Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 03:56 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,741,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
No, Atlanta has a good edge, it has a more diverse economy, it is a state capital, it's also got a large college presence.

Houston has universities too like Rice University and University of Houston, and overall Rice ranks higher than anything else in the South I believe being at 17th overall. But Emory (also a high ranker) and Georgia Tech are larger institutions by endowments and college population.

Atlanta is also a larger hub for rail transport and road cross overs and is generally more connected via it's interstate system than Houston.

Houston has strong sectors in it's economy outside of energy, medical, port/trade. Don't be fooled, those are just the ones that stand out, it has a strong IT market- of course it trails behind Bay Area, Boston, Seattle, Washington DC, New York City, & Chicago on that one, but it's still large. It has a good real estate stance. It's got a good amount of education employment, and a good amount of other sectors as well.
I think one point where Houston is kind of behind is finance, which is also where Atlanta outshines Houston, in that regard.

I never finished that post I was going to do- it's whatever though, I'll post it whenever I get time to finish it.

Yes Houston has more important industries than Atlanta but Atlanta is very much evenly distributed between it's sectors to the point where it's mesh and balanced. Houston you have three sectors that stand on top of the others, but that's not to say it doesn't have other factors into it's economy because it surely does and in large numbers. But the main three sectors are gargantuan in size comparison to Houston's other economic sectors.

Also in the complete study chart, Houston, Philadelphia, Dallas, & Seattle are left out of certain studies. But overall, yes Atlanta does score higher- but that necessarily doesn't depict it being more important though.
Actually Emory and Georgia Tech are usually ranked very high.Emory is often tied with Rice or above.Not to mention Vanderbilt in Nashville and for GOD SAKE,DUKE UNIVERSITY has the spot of top Southern University.Morehouse College and Spelman are are highly ranked institutions.Spelman has been ranked the number one womens college in America as well as with Agnes Scott College high up in liberal arts colleges.

Also Atlanta has a significant Telecommunications sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 03:57 PM

468 posts, read 787,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I never said my opinion will never change; nice way of twisting my words. When I feel Atlanta is as important as Houston; it'll change.
I didn't twist anything I asked a simple question.. When Houston is more important than Atlanta it will reflect in the studies...

Old 07-05-2010, 04:06 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,895,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
I didn't twist anything I asked a simple question.. When Houston is more important than Atlanta it will reflect in the studies...
So why does Homeland Security put more funding into the Houston area than Atlanta?

And like someone mentioned earlier, some of these studies didn't even include Houston, Dallas, Philly, or Seattle. The fact remains that Atlanta has a much smaller economy than Houston and DFW. And when a study tries to put Atlanta on the same scale as Los Angeles (that GAWC "study" comes to mind), then I have to question its credibility.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:18 PM

468 posts, read 787,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
So why does Homeland Security put more funding into the Houston area than Atlanta?

And like someone mentioned earlier, some of these studies didn't even include Houston, Dallas, Philly, or Seattle.
Like u said it's been asked answerd and debated already so I won't be answering your question... I'll stick with the study. And u stick with homeland security...

Old 07-05-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
Like u said it's been asked answerd and debated already so I won't be answering your question... I'll stick with the study. And u stick with homeland security...
Yes, stick with the study that believes Atlanta is on the same scale as Los Angeles. LOL!

Old 07-05-2010, 05:14 PM

4,827 posts, read 6,062,935 times
Quote:
Yes, stick with the study that believes Atlanta is on the same scale as Los Angeles. LOL!
If this is the GaWC study Los Angeles is Alpha now, Atlanta is beta+ LOL your wrong ) Also lets exlude all the studies Houston weren't in to be fair LOL. It was MOST OF STUDIES NOT just ONE STUDY that Atlanta was ahead of Houston. It doesn't even matter, saying Houston was missing in 2 of the studies is beating around the bush, from the pattern of where Houston was being rank when it was there LOL. I going to correct the last poster we keep are studie"s”

Old 07-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
If this is the GaWC study Los Angeles is Alpha now, Atlanta is beta+ LOL your wrong ) Also lets exlude all the studies Houston weren't in to be fair LOL. It was MOST OF STUDIES NOT just ONE STUDY that Atlanta was ahead of Houston. It doesn't even matter, saying Houston was missing in 2 of the studies is beating around the bush, from the pattern of where Houston was being rank when it was there LOL. I going to correct the last poster we keep are studie"s”
Ah, so they corrected it. Good.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:13 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,510,785 times
Quote:
Ah, so they corrected it. Good.
Here's the current GaWC listing of US cities.

Alpha ++: New York
Alpha: Chicago
Alpha -: Los Angeles
Beta +: Washington, Atlanta, San Francisco
Beta: Dallas, Boston
Beta -: Miami, Houston
Gamma +: Denver, Minneapolis, Seattle
Gamma: Philadelphia, Portland
Gamma -: Detroit, San Diego, Colombus

Old 07-05-2010, 06:15 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,968,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Here's the current GaWC listing of US cities.

Alpha ++: New York
Alpha: Chicago
Alpha -: Los Angeles
Beta +: Washington, Atlanta, San Francisco
Beta: Dallas, Boston
Beta -: Miami, Houston
Gamma +: Denver, Minneapolis, Seattle
Gamma: Philadelphia, Portland
Gamma -: Detroit, San Diego, Colombus
Whoaaa, when did Miami drop? I'm serious as of last week it was where Dallas is right now.

Oh and I also didn't see Hartford on there, hmm I guess they overlooked the entire state of Connecticut!

It's so sad, because we don't have any Alpha +'s in the USA....aghhhh

Old 07-05-2010, 06:16 PM

There really isn't much difference between the +'s and -'s in my opinion. And I disagree with Chicago being above LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City