Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:22 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times

Advertisements

California:
San Diego
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Oakland
Long Beach
Riverside
Fresno
Sacramento

New York
New York City
Rochester
Syracuse
Buffalo

Texas
San Antonio
Dallas
Fort Worth
Houston
Austin

Florida:
Miami
Ft. Lauderdal
St. Pete
Tampa
Jacksonville
Orlando
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 12:34 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And beyond Charlotte or RDU (to most they think of it as one place) How are Asheville and Winston Salem that much more on a national scale, seriously, nothing against them

Based on your criteria I would say only 4 states qualify CA, TX, FL, and OH - Dont think NC really has 3 on that national level

I would also scratch Toledo and Dayton from OH but there would still be 3 left
I did scratch off Toledo and Dayton from my list and I was hesitant but decided Winston-Salem could be included. You're probably right, it probably shouldn't.

But Tennessee definitely makes the cut with Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville in my opinion.

Pennsylvania if anything I would say it might make the list for Philly, Pittsburgh, Amish Country but I don't even know what city Amish Country is technically in and doubt anyone else does either.

Oh here's one though Reno, Lake Tahoe, Las Vegas for Nevada - I guess when you only have 3 cities its easy to have them all be known.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:40 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,159 times
1. Orlando, Miami, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, St. Petersburg, jacksonville, Pensacola, Panama City, Key West, Clearwater, Miami Beach, Daytona Beach - I'm quite sure this cities are more well known and can offer more to all ages than any other stack of cities in the country. (JUST MY OPINION)
2. Cali- L.A. San Francisco, Oakland, San Diego, Sacramento, Long Beach,San Jose, Fresno, Palm Springs.
3. Texas - Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, El Palso, Ft Worth, Ummm Galveston, and South Padre
4. Ohio - Cleveland, Cincinatii, Columbus, Dayton, Toledo, Akron
5. Tennessee - Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, Chatanooga

Old 06-17-2010, 01:08 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
People seem to be listing states with lots of cities in them. I think the thread starter is asking for states with the greatest variety of cities in culture, not just states with lots of well known cities.
Using the criteria, I'd say Cali , NY, PA, OH and TX.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:17 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
The ones that stand out are California, Texas, and Florida.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:36 PM

101 posts, read 275,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Yes but as you said they are overlooked so who cares. I look at maps and geography all the time and I've barely heard of those Pennsylvania cities. Unless I completely misunderstood the post I just don't see it, nor do I see what point population plays in this thread. Most people in the country have heard of Hollywood despite it not even being a city, same thing with Brooklyn. Lancaster, Pennsylvania - not so much.
I understand your point, esp. based on the OP's criteria. However, for geography and map enthusiasts, most would know Lancaster. And if you've never been you are missing one of the most unique place in America. It is absolutely beautiful and almost like stepping back in time.

Anyway, looks like our California is tops, which makes sense. Living in the Bay Area but visiting SoCal every summer, it's amazing that the two places are in the same state given that they have completely different vibes.

I would give Florida a slight edge over Texas in the 2nd spot, especially if you consider interntational recognition (namely Orlando.)

NC and PA are the only other states that, in my opinion, have more than one extremely well-kown metro area. Most are one-city states, like IL with Chicago, NY with NYC, Arizona with Pheonix, Washington with Seattle, etc...

Old 06-17-2010, 02:53 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
People seem to be listing states with lots of cities in them. I think the thread starter is asking for states with the greatest variety of cities in culture, not just states with lots of well known cities.
Using the criteria, I'd say Cali , NY, PA, OH and TX.
What are the 3 major cities in NY and PA that are known nationwide?

Old 06-17-2010, 02:59 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

NY--NYC, Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany, Binghamton???

PA--Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Hershey, Scranton (now known because of The Office), Harrisburg???

Any of those ring a bell? Most people in the country have heard of these places.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:00 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
1. Orlando, Miami, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, St. Petersburg, jacksonville, Pensacola, Panama City, Key West, Clearwater, Miami Beach, Daytona Beach - I'm quite sure this cities are more well known and can offer more to all ages than any other stack of cities in the country. (JUST MY OPINION)
2. Cali- L.A. San Francisco, Oakland, San Diego, Sacramento, Long Beach,San Jose, Fresno, Palm Springs.
3. Texas - Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, El Palso, Ft Worth, Ummm Galveston, and South Padre
4. Ohio - Cleveland, Cincinatii, Columbus, Dayton, Toledo, Akron
5. Tennessee - Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, Chatanooga
I appreciate how much you've tried to stack the deck in favor of your home state , but if you think cities like St. Petersburg, Clearwater, and Pensacola are that well known, then surely there are some California cities that you didn't mention that are equally or more well known. To your list, I'd add Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Malibu, Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Berkeley, Lake Tahoe, Orange County (includes multiple cities, but still very well known). Overall I like your list, but I gotta show my home state some love and show you why it deserves to be ahead of Florida, not behind it (at least in my opinion).

I'd also add Austin and Corpus Christi to the Texas list.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:02 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
NY- NYC, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany. 3 of these metros are over 1 million people
PA- Pittsburgh, Philly, Scranton, Allentown, Erie

There is a great variety in culture between many of those cities. Even if you don't know much about those cities, they are heard of nation wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City