Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 AM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

So, which city do you think is better for someone between the ages of 25-35? Here is a list of factors to consider. It is by no means exhaustive.

Job Market/Career Prospects
Cost of Living
Real Estate
Dating
Nightlife
Social Networking
Diversity*
Cultural/Other (parks, theaters, restaurants, etc)

*By diversity, not only do I mean large populations of one race or ethnic group, but also socioeconomic diversity within a race or ethnic group. I doubt many black professionals would consider Detroit an attractive destination, for example, even though the city is 90% black. By diversity, I also mean interspersion of different groups in various social settings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 01:56 PM

7 posts, read 18,487 times
LA is better for 20-somethings. The city has very youthful population.
New York is better for 30-somethings. There are more older singles in New York.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatcity View Post
LA is better for 20-somethings. The city has very youthful population.
New York is better for 30-somethings. There are more older singles in New York.
What makes it better?

Old 06-14-2010, 03:32 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Job Market/Career Prospects: New York City

Cost of Living: Los Angeles

Real Estate: Prime investment would be New York City

Dating: Both actually, but New York City with an edge.

Nightlife: New York City

Social Networking: Huh? You can do this where ever you live, making friends and such can happen anymore, depending mostly on you and not the city.

Diversity*: Both, New York City would have a more mixed feel to it though.

Cultural/Other (parks, theaters, restaurants, etc): New York City has a good lead on this, normally New York City excels greatly in these category.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Social Networking: Huh? You can do this where ever you live, making friends and such can happen anymore, depending mostly on you and not the city.
It is more of a challenge to meet people in some cities than others. In DC, there are always fundraisers, receptions, alumni events, etc that make it incredibly easy to meet people within your age and socioeconomic demographic. I'm not sure if the same would be true of Pittsburgh, for example.

And what, in your opinion, makes NYC's nightlife better?

Old 06-14-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It is more of a challenge to meet people in some cities than others. In DC, there are always fundraisers, receptions, alumni events, etc that make it incredibly easy to meet people within your age and socioeconomic demographic. I'm not sure if the same would be true of Pittsburgh, for example.

And what, in your opinion, makes NYC's nightlife better?
The vibrancy in general. Clubs & Bars do all they can to boost a city to a great night life, but the vibrancy of people being around and being packed in the same area. Creates a thrill. You can expect some great things from a city like that.

Take this for example, I know Houston & Chicago well, but it's not the bars, clubs, places that make my night life experience in Chicago better than Houston's, it's the fact that the locations for all these things are in vibrant areas. You'll see thousands upon thousands of people there/near there/outside of there in Chicago. They can walk in & out of a bar, club, whatever easily.

In Houston, just like Los Angeles, both being large cities don't have that urban vibrancy to compete with it.

Despite all that, IMHO Los Angeles still has a great night life. But New York City has better, IMO.

Don't know, just my $.02 on this.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:50 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
I know people get annoyed with the argument about "density", but in this case I think it is actually relevant to the argument. New York has a lot more people living in a much smaller area...it increases your options.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I know people get annoyed with the argument about "density", but in this case I think it is actually relevant to the argument. New York has a lot more people living in a much smaller area...it increases your options.
Yeahhh, that's what I was saying in my last post also. The vibrancy is complimented by the city's density.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:57 PM

I'm actually considering a change of scenery. I currently live in DC and grew up in Philly. DC has been great insofar as the ability to meet lots of new people. This stands in stark contrast to Philadelphia. Even though Philly's a big city, it seems that every social event I go to is a Central High School reunion. Philadelphians, for the most part, stay there, buy houses in neighborhoods slightly better than the ones they grew up in, and then die there. Not too many strivers. That's why I asked about the social networking aspect of Los Angeles.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:03 PM

9 posts, read 17,099 times
New York City!

So many hot (and rich) men roaming on the streets.

Models, Investment Bankers, CEOs, Athletes. I work in fashion and you would not believe the gorgeous men I work with. Sure, many may be gay but at least I get to drool. Where's the harm in that? And the wealthy clients we get to meet. It's so easy to get a gorgeous Banker strolling down Midtown Avenue in Ferragamo shoes to buy you drinks! And Gucci! And honey, I can't swing a Prada bag without hitting something gorgeous, tall and Latin.

And the finance guys. Removed by moderator - inappropriate comment. Keep it PG-13 please.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 06-21-2010 at 07:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City