U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-07-2010, 02:53 PM

4,880 posts, read 5,248,792 times

Advertisements

Why is Detroit so high on the list? 16th most important city in the USA!? Gamma world city!?

Most of those cities do matter in America, but technically other places are "important" too such as places for agriculture where all the food is originally grown that people use to eat and places where nature and environment needs to be preserved for the health and survival of the planet and for so many reasons.

And also one great example that shows how every place is "important" even outside the big cities is seeing what happened to the Gulf of Mexico oil spill disaster in the past few months. It happened sort of middle of nowhere in the middle of an oceanic area and not in the "the most important cities" list and look HOW MUCH IT MATTERS.

So while someone can see how some of those cities are important with certain things, lets remember how technically every place matters.

There really is a way to appreciate cities with good economies but appreciating other places and not being one dimensional about it.

And also instead of bringing other places down to boast about a particular city or region, how about trying to encourage other cities and settlements to become more "important" in certain ways and share the influence and wealth.

I currently live on one of the cities on the list and might live in the 1st or 4th place on that list after college, but I still have this attitude which everyone should have to some degree.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 07-07-2010 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 03:10 PM

10,180 posts, read 5,187,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
Why is Detroit so high on the list? 16th most important city in the USA!? Gamma world city!?
They've been pretty important for the last 80 years or so. Their importance is diminishing though, it's the only city that's actually been falling down the list- it used to be on a much higher tier.

The city is on the border with Canada which is an essential entry region, and trade is significant, also the city brings in about $200-209 billion in GDP figures.
And is home to quite a few F500's. And the airport is pretty connected to the rest of the country and several regions of the world way above average for an airport in that regard.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:20 PM

4,880 posts, read 5,248,792 times
I didnt know Detriot had things like that economically other than the automobile industry. It seems like it will further fall down on that list.

I see you didnt respond to the other things I said in my post other than that related to how other places are technically important other the cities on the list.... I wonder why. You dont agree?

Old 07-07-2010, 03:29 PM

10,180 posts, read 5,187,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
I didnt know Detriot had things like that economically other than the automobile industry. It seems like it will further fall down on that list.

I see you didnt respond to the other things I said in my post other than that related to how other places are technically important other the cities on the list.... I wonder why. You dont agree?
No I agreed with everything else, thus I didn't respond to it at all to show I have no intention of disagreement.

Yeah I've always kind of overlooked the other aspects of Detroit's economy, but they've actually got more industries than just automobile. Given that Automobile is still their most dominant industry though..

Old 07-07-2010, 07:59 PM

8,160 posts, read 7,485,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHRESHTX View Post
Tony Braxton isnt from Atl...
Neither is Akon.But guess where he calls home?ATLANTA.Tony Braxton has been here since her career first took off.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:05 PM

13,476 posts, read 14,996,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Chicago was the same way. Philadelphia and Boston use to laugh at that thought. Then Chicago passed them. I always thought that, economically, Houston is a young version of Chicago and demographically, it's a young version of LA. Should be interesting to see where the city goes from 2010 on.
I actually think Houston is a younger version economically and demographically of Chicago. Look at the demographics of Chicago and Houston. Nearly identical.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 PM

8,160 posts, read 7,485,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHRESHTX View Post
I really do believe that Houston should be over Atl, but thats just my opinion so dont go getting pissed over something little.
And who ever was saying that houstonians are trying to compare our city to New York, L.A. and all that, no, we arent.
I know what level were on. And I know sooner on in life, Houston will get on New Yorks and L.A.s level.
And one more thing.
People say Atlanta is the ''Capital of the south", and I could see why because of the media, the airport, the blacks and all that kinda stuff.
But I believe it really isnt. And I aint Hatin!
Just because more people go to your airpot doesnt mean its the ''capital of the south"
Just because yall have more "celebrities", and "singers" and Tyler perry, doesnt mean yall the "CAPITAL OF THE SOUTH"
I believe there is no capital of the south, because all major cities in the south can get on ATL'S level, and some can get higher.
so thank you.
Have a nice day.
Let me make it simple for you:

I call this piece "Why You Don't Know What the H.... YOU are Talking about:

Atlanta has the prominence in popular culture and history that HOUSTON does not and cannot live up too.
Can Houston really compete for dominance over a region like Atlanta does over the SOUTH while ATLANTA can claim:
CoCa Cola-(The worlds most recognized product in the world)
Gone With Wind
Designing Women
Martin Luther King Jr/Civil Rights
Sherman's March to the Sea/Battle of Atlanta
The Birthplace of Gospel Music
CNN
The Music scene,Movie scene,etc.....

Not to mention Atlanta has more people that actually visit the city than any other major city in the South(minus Miami).Also more international visitors.

The Higher Education center of the South
More higher educated populace with BS degree or higher.
More Millionaires
Higher per capita incomes
Higher graduation rates
So NO,its not just and airport or Tyler Perry etc.....
So besides OIL and a higher GDP why does Houston stand out over Atlanta in the image and minds of Americans importance?Because thats the only thing that I keep hearing about Houstons so called most important ranking.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 PM

113 posts, read 151,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
Slow people right silly post....
slow people dont know how to spell.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Neither is Akon.But guess where he calls home?ATLANTA.Tony Braxton has been here since her career first took off.
All im saying is Shes not from Atl, end of story.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Let me make it simple for you:

I call this piece "Why You Don't Know What the H.... YOU are Talking about:

Atlanta has the prominence in popular culture and history that HOUSTON does not and cannot live up too.
Can Houston really compete for dominance over a region like Atlanta does over the SOUTH while ATLANTA can claim:
CoCa Cola-(The worlds most recognized product in the world)
Gone With Wind
Designing Women
Martin Luther King Jr/Civil Rights
Sherman's March to the Sea/Battle of Atlanta
The Birthplace of Gospel Music
CNN
The Music scene,Movie scene,etc.....

Not to mention Atlanta has more people that actually visit the city than any other major city in the South(minus Miami).Also more international visitors.

The Higher Education center of the South
More higher educated populace with BS degree or higher.
More Millionaires
Higher per capita incomes
Higher graduation rates
So NO,its not just and airport or Tyler Perry etc.....
So besides OIL and a higher GDP why does Houston stand out over Atlanta in the image and minds of Americans importance?Because thats the only thing that I keep hearing about Houstons so called most important ranking.
No, actually gospel music didnt originate form ATL, it originated somewhere in Illinois. Bronzeville I believe.

And check that millionaire thing again.

And all houstonians dont bring up that oil stuff, well sometimes i do...
but people really dont realize how great of a city we are...
and no, Im not trying to whine.
Its like that kid at school.That kid at school is good at things.
And all the other kids at school are also good at other things.But they always pick at the bad things that kid has.
you know what I mean??
Its like, people in the U.S. only see the bad.
And yall bring up the same shyt.
Like its one of the "FATTEST CITIES IN AMERICA"
or '' The freeways or dirty", or even stuff like how we have a million illegals, and thats why Houston is Big.
Maybe if you all could stop pointing out the bad, we could actually show you what we got.
Maybe If you all did see how important we are because of the oil we have,
we could maybe move on to a totally different subject.
And im not talking to everyone out there.
But all im trying to point out is Houston is actually a great city...
That has things others cities dont.
You see what im trying to say??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City