Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:30 PM

80 posts, read 197,874 times

Advertisements

In your oppinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 02:28 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,947,025 times
In no specific order:

Nashville, Portland, Denver, Madison, Pittsburgh, Seattle, San Diego, Atlanta, Austin, San Francisco

Old 06-11-2010, 04:19 AM

40 posts, read 112,667 times
Honolulu, Hawaii. I live here, and people would always say how friendly people here are.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:27 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,961 times
New York (!) named politest city - Life- msnbc.com

Old 06-11-2010, 10:02 AM

16 posts, read 68,851 times
Most cities in the south have the friendliest people. Not passive aggressive friendly like the midwest. Definately not as impatient as the east coast. Not as snobbish as the west coast. They are truly "down home"

They are not all hicks either. Some of our country's best sciences and technology was developed by southerners.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:04 AM

16 posts, read 68,851 times
Also forgot to mention that the Philly/New york area is far more friendly that given credit for...impatient yes. But those people will go out of their way to help you in Philly. New York also seems changed since the massive attacks of 9-11

Old 06-11-2010, 12:28 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,938,775 times
New York is probably the friendliest city in the country.

Pittsburgh, Charleston, WV, Baltimore

Old 06-11-2010, 12:35 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,073,076 times
I've always found New Yorkers to be extremely engaging.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 17,784 times
Pittsburgh? I've lived in Pittsburgh all my life and want out. According to my own experiences, Pittsburghers (and according to what I've read, the entire northeast) are very "closed off" with who they give their friendship to. On a broader note, everyone here is impatient and cares only about themselves. They think the world owes them. The general populace is extremely rude. I never once remember hearing a member of the general public say "please" and "thank you" to someone, say, working behind a deli counter. They say "give me half a pound of that," they get it, and then they walk away without saying another word. I'm glad I have an office job, because I wouldn't be able to tolerate that.

If your definition of friendly is helping someone with directions, I doubt you'll find a city in America where someone would refuse to help you. "Visiting" friendly and "living here" friendly are two very different things.

Unless there's an organized campaign by the cities of Denver, Nashville and Milwaukee to spam message boards to build up their image, it seems that those cities are genuinely friendly. I seem them mentioned quite consistently. This is the first time I've seen Pittsburgh mentioned. I saw Denver mentioned so much that I started researching it in greater depth, but have crossed it off my list of possible places to move to because its Wikipedia page says it has Mexican gangs basically running around all over the place.

Last edited by zibbr; 11-14-2010 at 09:10 AM..

Old 11-14-2010, 02:01 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,748,713 times
The only cities I've lived in are Louisville, KY and Cincinnati (at present). I don't find either city friendly. zibbr's description of Pittsburgh would be my description of Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky and at least the upper-end east end of Louisville.

So, I can only use places that I've visited. Surprisingly, I've found many L.A. and Orange Co. residents to be quite friendly, although I did NOT find West L.A. and Burbank, although different from one another, to be friendly AT ALL.

I've met friendly and rude, polite and impolite from every city I've been to. My list of ten, in no particular order, goes like this:

Birmingham, AL (although their 20-somethings and suburban soccer mom-types can be really snotty and unfriendly)
Nashville
Atlanta
Los Angeles
San Luis Obispo, CA
Houston
Galveston, TX
Fort Worth
Des Moines, IA (never been there but have interacted with a lot of its citizens working in customer service. Almost always left good impression.)
Seattle (same explanation as Des Moines)

Honorable mentions: Charleston (WV), Owensboro (KY), Minneapolis/St. Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City