Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle Of The Bays
San Francisco Bay (Oakland, San Jose) 34 87.18%
Tampa Bay (St. Petersburg, Clearwater) 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:22 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times

Advertisements

San Fran - hard to beat it anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 12:54 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,209,973 times
I wouldn't dare consider living in earthquake prone San Francisco

Old 06-15-2010, 12:57 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
I wouldn't dare consider living in earthquake prone San Francisco
Instead you live in hurricane laden Central FL.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Instead you live in hurricane laden Central FL.
Point? I'd take a hurricane which is less destructive than an earthquake any day. Lived through several.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:53 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,986 times
Quote:
Point? I'd take a hurricane which is less destructive than an earthquake any day. Lived through several.
I've lived here in SF for 32 years. I couldn't tell you how many earthquakes I've lived through, because most of them I haven't even felt. There was one big one 21 years ago. 99% of all the earthquakes here are non-destructive movement of the Earth. You're buying into stereotypes if you think that earthquakes are more destructive in the long run than hurricanes. Key West and Katrina trumped the '89 SF and '94 LA quakes in terms of damage by a long shot, and destructive hurricanes are much more common than destructive earthquakes in the US. I understand why it would seem scary to you, but to us out here we'd take an earthquake over a hurricane or a tornado any day. Its all a matter of perception.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:58 PM

593 posts, read 1,761,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Natural Beauty - SF Bay
Skylines - SF Bay
Things To Do - SF Bay
Professional Sports - SF Bay
Proximity To Other Cities - Tampa Bay
Beaches - Tampa Bay
Better Lifestyle - SF Bay
History - SF Bay
Modern Architecture - SF Bay

SF Bay FTW.
Not sure how Tampa gets proximity to other cities.

The Bay Area has San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, Berkeley, etc akk within a very short distance from each other and Sacramento is less than a couple hours away.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I've lived here in SF for 32 years. I couldn't tell you how many earthquakes I've lived through, because most of them I haven't even felt. There was one big one 21 years ago. 99% of all the earthquakes here are non-destructive movement of the Earth. You're buying into stereotypes if you think that earthquakes are more destructive in the long run than hurricanes. Key West and Katrina trumped the '89 SF and '94 LA quakes in terms of damage by a long shot, and destructive hurricanes are much more common than destructive earthquakes in the US. I understand why it would seem scary to you, but to us out here we'd take an earthquake over a hurricane or a tornado any day. Its all a matter of perception.

LOL yeah I am going off of stereotypes. I just don't think I can handle the ground moving. At least hurricanes you get a warning thats my thing about it.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,986 times
Quote:
LOL yeah I am going off of stereotypes. I just don't think I can handle the ground moving. At least hurricanes you get a warning thats my thing about it.
Yeah that's true, I agree with you there. The warnings are helpful, and when it comes to earthquakes you never know when they're gonna hit so that part is definitely scarier.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:05 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
  • Natrual Beauty: Bay Area (SF Bay Area)
  • Skylines Bay Area (SF Bay Area)
  • Overall Things To Do: Subjective, but I like my options of Bay Area, California more.
  • Professional Sports: Wasn't it in 2002 when the Buccaneers played against the Raiders? Talk about interesting match up. Anyways, Bay Area, California!
  • Proximity To Other Cities: Tampa Bay
  • Pacific Beaches or Gulf Beaches (Minus Oil Occurance): Tampa Bay
  • Better Life Style: Subjective, but I'm more for Bay Area, California
  • History: San Jose, San Francisco, and Oakland have rich history.
  • Modern Architecture: Bay Area, California

Which is the better Bay? Subjective.

The one I prefer more is Bay Area, California. I have close family there, I always find great things to do there. It was an easy decision for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post

The Bay Area has San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, Berkeley, etc akk within a very short distance from each other and Sacramento is less than a couple hours away.
Those cities are in the Bay Area and don't count because they are being used to compare the two areas.

Sacramento is the only other major city the Bay Area is near. And yes, I am saying major city.

Tampa Bay area has close proximity to Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville. Only being quick drives. Bay Area to Portland or Los Angeles is quite a long drive.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:08 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post

We're comparing metro areas and all those cities u listed with the exception of Sac are in the same metro and basically suburbs of SF. As far metro area Tampa is closer to more interesting cities imo. Sac and Reno are the only metro areas under 4 hours of the bay area. Miami and Orlando blow both of them out of the water imo.

Overall the bay area offers so much more but I really envy the warm, laid back environment, and beaches of the tampa bay area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City