Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 06:30 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,152,174 times

Advertisements

Lmao @ all the Texans getting their panties in a bunch that Houston isn't on the same scale as LA and Chicago or something. Theres more to cities than just medical and oil companies. Think about how MANY more people know about Atlanta and Miami than Dallas and Houston. Those 2 cities I mentioned first are a lot more popular. I feel sorry for Houston, it really is an important city that never see's ANY shine at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 06:54 PM

765 posts, read 1,852,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston in the 4th Tier?? No way.

Houston is the most important city in the south no matter how you twist it. What knocks Houston's down is it's lack of influence through the media and publicity.

I refuse to acknowledge that Houston takes a backseat to Miami and Atlanta. No way in hell.

Home to 5 of the 6 supermajor oil companies?? Houston.

Which city is home to one of the World's largest/busiest ports and World's largest Medical Center?? Houston

Which city receives the most Homeland security funding in the south?? (Of course, the country is going to give the most funding to America's most important cities) Houston.

I think the list is based more on popularity than actual importance, because looking at the statistics and facts about these cities; the rankings don't add up outside of the top 3.

Call me biased, a booster, or whatever, but I still say Houston is the top player in the south.
Houston has some niche industries, but all cities do. Who cares about the world's largest medical center? There's still more hospitals and doctors in New York. In terms of medical rankings, Boston is #1 in the US.

I would put Houston on the level of Miami, DFW and Atlanta though. It's about the same size, has its own niche industry, and a busier port than all of them. I don't see why not.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:57 PM

^ Exactly, Houstonians gas the hell outta their city.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Lmao @ all the Texans getting their panties in a bunch that Houston isn't on the same scale as LA and Chicago or something. Theres more to cities than just medical and oil companies. Think about how MANY more people know about Atlanta and Miami than Dallas and Houston. Those 2 cities I mentioned first are a lot more popular. I feel sorry for Houston, it really is an important city that never see's ANY shine at all.
The guy disagreed the fact that Houston is not on MIAMI's and ATLANTA's level. Who said ANYTHING about LA and Chicago? It's funny how u put down a Houston "booster" when really, you are the ignorant one and you got the nerve to make an outrageous, unclaimed statement

Old 06-13-2010, 06:59 PM

^ I always have this feeling that if a Houston booster could put his city as high as LA and Chicago, he would.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,049,021 times
Quote:
^ I always have this feeling that if a Houston booster could put his city as high as LA and Chicago, he would.
Now what kind of sense does that make??? just stop.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:45 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,942,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Houston has some niche industries, but all cities do. Who cares about the world's largest medical center? There's still more hospitals and doctors in New York. In terms of medical rankings, Boston is #1 in the US.

I would put Houston on the level of Miami, DFW and Atlanta though. It's about the same size, has its own niche industry, and a busier port than all of them. I don't see why not.
Boston is number one for Medical research. Space City has the number one hospital, even though Boston has two in the top 10 (more than any other city).

And no, no one said below DFW, that's some weird misconception in this thread. DFW and Houston according to who ever make that tier 4 in their post are in the same tier. Atlanta & Miami are tier 3 (according to that poster).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To the audience of this post,

Whatever people, more than half of you are lifeless and that's the damn truth, live in your city, why the hell does all this BS make such an emotional break in everyone? I mean damn, is it affecting your life?

I'm starting to spend less time on city data in general, this site is full of liars, and emotional wrecks, people who get worked over "OMG my city is a Beta City, BUT WHY?!?! it should be an Alpha tier 1 city" grow up, live your life, and stop complaining. There's a reason experts who get paid to make these analysis are ranking these cities a certain way.
Then there are people who get worked up because of their political views, they hate the south because it's conservative and then try to mesh it and make it look like they hate the south for other reasons, same goes for people who hate on the west because of how liberal it is, and the counter attack from people who hate the Northeast because of well whatever that comes to their mind...

I'm fine with these rankings, if Chicago was at the bottom of the list at like the 7th tier, I'd be fine with it, one ranking doesn't affect my life whatsoever, and I know it doesn't affect 99% of the others who live in Chicagoland, so it's pointless to be crying over something whether your from Philadelphia, Boston, Houston, Miami... You want to criticize this post of mine, then do it, I really have no care in the world for what random online strangers think about me or my post.

Peace out.

Last edited by DANNYY; 06-14-2010 at 01:22 AM..

Old 06-14-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
It still doesn't justify your actions. I have no problem with Houston boosters, everyone needs to boost their own city. It becomes a problem when Houston boosters start putting their city with the likes of Chicago and LA, but I have not seen much of that at all lately.

In fact, it pisses me off more when an LA booster claims their city is on New York's level, when it's really neck and neck with Chicago, let alone match with a beast like New York.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:56 AM

^ Good points good points. Can't argue that.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
^ Good points good points. Can't argue that.
Cool, cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City