Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2010, 02:27 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
How is Chicago the "epicenter of Transportation?Atlanta airport is the busiest in the world.Atlanta is also a major trucking and rail hub.So transportation would easily be Atlanta.
Also what importance is being an epic center if other cities or places have similar services even if they are a few notches below the top?Other than NYC.There really is no other city that any of those cities you mentioned could not continue to function elswhere?So importance is a combined effort which really makes it all relative once you get from the big 3 in(LA,Chicago,NYC.)
Atlanta is strong in several fields but it has been said the following are where
Telecommunications,wireless,fiber optic network largest in the world
Non -Profits
Public policy pertaining to all things medical (CDC)The impact surely is national and international
You failed to mention L.A.So is it less important than the others?What is its important epic center.
You misunderstand me Afonega, Chicago has always been known and will always be known as the transportation hub of America.
- Every railroad in the country goes through Chicago. Atlanta might have railroads too, but nothing like Chicago- which controls every railroad in America.
- It has a centralized location in which traveling from coast to coast is far more efficient and Canadian transfers. Plus you underestimate the 2nd busiest airport in the country and headquarters for Boeing & United Airlines. The Centralized location has benefited the city to a large trade and transport hub in the world, it's considered one of the most strategic bases for transportation in the world- airport traffic has nothing to do with that image. It has two important airport's that cut O'Hare's traffic down, and among many other regional airports. Remember a decade or so ago it was the busiest airport in America- and it doesn't trail Atlanta on traffic by THAT much. Just a couple of millions- maybe 10 million max.
- 3rd largest inland port in the world behind Singapore & Hong Kong, Atlanta doesn't have anything to compare to port levels. Chicago's ports is actually among one of the busiest in the country so to speak and is used for regulations trade with Canada and the rest of the country connected by rivers and Great Lakes quite often.
- Largest number of interstates pass through this one metropolitan area- no one else has as many interstates going through their metropolitan area like the way Chicago does. Only Indianapolis comes close. This is very crucial with the centralized location for transporting goods argument- trust me, plenty of truckers here to go around...

The city of Chicago controls land (railroad & Interstates), sea (inland port), & air (centralized location and one of the top 5 busiest airports in the world).
Plus United Airlines is now the largest airline company in the world, surpassing Delta right after merging with Continental a few months ago.

That is why Chicago is the epicentre of transportation.

So tell me Afonega,
What other metropolitan area in the world could match Boston's educational environment, especially with the level of NIH funding they receive, they are not to be reckoned with. Closest things are the Bay Area and Oxford/Cambridge.

What other city in the world can match Houston's energy industry? I'm thinking of only Dubai, Kuwait City, the country of Bahrain.

I actually forgot to mention Los Angeles, my brain has been fried from all the long posts and stats I've been out searching all day my bad!
Los Angeles and it's media appeal and film industry can only be closely trailed by New York City, Mumbai, & France (their sporadic film making studios all over).

I never said Atlanta wasn't important, I just don't know it well enough to make claim to any epicentre of control for them. Thus I asked you.
Airport is alone on transportation to be honest, railroad connectivity can be rivaled by Dallas & Tucson. (Just off the top of my head) But I think you make a good case with CDC- but would it be a driving force for Atlanta's economy?
Is there a industry that Atlanta has that the world will shiver when it comes to rivaling? That's all I'm asking. I'm not putting Atlanta down- it's a great city, but I'm just curious to know.

I don't want you or anyone else to think I'm hating on Atlanta- Atlanta is possibly the most diverse economy in the South and it takes advantage of government jobs due to it being a capital. Miami, Houston, & Dallas can't touch that.
I'll even go as far to say that it's the most established city in the South with the most diversified economy with the best infrastructure as well (MARTA = PWN all other Southern public transportation systems).

Last edited by DANNYY; 07-03-2010 at 02:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 03:47 AM

4,819 posts, read 6,043,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
You misunderstand me Afonega, Chicago has always been known and will always be known as the transportation hub of America.
- Every railroad in the country goes through Chicago. Atlanta might have railroads too, but nothing like Chicago- which controls every railroad in America.
- It has a centralized location in which traveling from coast to coast is far more efficient and Canadian transfers. Plus you underestimate the 2nd busiest airport in the country and headquarters for Boeing & United Airlines. The Centralized location has benefited the city to a large trade and transport hub in the world, it's considered one of the most strategic bases for transportation in the world- airport traffic has nothing to do with that image. It has two important airport's that cut O'Hare's traffic down, and among many other regional airports. Remember a decade or so ago it was the busiest airport in America- and it doesn't trail Atlanta on traffic by THAT much. Just a couple of millions- maybe 10 million max.
- 3rd largest inland port in the world behind Singapore & Hong Kong, Atlanta doesn't have anything to compare to port levels. Chicago's ports is actually among one of the busiest in the country so to speak and is used for regulations trade with Canada and the rest of the country connected by rivers and Great Lakes quite often.
- Largest number of interstates pass through this one metropolitan area- no one else has as many interstates going through their metropolitan area like the way Chicago does. Only Indianapolis comes close. This is very crucial with the centralized location for transporting goods argument- trust me, plenty of truckers here to go around...

