Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you pick?? Houston or New Orleans
Houston 124 47.51%
New Orleans 119 45.59%
Neither;I'd rather put needles in my eyes because I'm just that pathetic. 18 6.90%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 05:28 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I think it's ignorant to say that crime didn't spike once the Katrina evacuees came. It did and the facts prove that. I was in high school and there were some fights between Houston and New Orleans people. There was a couple from NO pretending to need shelter, and they then robbed and killed an old lady, etc. Many other stories. Even History Channel's Gangland had an episode on it. Now, crime did go back down towards the middle of 2006 and kept decreasing/fluctuating to where it is now.
A 10% iincrease in population is going to automatically increase crime, that's common sense. The thing is people want to ignore the fact that crime was already rising in Houston before Katrina and that crime (specifically involving evacuees) was magnified after the storm. If I'm not mistaken crime spiked nationwide between 2004-2006
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 03:49 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post

I've never been too Houston, but I've been to NO, and based on the things I've heard about Houston-- New Orleans FTW.
Well it's true, Houston isn't for those who want to have a wild and crazy spring break, or those who want to marvel at history, or those who want to craze in fashion, or those who want to shop till they literally drop...
Those things, you do those in Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, Miami, Dallas (fashion and shopping part)...but...

But Houston does have an above average shopping scene, an above average history with San Jacinto and Huntsville, a way above average number of ethnicities and food options, above average Kemah Boardwalk, average beaches (not Galveston- but some of the other islands you can take a Ferry too), an above average road system, an above average suburban area, an way above average landscape (woods, prairie's, beaches, marshlands, lakes, everything besides mountains).

But what it excels in is;
- The ability to own a fabulous home
- The opportunity to own a business hassle free
- Attend UT great Medical schools
- Rice University (like 7-8 major cities can say they have a better overall university(s), and only a limited few can say they have it in their city limits)
- Great Tex-Mex
- Friendly people, (trust me, a South Asian Midwestern kid like myself would hate a redneck city- thankfully it isn't- that would be rural Texas...lol)

The terrains for Houston:

Marshland:

Wooded Area:

Prairie:

Beaches:

Swamp (It's not attractive, but I have to be fair and show the good-bad-and ugly):

Lakes:

Hills (Yes Northwest Houston Metropolitan area has Hills):

Rivers:

Park:

Okay, I know people say Houston metropolitan area is flat, and for the most part it is, but not all of it Northwest portion and portions north of the Cleveland (suburban Houston) area are not..

Some Images of stuff in Houston Metropolitan area:

Skyline Downtown:

Skyline Uptown:

Texas Medical Center Skyline (2 years ago- it's going through a construction boom present day):

Greenway Plaza Skyline:

Houston Skylines combined (most of it- not all):

Neighborhoods:

(This isn't including the downtown skyline- just everything else from Midtown):

http://welovehoustontx.com/resources/The+Woodlands+at+night.jpg (broken link)
http://www.tcwoodlandsrealty.com/images/deck_view_380px3.jpg (broken link)

Some other stuff:
http://www.conroelakeandhome.com/images/woodlandsmall.jpg (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/dd/Houstonpavilion.jpg/650px-Houstonpavilion.jpg (broken link)

Well, lol, I kind of got tired of posting pictures, otherwise I would have posted all the other cool stuff too.

I don't know, I just visited Indianapolis and Detroit the last few days, I had a great time in both. My family living in Plymouth (Detroit suburb) have beautiful scenery, we saw great things in Detroit. Not once did I think about the things I have heard about it while I was out having fun there. I just never go off by things people say, I mean yeah Houston is no Chicago (Houston is Houston, Chicago is Chicago), but it's plenty fun!! And when you get into the beautiful areas of Houston, you'll love it. Most people 'visiting" Houston don't ever get around to that.... lol
People say Indianapolis is boring and has nothing to do, but I found stuff to do there, wasn't the most fun place I have ever been too, but it sure wasn't boring.

By the way, not calling you out on anything in this post BP, but your post gave me a chance to post pictures!! Anyways, Houston's one of those places that people either love/hate. If you come from dense style city, chances are you'll hate it, if you come from a city with more than 6 million people chances are you'll hate it, if you come from a city where the weather pattern is different chances are you'll hate it. But for the most part, the city is great, great food, people, stuff to do.

Last edited by DANNYY; 06-21-2010 at 04:18 AM..

