Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 04:27 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes but Wilt is WAY WAY more associated with Philly than SF

Unlike Kobe from Philly who is more associated with LA now
Yeah true, his 100 point game was when he was in Philadelphia.

But Silicon Valley, the best player the Bay Area CSA has had in it's history probably has been Wilt Chamberlain. If they've had someone better, haha, my fault for not recognizing it because I don't keep up with Golden State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 04:29 PM

32 posts, read 75,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Just going off the criteria, Minneapolis definitely belongs with those cities. The Minneapolis area is home to more fortune 500 companies than the Philadelphia, Boston, Atlanta, Detroit, Pittsburgh and St. Louis areas and has several large, private companies including the country's largest. The Minneapolis Star Tribune also has a larger circulation than the Dallas Morning News, Detroit Free Press, San Francisco Chronicle, The Boston Globe, and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

It's very odd that they would rank St. Paul below cities like Des Moines, Orlando, Omaha, Knoxville, Little Rock etc..

Anyway, back to the jluke's post. If I were to rank the cities you mentioned into tiers, I would rank them as follows:

Tier 3
San Francisco
Boston
Houston
Philadelphia
Atlanta
Dallas

Tier 4
Minneapolis
Detroit
Pittsburgh

Tier 5
St. Louis
(Bolded statement above) Many people read the local papers on the internet now. Why pay for a newspaper when you can have it for free on the net?

Old 06-11-2010, 04:31 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,750,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
I think LA is AAAA worthy on the U.S. scale, it would be a little different if it was global scale.
Me too.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:34 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah true, his 100 point game was when he was in Philadelphia.

But Silicon Valley, the best player the Bay Area CSA has had in it's history probably has been Wilt Chamberlain. If they've had someone better, haha, my fault for not recognizing it because I don't keep up with Golden State.

Yes he did play there - just for reference here is an all-Philly NBA squad - not sure any city can match this

Philadelphia native basketball players

Old 06-11-2010, 04:43 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,040,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
Rand McNally has a staff of people, all kinds of information available, computers, calculators, pencils and whatever else is needed to rank these cities based on certain criteria. And here on CD some people will argue that Rand McNally is wrong. They base their opinion on...their opinion. Do I even assume that people have read the books put out by Rand McNally?
Best post so far.

+1 for you

Old 06-11-2010, 05:29 PM

362 posts, read 1,053,322 times
Good list. I would say Seattle, San Antonio would be 1aa by now, and surprised Oklahomo City is 1a, but it must be stronger than i precieved it to be.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:34 PM

30 posts, read 51,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
I think LA is AAAA worthy on the U.S. scale, it would be a little different if it was global scale.
Well its not.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:46 PM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Not a bad list at all. I think people also have to take into account the regional coverage of cities. For instance, Syracuse has the 39th biggest economic regional coverage area in the US and it doesn't include the parts of Canada close by, in which many come from to patronize businesses in Syracuse and the surrounding area.

Here's another interesting list: BEA : CA1-3 - Population*1/

Old 06-11-2010, 06:52 PM

528 posts, read 1,179,315 times
Thats a good point ckh. Just out of curiosity, where do the other upstate cities rank in comparison to SYR's #39?

Old 06-11-2010, 06:53 PM

528 posts, read 1,179,315 times
And I don't think LA is worthy of a AAAA ranking. In fact, I'd demote it to a AA ranking and let chicago enjoy AAA by itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City