The city of Chicago controls land (railroad & Interstates), sea (inland port), & air (centralized location and one of the top 5 busiest airports in the world).
Plus United Airlines is now the largest airline company in the world, surpassing Delta right after merging with Continental a few months ago.

I would call Chicago the Transportation hub for the MIDWEST, not broadly America. I wouldn’t also call Atlanta the Transportation hub for broadly America just the southeast. America is toooo big for that. You said ever rail road goes through Chicago? that not even possible. Also Atlanta has a importance and it’s location connection the south Atlantic to the rest of America and get things around the southern Appalachians. Chicago is NOT the only route east to west Dallas and Memphis have more of a centralized location than Chicago. Last Most of the interstates going throw Chicago are from the same directions. Chicago doesn’t has a compass rose of interstates, so this more to do with Chicago infrastructure, which isn't a bad thing.

I would like to point out Atlanta doesn’t have a sea port yes but the port of savannah is 4th busiest and as well as the fastest growing port in the US. Georgia is using Atlanta as it's distribute center, this mean Atlanta is pulling Savannah to have this growth at it's port.

And yeah
"and it doesn't trail Atlanta on traffic by THAT much. Just a couple of millions- maybe 10 million max."
Quote:
I never said Atlanta wasn't important, I just don't know it well enough to make claim to any epicentre of control for them. Thus I asked you.
Airport is alone on transportation to be honest, railroad connectivity can be rivaled by Dallas & Tucson. (Just off the top of my head) But I think you make a good case with CDC- but would it be a driving force for Atlanta's economy?
Is there a industry that Atlanta has that the world will shiver when it comes to rivaling? That's all I'm asking. I'm not putting Atlanta down- it's a great city, but I'm just curious to know.
Besides energy Atlanta is a top 10 city in all most any industry you can think of the US, very few cities in US you can say this about. Atlanta Economy is too diverse to having anything sticking out. This maybe side of the reason why Atlanta is brought up so much in threads. Even if Atlanta isn't number one in anything it's one of the few that a top in almost everything. Get it

Last edited by chiatldal; 07-03-2010 at 04:17 AM..

Old 07-03-2010, 05:07 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I would call Chicago the Transportation hub for the MIDWEST, not broadly America. I wouldn’t also call Atlanta the Transportation hub for broadly America just the southeast. America is toooo big for that. You said ever rail road goes through Chicago? that not even possible. Also Atlanta has a importance and it’s location connection the south Atlantic to the rest of America and get things around the southern Appalachians. Chicago is NOT the only route east to west Dallas and Memphis have more of a centralized location than Chicago. Last Most of the interstates going throw Chicago are from the same directions. Chicago doesn’t has a compass rose of interstates, so this more to do with Chicago infrastructure, which isn't a bad thing.

I would like to point out Atlanta doesn’t have a sea port yes but the port of savannah is 4th busiest and as well as the fastest growing port in the US. Georgia is using Atlanta as it's distribute center, this mean Atlanta is pulling Savannah to have this growth at it's port.

And yeah
"and it doesn't trail Atlanta on traffic by THAT much. Just a couple of millions- maybe 10 million max."
Whatever man, your putting words in my mouth now. I don't know the exact numbers of airport traffic, how often do you see people with the traffic numbers memorized?

Explain to me how any city in the country has more networks of interstates then this:

That's not enough for you, then try to imagine that it doesn't have to be a "compass system" for it to be the "crossroads of America". The interstates from Chicagoland goes to every corner of the country. What other city has that luxury? None. Because no one else can take advantage of the centralized location. Only other city coming close is Indianapolis.

What exactly do you mean? The transportation hub of only the Midwest, maybe I should have clarified that every major railroad in the country is linked to Chicago, not necessarily all being there. Please tell me how connected your city is compared to this- all 6 of the largest railroads in America- all go through Chicago.

Here you can see the advantage of being in the center of the country and having every major railroad linked to you by this one- there's a reason why goods are transported in Chicago between California and New York. It's more centralized than Dallas.

