Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 12:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,622,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post

You have Wendy's, we have Friendly's...so? I like both, doesn't mean my economy is based on where I buy a hamburger. In N'Out burger is better-so kudos to San Fran, they win there.
If you think those are good, try Fatburger. Best hamburger out there. They are based in LA, so we win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 01:03 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,405,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Out of all those things you mentioned you could have easily added ATL.It has one of the highest educated populace,its economy is stable and diversified,it is also very strong in education ,research,and finance.Its only main week-ness is that its in the South as many (particular North-Easterners),have a disdain to see that "what was is not now what is".There is no way ATL,DAL,HOU,even Miami can be any less than Tier 2 cities like BOSTON,SAN FRAN,and D.C.
As far as I can tell, Atlanta has very little presence in the financial services field. It's not in the Top 75 in the world at least, according to Z/Yen.

Also, in terms of educational institutions Atlanta is very good but it's not as good as Washington DC and it's not in the same stratosphere of the Bay Area, let alone Boston.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:07 PM

16,643 posts, read 29,337,067 times
Quote:
So who is the capitiol of the West?

Dallas is the capital of Texas.

Los Angeles is the capital of the American West.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:08 PM

16,643 posts, read 29,337,067 times
Quote:
Yes but look at the 5 out of 7 rankings that all cities are rank as.If you take out the scores that do not rank them all,Atlanta still comes out ahead.Atlanta except one,comes out on top.Also all those studies put more emphasis on different things than each other.Its not all about just business.

Generally speaking the GaWc is the most commonly referred to.Its used in many publications world wide
Yep, yep.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:23 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,774,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
If you think those are good, try Fatburger. Best hamburger out there. They are based in LA, so we win.
haha!! Yes, LA also has In N'Out too. Actually, I was surprised at the number of burger joints.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:31 PM

20,502 posts, read 33,359,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Dallas is the capital of Texas.

Was Austin nuked or something? Did Houston sink into the bottom of the gulf?

Old 07-02-2010, 02:08 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,622,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Was Austin nuked or something? Did Houston sink into the bottom of the gulf?
I think he is talking about a hypothetical situation if the West or Texas was its own region.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:44 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,731,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Those are the companies you seriously choose to reference on Atlanta's supremacy? Really, Home Depot and Wendy's? The CDC? I'll counter that with Harvard and MIT and about 500 other medical research companies located within 25 miles of the state house.

You have Wendy's, we have Friendly's...so? I like both, doesn't mean my economy is based on where I buy a hamburger. In N'Out burger is better-so kudos to San Fran, they win there.

I mean those things aren't that important on a national level. They just aren't. There's no saying that goes, "As, goes CNN, so goes the nation."

Boston is a center of finance-in fact one of the largest in the nation and world. Fidelity Group, State Street, John Hancock Co, Lincoln Mutual, Bain Capital, Sovereign Bank, Liberty Mutual- are literally the largest financial groups in the nation, all headquarted in Boston. Responsible for trillions of dollars of market managed capital, and billions of transactions every year. Only NYC and London are larger using these terms.
No you brought up Coke,Delta,and the other stuff.I was just being cavalier .
Vienna is also a financial capital.But if it fell all the Earth it really would make less of a differenmce.
Being a financial capital gives great importance and certainly a good measure of economic viability but it does not make it the end of all things.Atlanta has a lot more corporate headquarters.Among those are large financial companies like Suntrust,Invesco,Intercontinental Exchange, and not to mention that many of the largest banks in America like Bank America and the former Wachovia have many of the major operations in Atlanta that are very significant.
.Atlanta is not Boston can be in the company of it which was my whole argument.Not that it was greater.
In High Tech Atlanta is definitely no slouch.Scientific Atlanta,Earthlink,Cbeyond.Not to mention Atlanta has become the major center for data aggregation .First Data,Choicepoint,Equifax.

My point is Boston might be a financial center but that does not make it the most important either.
And about whomever mention wealth>
Consider the following facts:
Atlanta:
According to Portfolio Atlanta ranks 76th in the U.S. as a center of wealth.Boston 70th OVERALL
But Per Capita incomes Atlanta is higher
8.7% population making over $200,000 a year is also higher in Atlanta

So the remarks about wealth being greater by the other poster is also no run away either.

Last edited by afonega1; 07-02-2010 at 03:08 PM..

Old 07-02-2010, 03:07 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,405,203 times
Quote:
Vienna is also a financial capital.But if it fell all the Earth it really would make less of a differenmce.
That may be a bit of a stretch.

Quote:
Atlanta has a lot more corporate headquarters.
Than who?

Quote:
Atlanta is not Boston in that regards but it can be in the company of it which was my whole argument.Not that it was greater.
But that's the thing: it's not in Boston's company when it comes to this. In fact it's not even remotely close.

Quote:
In High Tech Atlanta is definitely no slouch.Scientific Atlanta,Earthlink,Cbeyond.Not to mention Atlanta has become the major center for data aggregation .First Data,Choicepoint,Equifax,
Atlanta isn't a slouch in this regard, but it certainly isn't in the same category as Boston.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:14 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,731,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
That may be a bit of a stretch.

Than who?Than Boston,San Fran,and D.C.

But that's the thing: it's not in Boston's company when it comes to this. In fact it's not even remotely close. Im talking about overall.Not in ONE sector.

Atlanta isn't a slouch in this regard, but it certainly isn't in the same category as Boston.
Boston is no more important than say the people who insist Houston is more important.Its the same thing.Neither city has a monopoly on ANYTHING.
L.A.-media-music
NYC-so much to name
Las Vegas-gaming
Orlando-Entertainment(Family)
Detroit(yes)Automotive
Those cities have monopolies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City