Buffalo did not feel anything at all like New York City, more so, New York City has a lot of other cultural influences to for it to reflect it's state's culture entirely.

I'll go first:

Part I- Fort Worth, Texas: It's the real Texas city, it represent's the culture of Texas the best.

Part II- Houston, Texas: It's got so many cultures and such, it's got more of an international feel compared to many of it's Texas peers.

Your turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 01:50 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,434,345 times
I like both.
I want to apply this to my city, but I don't know if I can.
I guess I'll do Miami and say Jacksonville. Jacksonville stays true to the original culture of most of FL (I think) while South Florida heavily influenced from the outside.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:09 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,888,830 times
Part 1- Boston
Part 2- Boston

Definitely the quintisential Mass/New England city and also, by far the most international city in the region.

...am I misunderstanding something?

Old 06-10-2010, 03:16 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,195,846 times
Nice thread.

International but Both

example

Orlando and Jacksonville

Orlando may be a bit smaller but I with the tourist, and diversity it gives you somewhat of a international feel IN CERTAIN PARTS OF TOWN as opposed to other parts where you can go and it is real Floridian like, so you get both in the metro.

Jacksonville stays true to the Florida culture

I did not use Miami because I feel like Miami does not demonstrate what true Florida culture is.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:20 PM

492 posts, read 1,021,103 times
I - I would say Richmond VA is a good representation of Virginia and its old southern values/traditions/culture while yet still being progressive and city-ish

II- NOVA (Northern VA) .... This area is very popular given its proximity to DC and a lot of the time it is used as an example of how Virginia isnt as southern anymore

edit:
Oh, and I would choose both in the poll if you had it. I like cities that can retain its culture, while still being international. Ex. - New Orleans

Old 06-10-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post

No you're not misunderstanding anything. For some states, it gets pretty tricky. I had to think multiple times for Illinois. I finally got it.

Boston is a international city, yet at the same time, it holds it's roots as a New England city and it's got culture for that. As evident with the style of your architecture and restaurants, and things like that.

Part I: Springfield & Rockford, they have the Midwestern culture running through their streets. Springfield and Rockford are the only two major cities/metro areas that are not associated with Chicago/Chicago suburbs/Chicagoland in Illinois.

Part II: Chicago, the size of this city has exceeded the typical "Midwestern town" feel. It can feel like India (Devon Avenue), China, Poland, Germany, Vietnam, anything because of the cultures that exist in this city. It's classification for this thread is "International". The city doesn't cling to it's Midwestern roots, somewhere along the line, the city probably saw a path to either pick one or the other, instead of trying to hold on to both, I guess it went more with the international appeal.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:08 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,621,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Part 1- Boston
Part 2- Boston

Definitely the quintisential Mass/New England city and also, by far the most international city in the region.

Part 1A - Providence, RI: Yes Boston is of course very representative of New England, however the overwhelming college presence and transient employment makes it less along the lines of being wholly representative of the 6 state region in New Englnad

Providence, RI has retained more of the federalist, colonial, and industrial architecture than Boston. Providence is a true window into New England's past, albeit a smaller city. Federal Hill feels more locally authetic for a Little Italy and more like an Italian-American neighborhood that has been missing in in the North EndBoston for the past 15 years or so. Benefit St has a lot of stately colonial homes that are found in many other New England seaport towns. Brown University and it's surrounding neighborhood has all the trapping of an Ivy League New England college campus. Providence also has many leftover relics of the Industrial Revolution.

With that said to the OP, Northern New England (ME, NH, VT) have a much different dynamic than Southern New England (Mass, CT, & RI). Providence has a lot of what could be found in Boston, New Haven, or Worcester, but not in places like NH or VT.

Part 1B- Burlington, VT would epitomize a typical northern New England city. It is in a setting of Lakes and mountains, typical of the landscape in Northern New England. It is a small city, very pretty college town but full of arts and culture and many creative type people. Places like Burlington VT, Portland ME, and Concord NH are way more laid back than Boston or Providence.

Part 2 - Boston. This go's without saying, no need to elaborate.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-10-2010 at 04:24 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 04:23 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,621,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I'

Part I- Fort Worth, Texas: It's the real Texas city, it represent's the culture of Texas the best.

Part II- Houston, Texas: It's got so many cultures and such, it's got more of an international feel compared to many of it's Texas peers.
Is Fort Worth what tourists would probably think they would expect to see in the big D if they didn't know any better. Cowboy hats and longhorns? I'll probably be making my first trip to DFW over the next year. I'll be sure to make a stop in Fort Worth.

Houston being the port city would not surprise me as being the international city in Texas. Is Dallas far behind? How international is the Big D?

Old 06-10-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Is Fort Worth what tourists would probably think they would expect to see in the big D if they didn't know any better. Cowboy hats and longhorns? I'll probably be making my first trip to DFW over the next year. I'll be sure to make a stop in Fort Worth.

Houston being the port city would not surprise me as being the international city in Texas. Is Dallas far behind? How international is the Big D?
Dallas is picking up it's pace very fast. It's only a matter of time until it catches up to Houston on the international appeal. (Catches up as in gets to the same playing field) Actually when you talk about diversity in the Metroplex itself, the Dallas-Irving-Plano side is pretty diverse and can mirror Greater Houston. The reason it falls short in Metropolitan diversity would be the Fort Worth-Arlington side, which the suburbs of Fort Worth have started picking up the pace in diversity.

Well lol, I haven't ever seen anyone wear cowboys hats and stuff (unless it's rodeo time) in Fort Worth, but you get that true Texas feel there. The atmosphere is purely Texan. Sundance Square, you should check it out in downtown Fort Worth. You'll know what I mean when you see it. Fort Worth has either the 1st or 2nd most lively downtown in Texas, along with San Antonio, it certainly is something to take a stop and see. But yes, Fort Worth is more over what the stereotypical Texas is, and what tourists can expect from Texas.

List of Texas metropolitan areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^ The divisions to the Metroplex.

Greater Houston is ahead of DFW in diversity and international appeal. But DFW is picking up the pace very fast and getting there too. If it were about Greater Houston VS Dallas-Irving-Plano then Houston would be just an inch ahead of Dallas's Metro division.

Fort Worth is the real Texas city in the state. Austin is a bit peculiar for the state of Texas, and San Antonio is Spanish meet Tejano meet American.

El Paso, without a question, we all know the culture there!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:20 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,691,623 times
honestly, IMHO ppl from upstate and ppl from nyc are two different ppl. my coworker is completely different than the rest of us and was pretty much clueless about how nyc was before she got here. on that note, i'm pretty much clueless about upstate.

its like two different worlds. lol i don't know if thats good or bad. i don't think that nyc reflects ny state's culture at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City