Okay so now tell me, how is it just a "Midwest transportation hub"?
Please do your research, I ask you, go online spend some time, FIND ANY ONE article that says there's another city in the country that has more major railroad connection in the country than Chicago. JUST ONE other city, do it, if you're so confident your right you'll have the answer before I wake up tomorrow.

Here is my source for the maps: http://www.marketmaker.net/cnw/maps/index.shtml
(EDIT: the maps got cut off in the post because they are large images, if you want a detailed map then go to that source ^ I posted and check them out)

Okay so that takes care of the land part- with the interstates and the railroads.

I ask you, find me ONE OTHER CITY that has more interstates and connections to other regions of the country as much as Chicago or more than Chicago. Just one, if you can find it- you win. But I already know you can't. They don't call this the North American Transportation Hub for fun...

Quote:
Chicago is a major transportation hub in the United States. It is an important component in global distribution, as it is the third largest inter-modal port in the world after Hong Kong and Singapore.Additionally, it is the only city in North America in which six Class I railroads meet.
About one-third of the country's freight trains pass through the city, making it a major national bottleneck.
This also takes care of railroads, I didn't put up all the maps we get the idea here, but just like I asked with the interstates, find me ONE OTHER CITY that has more major American railroad system than Chicago, and I'll give you the props that you were right.

Nice call on the rail thing though, I had it confused, every rail in America is linked to Chicago's network, which doesn't mean it has to go through it. It's the most linked city by that means there is in America. That's what I meant, I just worded it entirely wrong.

Now for the airport.
Quote:
O'Hare is the fourth busiest international gateway in the United States with only John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City, Los Angeles International Airport and Miami International Airport serving more international passengers.
Atlanta is not.

Centralized Location = this is the advantage see below:

(Look at the map ^^ Atlanta does NOT have a centralized location- and neither does Dallas- especially when considering North America overall US/Canada/Mexico- Chicago is in the dead center of North America, where the Great Lakes are- everyone who knows geography knows that)
Easy and basic fly times to nearly every region of the country.
LAX to JFK = 6.5 hours
O'Hare to JFK = 2.5 hours
O'Hare to LAX = 3.5 hours

Direct Flights to every inhabited Continent besides Africa, I believe?

Now for the port, it's a significant port for trade with US-Canada and shipment of Midwestern agricultural products as a US export through the navigational Great Lakes region and the St. Lawrence River. The 3rd largest inter-modal port in the world after Singapore & Hong Kong. One of the most active ports in USA and one of the busiest- and being the busiest for US region Midwest with nearly 66 million people of the region for reliance on port/trade network for imports/exports by sea.

Here is an image of the trade route for the port and how it gets through Lake Michigan and gets into the lake system/river way later on:
http://www.cycracetomackinac.com/images/cycmaccourse-lg.gif (broken link)

For Airport:

Traffic movements:
World's busiest airports by traffic movements - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Passenger movement:
World's busiest airports by passenger traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cargo traffic (looks like we beat you on this one):
World's busiest airports by cargo traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyways, I'm getting pretty tired otherwise I would have finished this post off. I guess I'll have to finish off part II of my airport posting tomorrow.

By the way, Savannah having a port has nothing to do with Atlanta being more of a trasnportation hub. Yeah you can trade and transfer goods from Atlanta through Savannah and export/import but it's not the same as Atlanta having a port.

Look it up, Chicago has been called the transportation hub of America. Don't believe me, then start refuting every single point I have up there, don't just refute one, if you want to disprove me, disprove all of it, and don't just go off speculation and start saying "well I think Dallas is better connected than Chicago because...." prove what you say. Get some sources get something here. Disprove my points as a whole, don't just take one sentence from my post and go off on it. I stayed up, I searched up, and I worked hard on my post- it would be insulting for someone to make some one sentence counter to one of my points.

Till now I haven't seen anyone disprove me how it is not a national transportation hub, and the leading transportation hub of America. Good luck especially with the railroad part. You can always say "Houston has a busier port...", Atlanta has a "busier airport", but what other American city has more Interstates connecting to other parts of the country? What other city has a better connection with railroads- connected to all railroads with America's main six? (read above in the post earlier for that) What other American city has all Land, Sea, & Air sectors of it's transportation system being a driving force for transporting goods?
It's not the best at everything but it is America's transportation hub.

Till you disprove me, with ACTUAL sources, links, etc... I'm sorry I can't really budge on that.

Please... this thread is not about Chicago... I'm so sick of everyone always sleeping on this city and pushing it around as if it just lost all it's significance when the recession started...

