Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think New York City's boroughs stand a fighting chance?
Yes, the boroughs have a competitive chance 51 56.04%
No, the boroughs don't stand any chance whatsoever 33 36.26%
I don't know enough about the boroughs to compare 7 7.69%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 06:19 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,935,989 times

Advertisements

This isn't about which one you would rather live in or which you like more. So save it for some other time when you get an opportunity to talk about that.

But this is about how each of the boroughs from New York city can fare against these other large cities. I want it to be more of a compare/contrast type of thing, because clearly one city/any city in the country can't really go head to head with New York City, remember we're not talking about which is better, we're just comparing and contrasting how these boroughs could fare against cities across America.

Manhattan- Los Angeles (the city of LA only, I know there's a huge population difference, but both are prime tourist spots- and media strongholds)

Brooklyn- Chicago (the city of Chicago only, we're not comparing the entire metro)

Queens- San Francisco (the city of San Francisco only, not the whole CSA)

The Bronx- Philadelphia (city of Philadelphia only, not the whole metro)

Stated Island- Cleveland (the city of Cleveland only)

I know Philadelphia is the closest feel to Manhattan but I think as for entertainment LA comes closer, which is why I picked it as that match up.

Remember, this isn't about which is better, this about how the boroughs can hold ground on the other cities (just the cities not their metros) and how they have an advantage/disadvantage over the cities.

Try to be civil about it, and stay on topic/constructive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 06:39 PM

765 posts, read 1,851,867 times
The Bronx vs Philly. I live in the Philly area and I have been to The Bronx numerous times. The Bronx is definitely more dense and bustling, the borough itself has many high-rise apartments while Philly is really flat outside of downtown.

I would choose Philadelphia because the city's area is so much larger than The Bronx providing more interesting locations. Philly has some vast gorgeous parks with hills and neighborhoods of low density. The Bronx is pretty small in area and packed up. I don't think there's as much variety of neighborhoods in the Bronx as there is in Philadelphia.

In terms of partying and other aspects, I do not know.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:44 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times
I would say no, b/c you can't really just take out manhattan... b/c the other boroughs would have had better downtowns and economies if not for manhattan so... hard to separate them.

would I personally want to live in the other boroughs, than the other cities, yes... but, that wasn't the question.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:42 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,957,937 times
Manhattan- Los Angeles: Manahttan

Brooklyn- Chicago; Chicago

Queens- San Francisco: SF

The Bronx- Philadelphia: Philly

Stated Island- Cleveland: Cleveland

Old 06-12-2010, 08:59 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,458,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Manhattan- Los Angeles: Manahttan

Brooklyn- Chicago; Chicago

Queens- San Francisco: SF

The Bronx- Philadelphia: Philly

Stated Island- Cleveland: Cleveland
whoa, there's a lot wrong with that.

how is SF like Queens? aside from diversity its very different..

and Chicago is not really BK, tha'ts more philly/boston

the Bronx - prolly N.Philly? but more brookly/queens

and SI? i've never been to Cleveland/ more a the newark metro area

Last edited by john_starks; 06-12-2010 at 09:08 PM..

Old 06-12-2010, 09:20 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,245,100 times
The boroughs don't feel like cities to me, there's no real skylines or a lot of distinction between them. There's no doubt that they stand a chance against other cities but they don't feel like cities. The cities mentioned have their own identity whereas the boroughs feel like NYC and the suburbs.

I will say both Brooklyn and Queens are reminiscent of Philadelphia and Baltimore.

Last edited by Infamous92; 06-12-2010 at 09:28 PM..

Old 06-12-2010, 09:51 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,753,724 times
I accidentally voted "IDK enough about the boroughs"
I probably know more about the boroughs than most people on here

I believe they can compare, they have a lot of culture and history.
Though the outer boroughs are heavily residential for the most part. Despite Brooklyn, none of the borough's have an actual downtown (Manhattan is the downtown of NYC per se). Nearby Jersey City has a more powerful job market than the outer boroughs... I'm probably opening a can of worms here because, *achem*, well, you know.

Staten Island is like Union County NJ.. SI is more suburban like to be able to compare to any major city if you ask me.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:58 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,753,724 times
Manhattan- Los Angeles: MANHATTAN

Brooklyn- Chicago: CHICAGO

Queens- San Francisco: SAN FRANCISCO

The Bronx- Philadelphia: PHILADELPHIA

Stated Island- Cleveland; CLEVELAND

Old 06-12-2010, 10:12 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,065,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I accidentally voted "IDK enough about the boroughs"
I probably know more about the boroughs than most people on here

I believe they can compare, they have a lot of culture and history.
Though the outer boroughs are heavily residential for the most part. Despite Brooklyn, none of the borough's have an actual downtown (Manhattan is the downtown of NYC per se). Nearby Jersey City has a more powerful job market than the outer boroughs... I'm probably opening a can of worms here because, *achem*, well, you know.

Staten Island is like Union County NJ.. SI is more suburban like to be able to compare to any major city if you ask me.
jersey city is its own city and one of the main representatives of the state of new jersey. IDK what it has to do with new york city and its boroughs

the boroughs can go against medium or small cities, theres no way brooklyn on its own can take on chicago or the bronx with philly. Theres nothing in bk like the loop or center city in the bronx. Manhattan serves as our main downtown

The boroughs can go up against any city in the united states big or small when it comes to hustle&bustle and vibrancy. I also think the boroughs can compete when it comes to neighborhoods aswell

Old 06-12-2010, 10:15 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Manhattan VS Los Angeles YES it is comparable and even then I THINK, MAYBE, MAYBE, Los Angeles comes out on top(Maybe). But the other boroughs just don't seem realistically comparable to those WHOLE cities OUTSIDE of population. I think population is the only comparable thing between the boroughs and the other cities, the other cities just have TOO MUCH going on for the boroughs to go up against them SEPARATELY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City