U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-23-2010, 03:03 PM

8,965 posts, read 8,374,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
In others words Atlanta economy is more diverse than Boston. And LAMO while not ahead of boston in education, finance, and medical Atlanta is top 10 in all the these areas. On the flipside were is Boston in Logistics, Mass Media, Food industry, and etc? This is what he or she was saying. I would say Boston edge out Atlanta now but in 10 or 25 years I can't picture it.

And oh NY dominate finance.
Boston's economy is pretty diverse, and its industries have made its economy very stable during these economic times, unlike Atlanta.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 03:16 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,634,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Boston's economy is pretty diverse, and its industries have made its economy very stable during these economic times, unlike Atlanta.
How so?

Current Boston Unemployment rate: 9.2%
Mass. unemployment rate remains at 9.2 percent - Daily Business Update - The Boston Globe

Current Atlanta Unemployment rate: 9.8%
Atlanta unemployment tumbles to 9.8 percent | The Biz Beat

A difference of .6 percentage points is not exactly a big difference.

Both cities have incredibly diverse economies, and have weathered the recession quite well.

I haven't gotten the impression that either has done really better than the other in that regard.

When it comes to who is "more important", in most studies performed they usually rank right about the same with Boston getting the slight edge. Why? Because both cities play the same role in their respective regions, it's just that the region Atlanta is larger than the region than the one Boston is in thus giving a national. Both cities have a large amount of international business connectivity, but the corporations headquartered in Atlanta have a farther reach and are key players in shipping, food services, and media. Bostons influence is no slouch however, and being a major player for 400 years doesn't hurt either.

It seems to me though that people are confusing "what city I like best" with which one is more important to the global economy. Yet again. Both cities are pretty much equally important.

Last edited by waronxmas; 06-23-2010 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Edited for the right city comparison

Old 06-23-2010, 03:21 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,857,043 times
Quote:
Atlanta economy is more diverse then Boston. Boston economy is more stable because of the industries that are there weren't effect much by the recession. Unfortunately other industries that Atlanta is top 10 in, “only a minor presence in Boston” were hit hard, Real state, construction, Home Improvement and etc.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:24 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,750,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
How so?

Mass. unemployment rate remains at 9.2 percent - Daily Business Update - The Boston Globe

Both cities have incredibly diverse economies, and have weathered the recession quite well.

I haven't gotten the impression that either has done really better than the other in that regard.

When it comes to who is "more important", in most studies performed they usually rank right about the same with Atlanta getting the slight edge. Why? Because both cities play the same role in their respective regions, it's just that the region Atlanta is larger than the region than the one Boston is in. Both cities have a large amount of international business connectivity, but the corporations headquartered in Atlanta have a farther reach and are key players in shipping, food services, and media. Throw in the Airport and you have a knock out punch.

It seems to me though that people are confusing "what city I like best" with which one is more important to the global economy. Yet again.
Huh? That is obviously not the case per the first post of this thread.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Huh? That is obviously not the case per the first post of this thread.
Quite right, in my head I was thinking Miami. It's the other way around.

Retraction time...

Old 06-23-2010, 03:29 PM

8,965 posts, read 8,374,957 times
Quote:
How so?

When it comes to who is "more important", in most studies performed they usually rank right about the same with Atlanta getting the slight edge. Why? Because both cities play the same role in their respective regions, it's just that the region Atlanta is larger than the region than the one Boston is in. Both cities have a large amount of international business connectivity, but the corporations headquartered in Atlanta have a farther reach and are key players in shipping, food services, and media. Throw in the Airport and you have a knock out punch.

It seems to me though that people are confusing "what city I like best" with which one is more important to the global economy. Yet again.
You realize you posted Massachusetts' entire (state) unemployment rate versus just Atlanta's right? Boston has been listed on many lists with "best economies during the recession" (along with the usual Houston, DC, and Dallas). I believe Boston's unemployment is below 9%, though I'm not entirely sure on that one.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:39 PM

213 posts, read 248,192 times
SO basically Atlanta should have had fields that wouldnt be hurt by the economy...

Old 06-23-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
You realize you posted Massachusetts' entire (state) unemployment rate versus just Atlanta's right? Boston has been listed on many lists with "best economies during the recession" (along with the usual Houston, DC, and Dallas). I believe Boston's unemployment is below 9%, though I'm not entirely sure on that one.
You're right. The current available data from BLS shows Boston has a 8.6% unemployment rate for a difference of 1.2%. Still not much of a difference.

Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area

Old 06-23-2010, 03:41 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,857,043 times
Quote:
How so?

Quote:
You're right. The current available data from BLS shows Boston has a 8.6% unemployment rate for a difference of 1.2%. Still not much of a difference.

Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area
You know last night I was in a debate about the relevance of the unemployment rate with a posters. My point was the unemployment rate is abnormally high it’s not like we were talking about declining rustbelt cities. I was also in the impression that Atlanta's unemployment rate was way higher then Boston, Now not only do I still don’t see the relevance of bringing up the unemployment rate. But now bringing it up would be exaggerating.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulchild23 View Post
SO basically Atlanta should have had fields that wouldnt be hurt by the economy...
It's a kind of a weird situation Atlanta is in. The companies and industries that make Atlanta a national/global powerhouse are the exact type of industries that are more effected by a long drawn out recession. For instance, UPS takes a hit because people and businesses aren't shipping as much as they were, or Delta takes a hit because people don't fly as much. Despite that they still remain important world players in their respective industries. That's why a "higher" unemployment rate wouldn't directly translate into diminished "importance factor". One recession wouldn't do that a city. It's a decades long process such as what happened to Detroit and the rest of the Rust Belt cities who really did put all of their eggs in one basket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City