Old 07-19-2010, 11:25 AM

19 posts, read 56,701 times
Well, FOR ME NEW ORLEANS ALL THE WAY...the cities just don't compare. If you have a family and want to live a standard life with 2.5 kids, a dog, and a car in the garage then Houston is for you. If you like a city that oozes art, history, beautiful architecture, and adventure at every turn then new orleans is for you. New Orleans has more of a new yorkish type feel whereas Houston is just a bunch of houses, stores, and buildings connected with roads. You can go to downtown HOUSTON and not see ANYONE IN THE STREETS..In New Orleans there's always people in the streets walking and doing whatever...New Orleans is unpredictable and spontaneous! Houston is routine and for soccer moms. Two different lifestyles! Furthermore, people keep saying that Houston is so diverse...It's diverse alright, BUT THE DIFFERENT CULTURES DON'T INTERACT...everyone is SEPARATED! So, don't expect it be like New York. In New Orleans, for a southern city, the everyone gets along and blends relatively well. I lived in both these cities by the way.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 AM

19 posts, read 56,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTChrisF View Post
Sorry but New Orleans is overrated
that's because you probably only know the tourist things..HAVE YOU BEEN TO REAL NEW ORLEANS? TREME, BYWATER? HAVE YOU ACTUALLY BEEN TO LOCALS HOUSES AND ATE THE FOOD OR DID YOU GO TO LAGASSES (A TOURIST SPOT). Real New Orleans, Tourists New Orleans, and Media New Orleans are three different things.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkik15 View Post
Furthermore, people keep saying that Houston is so diverse...It's diverse alright, BUT THE DIFFERENT CULTURES DON'T INTERACT...everyone is SEPARATED! So, don't expect it be like New York. In New Orleans, for a southern city, the everyone gets along and blends relatively well. I lived in both these cities by the way.
I agree. It may not be true in numbers, but New Orleans feels 100x more diverse than Houston and a couple of other 5,000,000+ cities. Even in the suburbs of N.O. it's nothing to see a large amount of people with different ethnicities, cultures, accents, and languages in the grocery store or just walking down the street. In Houston sometimes I feel like unless I'm at an event or some major public area, I'd have to go looking for people who weren't one of the Big 3 ethnicities.

Also like you said, the interaction between different groups is much more noticeable in the bigger southern cities where they tend to stick to themselves. Even Miami, hell.

Quote:
Real New Orleans, Tourists New Orleans, and Media New Orleans are three different things.
^Couldn't have said that better.
Media New Orleans = Crime infested, partially submerged ****hole aka Baghdad on the Bayou.
Tourist New Orleans = Overwhelmingly southern city, with liquor and breasts on every corner and all the decadence/debauchery imaginable.
Real New Orleans = Best kept secret on earth. It's not that southern, it's not that crazy, and it's not that dangerous.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:45 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Not really...

Shreveport looks like Tyler's big brother. You just don't see that many, if any pine trees in North Texas (Dallas area).

As for New Orleans vs. Houston I pick H-town. The quality of life is much better & the people actually act civilized. You wouldn't ever see looting & shooting at first aid responders in Houston if a natural disaster were ever to occur.
What an ignorant and unwarranted post.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:58 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I think it's ignorant to say that crime didn't spike once the Katrina evacuees came. It did and the facts prove that. I was in high school and there were some fights between Houston and New Orleans people. There was a couple from NO pretending to need shelter, and they then robbed and killed an old lady, etc. Many other stories. Even History Channel's Gangland had an episode on it. Now, crime did go back down towards the middle of 2006 and kept decreasing/fluctuating to where it is now.
Use Katrina evacuees as the scape goat for why Houston crime rate was so high. We also recieved a fair amount of Katrina victims in DFW but we didn't blame our rise in crime on them. We had those same problems up this way but to a lesser degree. The majority of New Orleans residents acted very nice and respectful and to label them as uncivilized and the problem is dead WRONG.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:13 PM

Some aerials... You can see the Gulf of Mexico/Lake Pontchartrain in the background of the third picture.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:27 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,473,508 times
New Orleans I really wouldnt want to go to NO right now because of "the spill"

Old 07-19-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo freak View Post
New Orleans I really wouldnt want to go to NO right now because of "the spill"
Other than some overpriced oysters and shrimp small enough to be the ones available inland, you wouldn't know the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City