Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 11:54 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,254,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
There is no shortage of Notable Oaklanders, many of whom actually live in Oakland as well.

Musicians and Singers
Tupac Shakur – rapper, songwriter, poet, actor, activist, lived in Oakland from 1988 to 1991
List of people from Oakland, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
tupac lived in ny until he was like 15 years old, then lived in baltimore until he was 17, and then moved to marin city, ca. tupac is definitely ny despite the spat with a few artists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 PM

10,086 posts, read 9,880,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
tupac lived in ny until he was like 15 years old, then lived in baltimore until he was 17, and then moved to marin city, ca. tupac is definitely ny despite the spat with a few artists.
moved to baltimore when he was 17 and left when he was 18.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:18 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,166,717 times
NinetiesFlava, Dt. SJ has a shark tank and Tech museum and Oakland has almost nothing.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:59 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,412,372 times
I never know whether you're joking or not...

Old 03-02-2011, 02:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,754,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
NinetiesFlava, Dt. SJ has a shark tank and Tech museum and Oakland has almost nothing.
Not: DTO has:
  • Oakland Museum of CA (which is one of the best museum experiences in the Bay)
  • Mocha (the kids museum)
  • Lake Merritt Attractions:
    • Children's Fairy Land
    • Bonsai Garden
  • African American Library/Museum
  • Jack London Square/the Waterfront
  • Kaiser roof garden (which is really great actually, and completely unknown)
  • USS Potomac
  • Chinatown

And then you can finish up an architecture tour:

San Jose, unfortunately tore down a lot of its classic and historic buildings in downtown, it does have the Egyptian museum, the Japanese Tea Garden and Christmas in the Park these are good attractions. Still find downtown San Jose pretty boring though. Well most of San Jose. Considering SJ has a million people, there isn't much going on downtown. Oakland only has 400k.

Last edited by jade408; 03-02-2011 at 02:14 PM..

Old 03-02-2011, 11:06 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,695,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not: DTO has:
  • Oakland Museum of CA (which is one of the best museum experiences in the Bay)
  • Mocha (the kids museum)
  • Lake Merritt Attractions:
    • Children's Fairy Land
    • Bonsai Garden
  • African American Library/Museum
  • Jack London Square/the Waterfront
  • Kaiser roof garden (which is really great actually, and completely unknown)
  • USS Potomac
  • Chinatown

And then you can finish up an architecture tour:

San Jose, unfortunately tore down a lot of its classic and historic buildings in downtown, it does have the Egyptian museum, the Japanese Tea Garden and Christmas in the Park these are good attractions. Still find downtown San Jose pretty boring though. Well most of San Jose. Considering SJ has a million people, there isn't much going on downtown. Oakland only has 400k.

^couldn't have said it better.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,536,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I'm from the south bay (Redwood City) and have been living in Oakland for about a year now.
Redwood City is considered "The Peninsula" (as is anything in San Mateo County), not the South Bay. That said while I like Baltimore a lot I'd choose Oakland. It would be a lot easier for me to adjust to.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:21 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,695,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Redwood City is considered "The Peninsula" (as is anything in San Mateo County), not the South Bay. That said while I like Baltimore a lot I'd choose Oakland. It would be a lot easier for me to adjust to.

Depends who you're talking to. Mountain View is considered the south bay by all, Palo Alto by most and Menlo Park by some. You could say that the South bay starts at the Santa Clara County line but then if you look at a map:

Redwood City is on the peninsula but its also right next to the southern tip of the bay. Some people I know use the term peninsula/south bay interchangeably for the region, thus why where's plenty of shops with "South Bay" in the name in Redwood City.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:33 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,754,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Depends who you're talking to. Mountain View is considered the south bay by all, Palo Alto by most and Menlo Park by some. You could say that the South bay starts at the Santa Clara County line but then if you look at a map:

Redwood City is on the peninsula but its also right next to the southern tip of the bay. Some people I know use the term peninsula/south bay interchangeably for the region, thus why where's plenty of shops with "South Bay" in the name in Redwood City.

I call them all South Bay, Peninsula or not. South Bay to me = anything over 40 miles and in a southern direction from Oakland. Fremont counts for me too. These days everyone I meet from MV claims peninsula.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:17 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,536,664 times
South Bay is Santa Clara County. Period. The only gray area for me is as you said - Fremont. I know its Alameda County/East Bay but it feels like "South Bay".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City