Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 07:33 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,271,803 times

Advertisements

And while I'm at it, did anybody else notice that Columbus is a global city and Cleveland and Cincinnati are not? Is that Columbus, Ohio that is in that Gamma ranking? Wtfreak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 07:38 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,511,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
And while I'm at it, did anybody else notice that Columbus is a global city and Cleveland and Cincinnati are not? Is that Columbus, Ohio that is in that Gamma ranking? Wtfreak?
It sure is lol. I'm gonna try to have a look at what exactly GaWC is measuring.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:46 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,971,048 times
Quote:
I've looked up a lot of their criteria and supporting criteria before. Some of it is so dumb, like which cities have more billionaires and such...aghhh

I know Cincinnati has more F500 companies, and that Cleveland should have a more balanced economy.
I never saw Columbus coming on that list. And I still don't know how Boston is a tier below Atlanta here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I just had to look deeper into it lol, I had to know. It doesn't look so ridiculous now.

New Orleans city population is like three times the size of Hartford's, but Hartford is actually ahead in Metro, by one point lol.

New Orleans: 366,644/ Metro-1,167,294 46th in the US
Hartford: 124,512/ Metro-1,188,241 45th in the US

Other than that, Hartford has alotta economic power.
"In 2004, the Hartford metropolitan area ranked second nationally based on per capita economic activity, behind only San Francisco, California. Hartford is ranked 32nd of 318 metropolitan areas in total economic production and generates more economic activity than sixteen U.S. states." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford
Wow, so I totally didn't even know Hartford even had a large metropolitan population, or at least above a million.

I need to pay attention more to the smaller cities, seems like they're actually better off than most big cities.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:49 PM

I can't find an exact list of what they're measuring anywhere. The closest thing I could find is this, "The GaWC inventory identifies three levels of global cities and several sub-ranks. This roster generally denotes cities in which there are offices of certain multinational corporations providing financial and consulting services rather than denoting other cultural, political, and economic centres. The 2004 rankings acknowledged several new indicators while continuing to rank city economics more heavily than political or cultural factors." Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-05-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I've looked up a lot of their criteria and supporting criteria before. Some of it is so dumb, like which cities have more billionaires and such...aghhh

I know Cincinnati has more F500 companies, and that Cleveland should have a more balanced economy.
I never saw Columbus coming on that list. And I still don't know how Boston is a tier below Atlanta here...

Wow, so I totally didn't even know Hartford even had a large metropolitan population, or at least above a million.

I need to pay attention more to the smaller cities, seems like they're actually better off than most big cities.
We're not as pathetic as we look lol, mostly.
I do love learning new stuff on here.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:18 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,776,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I just had to look deeper into it lol, I had to know. It doesn't look so ridiculous now.

New Orleans city population is like three times the size of Hartford's, but Hartford is actually ahead in Metro, by one point lol.

New Orleans: 366,644/ Metro-1,167,294 46th in the US
Hartford: 124,512/ Metro-1,188,241 45th in the US

Other than that, Hartford has alotta economic power.
"In 2004, the Hartford metropolitan area ranked second nationally based on per capita economic activity, behind only San Francisco, California. Hartford is ranked 32nd of 318 metropolitan areas in total economic production and generates more economic activity than sixteen U.S. states." Hartford, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What if that inlcuded you neighbor to the north?

I know there is the Knowledge Corridor [which is a stupid name], but, it's not like we're totally separate economically or cultually. Combined, imagine the power we'd have. Economically, we'd me tied with Denver or Minneapolis or even Seattle.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:53 PM

468 posts, read 787,983 times
Quote:
I've recently been puzzled by Chicago ranking higher than LA in terms global cities rankings myself. I also find it odd that Phily is not a Beta city whereas Boston is. The only thing I can think of is influence on regions. If that is the case, then it makes sense why Atlanta, Boston, and Chicago, among others, get rated higher than some cities whose GDP/economy is larger and higher.
The list has nothing to do with GDP...

Old 07-05-2010, 10:31 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,412,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
There are also many things which don't necessarily show up in a city's GDP.

The value of derivative contracts being made on the CME don't show up in Chicago's GDP. The assets under management, medical research and human capital produced by Boston doesn't show up in the GDP of the city.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:05 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,271,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
I kind of figured that. That's why I said what I said. Those list obviously aren't based on GDP because if they were, some cities would be ranked higher than others. Ex. LA over Chicago, Houston over Atlanta.

But since it's not, I find it puzzling because I don't know how else to measure the economic impact of a city. Tmac helped point me in the right direction with the post preceeding the one I am making now.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:32 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,754,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post

I can clear that up for you...because Atlanta scored higher than Boston on the criteria used. That doesn't seem all that difficult to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City