Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,801,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
To be fair, the picture I posted is a closer representation of suburban areas of the cities of the east coast and south east for the most park. Big lots with big yards. Whereas out west and in Texas and South Florida, you'll find smaller lots with smaller yards. In reality though, I don't see much difference between a suburban area with windy streets and a "compact" suburban area.

I mean really, what is the difference between this (Suburban Philadelphia again):

And this (Suburban Houston):

Aside from looks?
The houses are a lot closer is the difference...I wouldn't call that apples and oranges...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 11:26 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,141,710 times
The single primary thing wrong with these types of lists is that they are compiled from US Bureay of Staistics and other data gathering sources. They do not take into consideration midsize cities that offer more than statistics suggest. Just for fun I am going to throw out one city with which I am familiar.

This city.is less than 150,000 population
1. Ranked globallyi with NYC and Chicago with $$B in exports to Europe
2- 2010 Gold Medal park distric fpr its green and open spces.
3. Medical shool, plus 3 top rated Unviersities, and three community colleges within 35 miles. This includes a 2010 US News and World top 25 universities.
4. Level I tertiery care children's hospital (4 hosptials in city)
5. Three times more physicians than the national average
6. Home to Shriners, Easter Seals and St Judes affiliage sites
7. Home to several intrernatioal corporations
8. Cultural and religious diversity
9. Performing arts community includes opera. ballet, theater and music. Also a large art community and the oldest juried arit fair in the state. , .
0. Legal, financial, technological and medical region
1. National and regional Entertainment all year
J. Social organizations from business and cultural to five country clubs - only one is public
4- Family Sports from Arena football to TT races and everything in between
5. National and regional transportation.
6. Upscale and downtown shopping and dining.
7. Reasonable COL
8. Primary schools include puboic, private, gifted, magnet and a school fo Autistic children.
9. Tradional and non-traditional health practicioners.
0. Natural foods, seasonal farmers market, wide selection of restaurants that incude Vegan.

I am qite sure there are other cities of less than 15o0,000 that offer similiar services and opportunites to residents. The problem all the midsize cities have is the same. Presenting the information. It makes no difference what your city excels at, or if it prints 400 international magazines every month if the bean counters don't know it. Most do not as they neither live in these cities nor do they visit. Thus while NYC is number one, cities lile Oceanside and Oak Park are never mentioned.

Last edited by linicx; 07-06-2010 at 11:36 PM..

Old 07-06-2010, 11:27 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,448,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Top 4 reason's I'd move into one of those houses yesterday.
1.) The less noisy more laid back lifestyle.
2.) The multiple car garages; that’s a must for me.
3.) The exclusivity (probably gated entry into the subdivision if it’s anything like Atlanta).
4.) The privacy. No worries about nosey neighbors keeping up with what I’ve got going on in the east wing-lol
Ummmm yeah, it's a societal thing because here nobody would care about half of that. Question though, why would the neighbors be all in your business?

Old 07-06-2010, 11:35 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,386,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Yeah, it's a societal thing. Question though, why would the neighbors be all in your business?
Good question. They aren't, but my co-worker (a Philadelphia native) always complained about that before he left Philly. The inner city houses were all joined together where he lived, and he hated the fact that whenever he would have company or family over, the whole street knew who stopped by (what they ate etc ). I'm used to privacy, and I don't intend to compromise it at this late in the game.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:39 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,448,212 times
Quote:
Great point. They aren't, but my co-worker (a Philadelphia native) always complained about that before he left Philly. The inner city houses were all joined together where he lived, and he hated the fact that whenever he would have company or family over, the whole street knew who stopped by (what they ate etc ). I'm used to privacy, and I don't intend to compromise it at this late in the game.
Houses here practically touch and the ones that don't are only arms distance apart, but usually people are too caught up in their on drama to worry about what's happening next door or they just don't care.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:41 PM

46 posts, read 59,091 times
Quote:
Good question. They aren't, but my co-worker (a Philadelphia native) always complained about that before he left Philly. The inner city houses were all joined together where he lived, and he hated the fact that whenever he would have company or family over, the whole street knew who stopped by (what they ate etc ). I'm used to privacy, and I don't intend to compromise it at this late in the game.
Midtown ATL is suppose to be pretty dense right?

Old 07-06-2010, 11:43 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,386,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Houses here practically touch and the ones that don't are only arms distance apart, but usually people are too caught up in their on drama to worry about what's happening next door or they just don't care.
That's because there's way more places for ones nose in New Orleans than many other places. lol There's always plenty going on down there.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:55 AM

20,502 posts, read 33,365,465 times
Quote:
Wow, people here prefer density over having your own space- and plenty of it?
Why yes.
Give me this:

Over this:

If I had one of those homes in that suburban neighborhood, I'm not:
cutting the grass myself
hiring anyone to cut my grass
would be miserable and bored to tears
not trimming one tree or bush
etc. etc.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:14 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,626,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Why yes.
Give me this:

Over this:
Not me, Id much rather live in a house than stacked on top of my neighbors. I need some space.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:09 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,736,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Why yes.
Give me this:

Over this:

If I had one of those homes in that suburban neighborhood, I'm not:
cutting the grass myself
hiring anyone to cut my grass
would be miserable and bored to tears
not trimming one tree or bush
etc. etc.

I agree, this is home to me and much prefer

because of access to this a few blocks away

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City