And this thread isn't even about Chicago- so let's get back on track here, I believe the last topic brought up was Atlanta's epicentre and what it could possibly be.

Here buy this guide/book (From Our Exhibitions - Chicago History Museum Store (http://www.chicagomuseumstore.org/from-our-exhibitions.html - broken link)) - it'll solve all your questions on why Chicago is America's transportation hub from historical periods to present day and why it's often even called "The Crossroads of America" even the famed route 66 was the starting point in Chicago. It's the most famous route known in American pop culture.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/13/Route_66_map.PNG/800px-Route_66_map.PNG (broken link)
Trust me I'm no idiot, I don't say things that I have little grasp of. I actually did read a similar guide/book and I actually know my cities history and current standing as "America's transportation hub" and "America's crossroads".

I can't believe it took me literally 1 hour 13 minutes to do this whole post...

By the way- I'm sorry if this post sounded harsh, I'm just so tired, and I was in debate mode! Good night all!!

EDIT: Read the edit earlier in the post the one in parenthesis.

Last edited by DANNYY; 07-03-2010 at 05:53 AM..

Old 07-03-2010, 07:43 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Just like clockwork........LOL

From the king of telling time...

Old 07-03-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:

And yeah
Besides energy Atlanta is a top 10 city in all most any industry you can think of the US, very few cities in US you can say this about. Atlanta Economy is too diverse to having anything sticking out. This maybe side of the reason why Atlanta is brought up so much in threads. Even if Atlanta isn't number one in anything it's one of the few that a top in almost everything. Get it

Chicago is a much more prominant transportantion hub than is big A

The one thing many people overlook here is the significance of the ATL. Its is very close to NYC if not more important. Plus a big airport and highly knowledgable boosters.

I hear you can't even get a direct flight to London or Paris from the ATL, even said it is still a really big airport and high starbucks densisty.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:47 AM

20,500 posts, read 33,299,328 times
it seems like people have a hard time giving credit where credit is due.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:50 AM

Atlanta

Old 07-03-2010, 08:26 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,711,473 times
Quote:

So tell me Afonega,
What other metropolitan area in the world could match Boston's educational environment, especially with the level of NIH funding they receive, they are not to be reckoned with. Closest things are the Bay Area and Oxford/Cambridge.

What other city in the world can match Houston's energy industry? I'm thinking of only Dubai, Kuwait City, the country of Bahrain.

I actually forgot to mention Los Angeles, my brain has been fried from all the long posts and stats I've been out searching all day my bad!
Los Angeles and it's media appeal and film industry can only be closely trailed by New York City, Mumbai, & France (their sporadic film making studios all over).

I don't want you or anyone else to think I'm hating on Atlanta- Atlanta is possibly the most diverse economy in the South and it takes advantage of government jobs due to it being a capital. Miami, Houston, & Dallas can't touch that.
I'll even go as far to say that it's the most established city in the South with the most diversified economy with the best infrastructure as well (MARTA = PWN all other Southern public transportation systems).
Ok.Let me reiterate.Just because a city is dominate in one field only means something if there are not other locales that provide the same service or field.

Those interstates are not travelled as much as I-75,I-85, and I-20.I will try to post the data to back up what im saying but I have to go.Not to mention that trucking is a major component in Atlanta.

I believe the largest inland containment yard in the world,is in Atlanta.

Going back to what I said before.It matters not that Atlanta has a dominance in an industry,but it does have many balls to juggle more so than a lot of other cities twice its size.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:38 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
I would call Chicago the Transportation hub for the MIDWEST, not broadly America. I wouldn’t also call Atlanta the Transportation hub for broadly America just the southeast.

And yeah
Actually, when you take into consideration Midway airport along with O'hare (which are both located in the city of Chicago), the gap isnt all that great:

Chicago O'Hare: 64,397,782
Chicago Midway: 17,089,365
Total: 81,487,147

Atlanta: 88,032,086

Either way, both are huge transit hubs. I dont think there is any denying that.

Quote:
You could say that about Dallas and Chicago.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:41 AM

4,819 posts, read 6,043,297 times
Quote:
Whatever man, your putting words in my mouth now. I don't know the exact numbers of airport traffic, how often do you see people with the traffic numbers memorized?

Explain to me how any city in the country has more networks of interstates then this:
That map actual proves my point

Chicago doesn’t have a compass rose of interstates

Quote:
That's not enough for you, then try to imagine that it doesn't have to be a "compass system" for it to be the "crossroads of America". The interstates from Chicagoland goes to every corner of the country. What other city has that luxury? None. Because no one else can take advantage of the centralized location. Only other city coming close is Indianapolis.
Not sure do I understand this. But well, every interstate is connected to another one so you can go anywhere. ) But if you mean Chicago has every insterstate no.

