Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 03:12 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,578,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Why do people equate trendiness with importance? Seattle isn't nearly as important as you probably think it is. The Seattle area is home to 7 Fortune 500 companies, meanwhile St. Louis is home to 9, Pittsburgh 8, and Cleveland 6. Throw in some top tier universities like Washington University, St. Louis University, Carnegie-Mellon University, University of Pittsburgh, and Case Western Reserve University as well as the Cleveland Clinic and I can easily see how they rank above Seattle.
Are you honestly going to say with a straight face that Cleveland/St. Louis/Pittsburgh are more economically, culturally, or institutionally more prestigious than Seattle...it has nothing to do with "trendiness".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 03:44 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,041,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Are you honestly going to say with a straight face that Cleveland/St. Louis/Pittsburgh are more economically, culturally, or institutionally more prestigious than Seattle...it has nothing to do with "trendiness".
Seattle has a larger GDP than the rest of those cities, but they also have more people too. I feel like I'm having the same argument in 2 different threads. Pitt, Carnegie-Mellon, and Washington U blow the crap out of UW in terms of academics. The Carnegie Institutes, University Circle, and Forest Park trump any cultural institutions in the PNW. There's no equivalent to the Cleveland Clinic anywhere in the PNW. Get over it, toughguy.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:18 PM

10,399 posts, read 15,483,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Detroit overall is not as bad as the media claims it to be. It has many F-500. It is losing population in the city proper though. Hopefully things will get better for Detroits core.
Detroit City is as bad as THEY MAKE IT OUT TO BE......what you
just read WAS ALL ABOUT METRO "Detroit" , and didn't have any-
thing to do with the City Of DETROIT......

Old 07-09-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I'd like to see thier justification for ranking Seattle below places like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis.
You will never see any....outside of having better UNIVERSITIES.....

Old 07-09-2010, 06:31 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,766,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Detroit City is as bad as THEY MAKE IT OUT TO BE......what you
just read WAS ALL ABOUT METRO "Detroit" , and didn't have any-
thing to do with the City Of DETROIT......
when she says detroit overall I thing she means detroit metro

Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,807,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Ranally city rating system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

city rating descriptionExamples (* indicates a complete listing)1-

*1 AAAAUnique rating for New York New York City

*1-AAAUnique rating for Chicago and Los AngelesChicago, Los Angeles

*1-AA Major national business centers Atlanta, Boston, Cleveland, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Miami, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C. (13 cities)

*1-A Other national business centersBaltimore, Cincinnati, Columbus, Denver, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Phoenix, Portland, San Antonio, San Diego, and Seattle (14 cities)

*2-AA Major regional business centersAlbany, Albuquerque, Allentown, Austin, Baton Rouge, Birmingham, Buffalo, Charlotte, Columbia, Dayton, Des Moines, El Paso, Grand Rapids, Harrisburg, Hartford, Honolulu, Jackson, Jacksonville, Knoxville, Las Vegas, Lexington, Little Rock, Louisville, Madison, Memphis, Nashville, New Haven, Norfolk, Omaha, Orlando, Peoria, Providence, Raleigh, Richmond, Rochester, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Shreveport, Spokane, Springfield, MA, Syracuse, Tampa, Toledo, Tucson, Tulsa, West Palm Beach, Wichita, and Youngstown (48 cities)

*2-BBSecondary major regional business centersAkron, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Worth, Oakland, St. Paul, St. Petersburg, San Jose, Wilmington
I agree with the ratings I like that Boston is in a high category

Old 07-13-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Why do people equate trendiness with importance? Seattle isn't nearly as important as you probably think it is. The Seattle area is home to 7 Fortune 500 companies, meanwhile St. Louis is home to 9, Pittsburgh 8, and Cleveland 6. Throw in some top tier universities like Washington University, St. Louis University, Carnegie-Mellon University, University of Pittsburgh, and Case Western Reserve University as well as the Cleveland Clinic and I can easily see how they rank above Seattle.
SEATTLE Fortune 500 companies are much more "powerfull and higher"
ranked than St. Louis , Pittsburgh and Cleveland Fortune 500 Co's , but
you are right on spot with the Universities comparison , however
Seattle has the "worlds richest man" and mountains and oceans to
boot.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:42 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,258,314 times
Generally I agree and think this system of rankings is quite comprehensive for determining which city holds great influence. However, I could think of several cities that deserve to be in the 1A spot moreso than OKC. No disrespect, but I don't get it.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 PM

2,739 posts, read 6,079,551 times
I thought I would revive this thread.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:04 PM

365 posts, read 496,014 times
How is OKC and Columbus 1-A?

And St Louis and Cleveland should be moved down 1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City