Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 03:51 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,899,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You're right. The current available data from BLS shows Boston has a 8.6% unemployment rate for a difference of 1.2%. Still not much of a difference.

Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area
Considering metro Atlanta is larger and, because of that, probably had more jobs, I'd say it's a big difference in the overall number of jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It's a kind of a weird situation Atlanta is in. The companies and industries that make Atlanta a national/global powerhouse are the exact type of industries that are more effected by a long drawn out recession. For instance, UPS takes a hit because people and businesses aren't shipping as much as they were, or Delta takes a hit because people don't fly as much. Despite that they still remain important world players in their respective industries. That's why a "higher" unemployment rate wouldn't directly translate into diminished "importance factor". One recession wouldn't do that a city. It's a decades long process such as what happened to Detroit and the rest of the Rust Belt cities who really did put all of their eggs in one basket.
See, cities like Boston have recession "proof" economies. Education only goes up during a recession. The medical industry is the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 03:57 PM

8,469 posts, read 14,933,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Considering metro Atlanta is larger and, because of that, probably had more jobs, I'd say it's a big difference in the overall number of jobs.
It's that and see this post All the "Most Important Cities" Rankings Combined

Overall though, pretty much every big city will go through an ebb and flow during a recession. If you look at that link I posted, in the previous available month the unemployment rate for Atlanta was 8.6% then jumped up again a percentage point. Same thing happened in Boston, just at a different.

The only cities that will truly do "better" during a recession in this century in regards to unemployment rate, will be your smaller cities without as much global connectivity and/or those smaller cities not reliant on service based and manufacturing industries.

For instance Fargo, ND has an unemployment rate of 3.9% and Omaha has one of 5.5%. It doesn't make their economies better or anything, it just means they are less effected.

Edit:

Quote:
See, cities like Boston have recession "proof" economies. Education only goes up during a recession. The medical industry is the same way.
Lol, they do not have a "recession proof" economy. Prior to the recession, Bostons unemployment rate in 2004 was 4.8% In 2000, it was 2%

http://www.tbf.org/indicators2004/ec...rs.asp?id=2386

Also, a large part of Atlanta's economy is medicine and education too.

Last edited by waronxmas; 06-23-2010 at 04:13 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 04:05 PM

4,827 posts, read 6,064,683 times
Quote:
wait wait wait

The percentage is the focus when you were taking about the growth rate in the Atlanta thread. Last year Atlanta grew the same rate as Columbus but the actual numbers Atlanta grew 3x more than columbus, Atl was the 6 largest gainer but that just doesn’t matter. Now all of the sudden the actual numbers of the unemployed is the focus, instead of the unemployment rate between Boston and Atlanta. I see

Quote:
See, cities like Boston have recession "proof" economies. Education only goes up during a recession. The medical industry is the same way
I think waronxmas point out how Boston isn't recession proof and Education and medical are major industries in Atlanta as well. Anyways like I said Atlanta economy is more diverse this also means Atlanta was involve in industries that bust, that have a lower presence in Boston.

Last edited by chiatldal; 06-23-2010 at 04:20 PM..

Old 06-24-2010, 10:06 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,412,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Boston is "niche-y"...

This is why Atlanta is ranked higher (as it should be).
How is Boston "niche-y"? It's a very diverse economy.

And Atlanta is not ranked higher than Boston...as it shouldn't be.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:32 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,899,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
wait wait wait

The percentage is the focus when you were taking about the growth rate in the Atlanta thread. Last year Atlanta grew the same rate as Columbus but the actual numbers Atlanta grew 3x more than columbus, Atl was the 6 largest gainer but that just doesn’t matter. Now all of the sudden the actual numbers of the unemployed is the focus, instead of the unemployment rate between Boston and Atlanta. I see

I think waronxmas point out how Boston isn't recession proof and Education and medical are major industries in Atlanta as well. Anyways like I said Atlanta economy is more diverse this also means Atlanta was involve in industries that bust, that have a lower presence in Boston.
Hopefully you an see the difference between unemployment numbers and growth rates. They aren't one in the same. A smal metro like Columbus growing by the same rate as Atlanta is not the same thing as Atlanta having an unemployment rate more than 1% higher than Boston. I miss that Atlanta thread by the way. It was fun. had to quit after all I was doing was correcting you. I mean, the last thing you responded to me in that thread was that Atlanta's freeway loop is larger. Took me about ten seconds to figure out it wasn't true.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:28 PM

213 posts, read 419,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
How is Boston "niche-y"? It's a very diverse economy.

And Atlanta is not ranked higher than Boston...as it shouldn't be.

In all the studies it has been ranked above Boston.. Its ok that you cant coime too grips with that. How Dare Atlanta be ahead of BOston, Something is flawed by the stats LOl

Old 06-24-2010, 01:30 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,755,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulchild23 View Post
In all the studies it has been ranked above Boston.. Its ok that you cant coime too grips with that. How Dare Atlanta be ahead of BOston, Something is flawed by the stats LOl

There must be

Old 06-24-2010, 02:15 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,423,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Atlanta economy is more diverse then Boston. Boston economy is more stable because of the industries that are there weren't effect much by the recession. Unfortunately other industries that Atlanta is top 10 in, “only a minor presence in Boston” were hit hard, Real state, construction, Home Improvement and etc.
if real estate is a minor presence, then where do the 7.6 Million in boston CSA live???

Old 06-24-2010, 02:58 PM

213 posts, read 419,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
if real estate is a minor presence, then where do the 7.6 Million in boston CSA live???
I dont think he ment it that way..

Old 06-24-2010, 03:31 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,776,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Boston is "niche-y"...

This is why Atlanta is ranked higher (as it should be).
Even in it's 'nichiness', it still overwhelmingly outranks Atlanta. We're not just talking by pennies, but by hundreds of billions of dollars.

And it's pretty trite to write off finance, research and education as niches. Seeing as how those three things indivudally and or combined drive the national economy and the world economy-especially in bed times.

Boston as faired pretty well in spite of the recession, due to its nichiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City