Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 12:46 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,313,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Really??? This is bad.
I know.

This will probably cause us the loss of the CDC, Coke AND the Flying Biscuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 12:52 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,420,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
My dude I dont think you really understood what Afonega1 was saying, more or less he was making a comparison to NYC's presence on the east coast to that of Atlanta in the south. Of course Atlanta doesn't compare to NYC, like what city does in the USA??

And lol @ you saying "you'll let the Dallas, Houston, and Miami posters deal with you"...Like what is this, the mean streets of C-D now??
You acting like we on the corner or the breezeway hustlin' and you trying to get dude jumped by them cats from the other side of the block who moving the same product..c'mon bruh, that was too corny....this the internet fammo. Check that keyboard gangsta persona at the door....
Yes this is the mean streets of c-d, internet is real world now! Hit me on twitter. I am posting on the Iphone down here in Richmond. I don't need a keyboard, I just brush my finger. I am just saying Dallas Houston and Miami all have good parity with Atlanta.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:07 PM

364 posts, read 715,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yes this is the mean streets of c-d, internet is real world now! Hit me on twitter. I am posting on the Iphone down here in Richmond. I don't need a keyboard, I just brush my finger. I am just saying Dallas Houston and Miami all have good parity with Atlanta.

Oh ok, so you ten toes down on the block posting on C-D from the iPhone, bomb in the bushes, AK with the 50 round drum sitting on the porch, ready for it to go down huh? lol...be careful though, if Richmond is anything like Atlanta, those cops who ride around in those tinted out Crown Vic's like to pull up on corners, jump out and see how fast they can run on Thursdays....lol

Old 07-01-2010, 02:52 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,741,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
PLEASE! I'll let the Dallas, Houston and Miami posters deal with you. Stop spewing that stuff, it just makes you look bad and I have to filter out actual Atlanta contributors who know what they are talking about. NY doesn't even have that influence, and Atlanta does not match up well with New York either.
Please read the context of my post before you single one out.I have already more than once stated why I said what I said.Go back and reread before you TRY and discredit me.Also YOU wish you could know more about this city than I do. So again you can disagree all you want,but if you do so back up what you are saying as I have to prove my points.Dont just be rude and TRY to call people out because you cannot stand differing opinions.

I invite any other posters from other cities to debate what I am saying,but know one has really done that other than trying to call me crazy.I can take it,but apparently some of you cannot.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:16 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,750,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Please read the context of my post before you single one out.I have already more than once stated why I said what I said.Go back and reread before you TRY and discredit me.Also YOU wish you could know more about this city than I do. So again you can disagree all you want,but if you do so back up what you are saying as I have to prove my points.Dont just be rude and TRY to call people out because you cannot stand differing opinions.

I invite any other posters from other cities to debate what I am saying,but know one has really done that other than trying to call me crazy.I can take it,but apparently some of you cannot.

The only people who are crazy are those that have not yet moved to Atlanta

And in saying you know more about the city, probably so but also probably you do not know more about cities and how to compare any more than most of us...

Personally I am tired of this anyway, really started out of pure boredom and there are many posters including myself that elaborate or justify a cities prominance; most is silly. Atlanta is a fine city with or without the airport or flying biscuits for that matter. Yes it is a beacon in an area that does not have much else to compete. That doesn't make it better or worse.

But honestly be Atlanta; it is just fine

Old 07-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Atlanta is tied with Boston in this regard according to this thread.

That's good for Atlanta, but how does that make it more important to the rest of the country?

Definitely a huge part of Atlanta's importance.

Really? I was totally unaware...

I think this falls into the same category as how much Atlanta is visited and it's growing quantity of millionaires. That's awesome you can get Wifi in Centennial Park...but I don't see how it adds to Atlanta's importance.

Atlanta's media presence is undeniable.

A good exchange, but I believe it's still pretty minor...at least compared to some of the more prominent exchanges.

Good stuff.

Absolutely.

Thanks for laying out some points. Why didn't you include the CDC in your post? I would say that's a huge contributor to Atlanta's importance & influence.