Quote:
What exactly do you mean? The transportation hub of only the Midwest, maybe I should have clarified that every major railroad in the country is linked to Chicago, not necessarily all being there. Please tell me how connected your city is compared to this- all 6 of the largest railroads in America- all go through Chicago.
Every rail road doesn't go through Chicago. Anything going throw memphis dosen't go through Chicago. If something treveling from Atlanta to LA, going to Chicago would be detour and far thought.

Quote:
Here you can see the advantage of being in the center of the country and having every major railroad linked to you by this one- there's a reason why goods are transported in Chicago between California and New York. It's more centralized than Dallas.
Ok New York to Cali what everything else? no it's detour.

Dalllas is overall in a more centralized area.

International Mid-Continent Trade Corridor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Okay so now tell me, how is it just a "Midwest transportation hub"?
Please do your research, I ask you, go online spend some time, FIND ANY ONE article that says there's another city in the country that has more major railroad connection in the country than Chicago. JUST ONE other city, do it, if you're so confident your right you'll have the answer before I wake up tomorrow.
Because in logistics Chicago is not important to the south, west, east coast and etc. Besides New York, Chicago is the only city that can say it's twice as large as any other city in it's region. And all you really are proving is how much Chicago dominates the Midwest.

Look at this map below
Port of South Louisiana
Port of Houston
Port of Savannah
Port of Miami
port of Virginia
to NY or LA no Chicago is need.

http://www.deskmap.com/images/rr_cont2007.gif

Quote:
Here is my source for the maps: Railroad System Maps
(EDIT: the maps got cut off in the post because they are large images, if you want a detailed map then go to that source ^ I posted and check them out)

Okay so that takes care of the land part- with the interstates and the railroads.

I ask you, find me ONE OTHER CITY that has more interstates and connections to other regions of the country as much as Chicago or more than Chicago. Just one, if you can find it- you win. But I already know you can't. They don't call this the North American Transportation Hub for fun...

This also takes care of railroads, I didn't put up all the maps we get the idea here, but just like I asked with the interstates, find me ONE OTHER CITY that has more major American railroad system than Chicago, and I'll give you the props that you were right.

Nice call on the rail thing though, I had it confused, every rail in America is linked to Chicago's network, which doesn't mean it has to go through it. It's the most linked city by that means there is in America. That's what I meant, I just worded it entirely wrong.
I never said Atlanta was a bigger travel than chicago, it dosen't matter they're not in the region anyways. But your just demonstrating how much Chicago is the TRAVEL HUB FOR THE MIDWEST. In the south the routes of rails that go though Chicago has no relevance unless something or someone was going to the Midwest, the south is more populated and parallel to Midwest by the way. But your post just means to what extent Chicago has control over the Midwest. The US isn’t a small country to have broadly "the" transplantation hub.

Quote:
Now for the airport.
Atlanta is not.

Centralized Location = this is the advantage see below:

(Look at the map ^^ Atlanta does NOT have a centralized location- and neither does Dallas- especially when considering North America overall US/Canada/Mexico- Chicago is in the dead center of North America, where the Great Lakes are- everyone who knows geography knows that)
Easy and basic fly times to nearly every region of the country.
LAX to JFK = 6.5 hours
O'Hare to JFK = 2.5 hours
O'Hare to LAX = 3.5 hours

Direct Flights to every inhabited Continent besides Africa, I believe?
If where taking about air and not rail or road location it doesen't even matter much. this is why Atlanta's airports is bussier than Chicago LMAO when Chicago has more "Centralized airport Location" it's air.

Quote:
Anyways, I'm getting pretty tired otherwise I would have finished this post off. I guess I'll have to finish off part II of my airport posting tomorrow.

By the way, Savannah having a port has nothing to do with Atlanta being more of a trasnportation hub. Yeah you can trade and transfer goods from Atlanta through Savannah and export/import but it's not the same as Atlanta having a port.
That true but Atlanta is why savannah is so bussy in the first place.

Atlanta Logistics Innovation Council

Quote:
I can't believe it took me literally 1 hour 13 minutes to do this whole post...

By the way- I'm sorry if this post sounded harsh, I'm just so tired, and I was in debate mode! Good night all!!

EDIT: Read the edit earlier in the post the one in parenthesis.
I bet it did, it took me a second to read it all too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City