Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite City(s) To Dine?
Atlanta 7 15.56%
Boston 6 13.33%
Baltimore 1 2.22%
Charlotte 1 2.22%
Chicago 14 31.11%
Denver 1 2.22%
Detroit 1 2.22%
Dallas 4 8.89%
Houston 8 17.78%
Jacksonville 1 2.22%
Los Angeles 15 33.33%
Las Vegas 12 26.67%
Miami 12 26.67%
Memphis 3 6.67%
Orlando 8 17.78%
Philadelphia 5 11.11%
Seattle 7 15.56%
San Francisco 16 35.56%
Tampa 4 8.89%
Washington DC 5 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:18 PM

153 posts, read 380,674 times

Advertisements

World's top restaurant cities - USATODAY.com

Good article on what makes a city a top restaurant city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 08:10 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,619,363 times
Where is NYC?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:33 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,201,246 times
Wow people. Obviously NYC and N.O. got left off so include it geesh.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:12 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,452,416 times
Houston for Southern.
Miami for Cuban and Caribbean.
New Orleans for seafood, Creole, and Italian.
New York for fine dining and variety.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:31 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,951,444 times
New York, Chicago, San Francisco, New Orleans, Los Angeles, and Boston are my favorite food cities.

Detroit is also a great city to eat in, it is extremely underrated for food.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:05 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,755,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I voted Miami, Orlando, Boston, Chicago, Houston... realized as I pressed the button that San Fran was on the list but it was too late.

These two are ok, but at the top? Miami is cool but food isnt thei best attribute. Orlando is far too dominated by chains, even if there are high end chains.

My List in no particular order

NY
LA
Chicago
SF
Philly

Special mention to NOLA (because for what is does it is very special)

Next group to me would be

Boston
Houston
DC
Atlanta
Baltimore

I will also say I have had excellent meals in all the cities I listed

Old 06-13-2010, 07:28 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,764,457 times
^^^ I agree that those are the top cities from an objective, epicurean standpoint.

Personally, I like a city that can deliver top-notch dining as well as great "street food", both in abundance, so my list is:

New York
Montreal
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Chicago
Tampa
Miami
Albuquerque
Las Vegas
San Francisco
Philadelphia
Austin
Vancouver
Seattle
New Brunswick, NJ
New Orleans
Kansas City
Memphis

I have no idea why New Orleans and NYC are not on the list in the OP...Montreal would have been worth mentioning also.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:51 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,039,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
These two are ok, but at the top? Miami is cool but food isnt thei best attribute. Orlando is far too dominated by chains, even if there are high end chains.

My List in no particular order

NY
LA
Chicago
SF
Philly

Special mention to NOLA (because for what is does it is very special)

Next group to me would be

Boston
Houston
DC
Atlanta
Baltimore

I will also say I have had excellent meals in all the cities I listed
It asks for favorite restaurants to dine in, it doesn't ask for whats the bestest food anywhere.

The best dining experiences I've had are at the following-
Orlando
Saana at Disney Fort Wilderness Lodge (the new section of it) because it has terrific food and unlike the restaurant in the older section which is upstairs this one is at ground level looking out at the Safari. It was spectacular.

Seoul Garden has wonderful Korean food with a great staff that is always friendly and helpful and lets me try different side dishes, and they help me practice my Korean. This is in the local section of Orlando. And is just one of many great restaurant in the local area I like to eat at.

I haven't been in quite some time now but when it first opened Emeril's at CityWalk was fantastic and opened my eyes to a lot of foods I had never previously eaten. I just told myself - well if Emeril likes it I'll trust his opinion. Not sure if the quality has remained the same. It also had excellent service back then and I distinctly remember they brought all entrees simultaneously with 4 waiters so the dishes could actually be placed on the table at the same time. Very nice touches.

I don't eat at Chain restaurant, at all so there could be thousands of them it doesn't change that I don't eat at them.

Miami
Biltmore Hotel Brunch has everything in the world. And if its not already there they're world class chefs will make it for you. I don't know where they get their strawberries from - but they were sensational as was the caviar and everything else.

Sheba Ethiopian Restaurant in the Wynwood Art District. Great food, great atmosphere. Would love to go back here sometime. Can sit in traditional or american style tables. The food is all designed to be shared. Just a really fun time to go out with close friends for a nice meal.

Les Halles I once ate at in Coral Gables. Amazing French Food. Its owned by Anthony Bourdain though I didn't even know this at the time I went. Just saw a French Restaurant that had a good menu for acceptable prices.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:14 AM

153 posts, read 380,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Its owned by Anthony Bourdain though I didn't even know this at the time I went.
Doesn't mean much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City