I would still personally consider Boston to be a bit in front of Atlanta in terms of importance, though they are close. I feel like many Atlanta posters on this thread (aside from you) have been suggesting that Atlanta is looking at Boston in the rear-view mirror, and I'm trying to figure out why because it simply isn't true.
1)my answer was in reference to the South in the previous questions.
2)When it became about Boston I gave my reason why Atlanta could be equal or MAYBE slightly ahead.Truth is I have never argued the reason anyone would pick Boston over Atlanta in this regard of the thread.I have maintained that its close enough that it is a matter of personal opinion,not written in stone.
3) Telecommunications: " Metro Atlanta ranks in the top five U.S. markets
for total bandwidth and fiber access. The metro
area is also a hub for the country’s two largest
fiber trunk lines that feed Europe, Asia and
South America."http://metroatlantachamber.com/files/file/about_atlanta/Atlanta%20Overview_2009.pdf (broken link)
4)I forggot to mention how Atlanta is the leader in information services;First Data,Equifax,Choicepoint are all homegrown Atlanta companies

5)I never said Atlanta was more important than all other cities.I said simply that Atlanta has things that makes it AS important.People seem to have a problem with that.

6)I thought about the CDC,but it seemed redundant.Also that it seems too many people have no idea of just how huge its scope is.So why bother?

Old 07-01-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
My dude I dont think you really understood what Afonega1 was saying, more or less he was making a comparison to NYC's presence on the east coast to that of Atlanta in the south. Of course Atlanta doesn't compare to NYC, like what city does in the USA??

And lol @ you saying "you'll let the Dallas, Houston, and Miami posters deal with you"...Like what is this, the mean streets of C-D now??
You acting like we on the corner or the breezeway hustlin' and you trying to get dude jumped by them cats from the other side of the block who moving the same product..c'mon bruh, that was too corny....this the internet fammo. Check that keyboard gangsta persona at the door....
LOL."The Miami,Houston,and Dallas people deal with me".Thanks.I found that particularly amusing as well.Watch out Taliban.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The only people who are crazy are those that have not yet moved to Atlanta

And in saying you know more about the city, probably so but also probably you do not know more about cities and how to compare any more than most of us...

Personally I am tired of this anyway, really started out of pure boredom and there are many posters including myself that elaborate or justify a cities prominance; most is silly. Atlanta is a fine city with or without the airport or flying biscuits for that matter. Yes it is a beacon in an area that does not have much else to compete. That doesn't make it better or worse.

But honestly be Atlanta; it is just fine
I never made any wild claims that were not back up with facts.Fact is I made have stated something as opinion and YOU or others may not like it but I could really care less.Fact is when you have nothing to disprove my points with nothing more than your own OPINIONS,you're really just powerless and some of you cannot stand that.

By the way I have lived in many cities for more than just a passing thru enough to know exactly what Im talking about so dont make assumptions that you cannot prove.I love to travel.Everywhere I go I try to make it my business to learn about whats going on.Im very open to learning about every place.

Well it may be a beacon in the area but does Philly compete with New York?Boston with Philly?Oh by the way if Atlanta were only competing within its region,then why have so many compines left cities like Philly,and other cities for Atlanta.Just like so much of its population.

So you can sneak your snide remarks in all you want.Its really not that serious.But lets be honest alot of people just really have a major dislike for Atlanta especially when it starts surpassing such stalwart cities such as Philly,Boston,D.C. etc,and that just get under the skin of some of you SO bad you cant see straight.Sorry,but it is what it is.A fine city indeed in which many cities would love to be in its position.

BTW should this remind you that I do have weight with my statements according to several publications worlwide:

Last edited by afonega1; 07-01-2010 at 04:05 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Atlanta has been called "the capital of the south" before, but I and a lot of other people on this site have all come to an agreement that no southern city really dominates the others.
The poll I created in response to this remark adds extreme credibility to what I new was right.Apparently you and the small few people (KidPhilly) are so busy trying to make others appear stupid but based on the latest results,Atlanta is very much on the radar by a LONG shot.
What do you guys have to show otherwise than your own "thoughts"?

Old 07-01-2010, 06:43 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,159,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Tier one cities: New York, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, Boston, Philly, Denver and San Jose Tier two cities: Baltimore, San Antonio, Portland and Cincinnati
Wtf kind've list is that? Denver and San Jose? But no Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, or Houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City