Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 AM

36,641 posts, read 67,264,742 times

Advertisements

The Bay Area has the best street food:

Bay Area Street Food, San Francisco, Oakland, Taco Trucks, Food Carts: Chefs + Restaurants : gourmet.com

Assortment of Spencer on the Go food, including lobster orange salad, escargot lollipops, skate cheeks, blue crab soup, and braised sweetbreads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 10:57 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,212,530 times
Some more street food you can get in SF:

hotdogs
bacon wrapped hot dogs
tamales
elotes (roasted corn on the cob, covered in butter, mayo, cheese, and chili)
tacos/burritos from taco trucks
ice cream from the many dudes with the little ice cream carts in the Mission

we also have many other kids of street food many of which are around on a less regular basis, but which cover tons of different cuisines...they show up at say, farmer markets, street fairs, some are just around on certain days of the week, etc...and you'll find the most of any street food in SF in the Mission District.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:19 PM

36,641 posts, read 67,264,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Some more street food you can get in SF:

hotdogs
bacon wrapped hot dogs
tamales
elotes (roasted corn on the cob, covered in butter, mayo, cheese, and chili)
tacos/burritos from taco trucks
ice cream from the many dudes with the little ice cream carts in the Mission

we also have many other kids of street food many of which are around on a less regular basis, but which cover tons of different cuisines...they show up at say, farmer markets, street fairs, some are just around on certain days of the week, etc...and you'll find the most of any street food in SF in the Mission District.
I made elotes last week...partly because of nostalgia for home(LOL)

I boiled sweet corn, added butter, then put mayo on, then rolled it in Parmesan cheese.(Didnt have any chili)

So good. LOL

Old 06-14-2010, 03:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,423,436 times
there are a crap load of taco trucks in the bay area...i know a lot in l.a. too...other than that i'd go with ny and chicago. I'd actually like to go to the taco truck instead of a restaurant. they usually have a few plastic tables outside anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I made elotes last week...partly because of nostalgia for home(LOL)

I boiled sweet corn, added butter, then put mayo on, then rolled it in Parmesan cheese.(Didnt have any chili)

So good. LOL
I usually do those on the grill in aluminum foil like that, very good.

mango with chili is also really good.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:27 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,706,953 times
i'm hungry.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:50 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,053,158 times
I'm really surprised Chicago is getting mentioned so much, especially since they banned street food vendors many years back.

For a city our size, Milwaukee has quite a better than average street food selection. In fact, our very own Street-Za Pizza made GQ's list of the 10 Best Food Trucks in America.

The 10 Best Food Trucks: Restaurants + Bars: GQ

Old 06-14-2010, 07:25 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,773,971 times
Nyc

Old 06-14-2010, 07:34 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,160,789 times
Quote:

Bay Area Street Food, San Francisco, Oakland, Taco Trucks, Food Carts: Chefs + Restaurants : gourmet.com

Assortment of Spencer on the Go food, including lobster orange salad, escargot lollipops, skate cheeks, blue crab soup, and braised sweetbreads.
Can I just get a damn hotdog? Lmao..

Old 06-14-2010, 07:55 PM

153 posts, read 380,674 times
Quote:

Absolument fantastique. A bon vivant's cart fantasy, if he ever had one.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:08 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,212,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Can I just get a damn hotdog? Lmao..
That's the beauty of the Bay Area...you can get sweetbreads as street food AND you can get hot dogs for street food (or tacos, corn on the cob, pretzels, belgian waffles, the list goes on). Something for everyone! For SF, there are hot dog stands downtown, in Fisherman's wharf, and in Golden Gate park. You can also get bacon-wrapped hotdogs at stands in the Mission District. I will say that despite the diversity in street food around here, there still could be MORE of it. There are a few neighborhoods where it's common, but a whole lot more with none to speak of.

Last edited by rah; 06-14-2010 at 11:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City