Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:58 AM

840 posts, read 2,079,759 times

Advertisements

Chattanooga, coming into the valley at night is simply breathtaking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 09:04 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,090,083 times
Cincinnati from I75 coming from KY, hands down. You round this empty bend and end up SURROUNDED by a 360 degree view of high rises, massive stadiums, bridges, and the Ohio River

Old 06-13-2010, 09:05 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,619,363 times
All the different tunnels you can take into Manhattan are priceless when you exit them. To be in a tunnel and arrive in Manahatan seeing all the skyscrapers around you is amazing. This is what makes NY unique Not many cities can say they have this:

I mentioned the Queensboro bridge, but if you take any of the tunnels going into the city, it's amazing to just pop into Manhattan suddenly out of one of the many tunnels seeing all the buildings. Especially seeing the Empire state building pop out of nowhere. Can't really do that in many other cities around the country, so that makes us unique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AewFOobPhkA

Old 06-13-2010, 10:16 AM

244 posts, read 566,437 times

Love these views

Old 06-13-2010, 05:26 PM

240 posts, read 533,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The answer is Pittsburgh approaching on I-376 from the west. Nothing else -- nothing else -- even comes close. The moment you exit the Fort Pitt Tunnel, you get blasted by a Pittsburgh skyline that you never saw coming.
Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Old 06-13-2010, 05:38 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,706,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
NYC, San Francisco, and Philadelphia. The rest do not compare.

Particularly driving into Manhattan from Queens on the Queensboro bridge. It's much nicer driving straight into midtown than the GW or Triboro bridge that take you into upper Manhattan. With the Queensboro bridge, it takes you smack dab into all the skyscrapers of midtown.
you already know.

and at night...

this cannot be put into words.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:48 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,875,051 times
I've always like driving south on Rt. 21 into Newark and taking the Schuylkill into Philly. Others include Atlantic City via 322 and Ocean City before the new 9th street bridge. I always liked how the ferris wheel looked as we came over the bridge.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:58 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,329,208 times
Seattle has some spectacular views going into the city from both I-5 southbound on the bridge (and there's usually horrendous traffic there, so you can slow down and admire it), and similarly on I-90 across the floating bridge (on a beautiful day like today, the view of actually driving on lake Washington and seeing the east side of the city is very beautiful, it made all my friends who've seen it go "oh man!"). Another view is across the West Seattle bridge, it's interesting to see the port in front of the city. Then of course, the drive to/from Alki Beach!!! AMAZING views of the city.

Seattle really is a beautiful city . I love living here.

Chicago has an OK view going downtown. Maybe since I grew up there I'm used to it.

Probably the least overwhelming drive is that going into St. Louis. If you approach from the IL side, going across East St. Louis, especially at night, it seems scary with very little light. During the day isn't much better since it's got an ugly, smelly brown river (hardly the city's fault, but it isn't aesthetically pleasing). The Arch overwhelms everything else in the city. Going westbound it feels like approaching a suburb.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 PM

10,731 posts, read 23,694,585 times
I like the approach into Washington DC coming from the south from the Capital Beltway/Springfield/95 Interchange coming up I-395 through Alexandria and Arlington past the Pentagon over the Potomac. It's a very urban approach and the tempo really picks up the closer you get to DC.

Driving I-5 through Seattle from the North and the South is very cool, beautiful drive.

Coming into San Francisco from the East Bay over the Bay Bridge west on I-80 is very dramatic, gorgeous views of the cityscape, hills, bridges, and the Bay.

Approaching NYC from Jersey or Long Island is exciting, the approach from the north from the Bronx/Westchester/Conn. not so good, down right ugly in fact.

Driving into Toronto is pretty exciting too. Coming from Montreal from east of the city on Hwy 401 is crazy, it is like an 18 lane highway devided into 4 linear highways, It puts LA and Houston to shame, I had no idea Toronto had such huge highways. Also driving along Toronto's lakeshore up the QEW approaching the city is a very cool sight to see. Very urban!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:43 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,177,677 times
Denver coming from the west over the mountains at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City