Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Important?
Atlanta Area 94 48.96%
Dallas Area 24 12.50%
Houston Area 50 26.04%
Miami Area 24 12.50%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 05:45 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

I made this argument three years ago in the very long capital of the South thread. There is no capital of the South. There is however a center of the South. What chiatldal just said is basically what I said. Atlanta is the center of the South. Meaning, it has more connections to the majority of the South than Houston, Dallas, or Miami ever could. Historically, Economically, Socially, Atlanta is in the mind of most Southerners though not necessarily all.

Miami's influence does not leave Central Florida.

Houston's influence is South Texas and points east through Southern Louisiana and Southern Mississippi.

Dallas influence is North Texas and points east through Northern Louisiana, Northern Mississippi, Southern and Central Arkansas, Oklahoma, and you can make an argument for Western Tennessee but it's minimal at best.

Atlanta covers all of Georgia, Alabama, overlaps with Houston and Dallas in Mississippi, South Carolina, Western North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, and North Florida.

This does not mean Atlanta is more important than the other three. It means Atlanta has more connections in the region than the other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 05:46 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,209,678 times
Lets just make Texas its own region and call Houston the capital of it and Florida its own region and call Miami Hands down the capital of it.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Technically; the south extends past I-35. Areas like Lubbock, Amarillo, Abilene, and more are western south; not Houston and Dallas. Those parts of Texas have much more in common with the south than the west or the southwest. You don't get that western feel until you enter the trans-pecos region.
I don't know how long it will stay that way. Each passing year, the cities become more and more like the West and it's showing in Houston and Dallas as well though very slowly.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't know how long it will stay that way. Each passing year, the cities become more and more like the West and it's showing in Houston and Dallas as well though very slowly.
Abilene and Lubbock are two of the most conservative cities in the state of Texas. You have exceptions in that area, but the southern culture dominates still (imo). The only reason Dallas and Houston are changing is due to the large influx of transplants compared to cities in West Texas and the Panhandle.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:53 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
see spade, you were kinda on point with your last post, but then you said this ^^^^ lol.....no, but houston and dallas aren't becoming the west any quicker than atlanta's becoming the east coast

Old 06-19-2010, 05:58 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,209,678 times
Quote:
I made this argument three years ago in the very long capital of the South thread. There is no capital of the South. There is however a center of the South. What chiatldal just said is basically what I said. Atlanta is the center of the South. Meaning, it has more connections to the majority of the South than Houston, Dallas, or Miami ever could. Historically, Economically, Socially, Atlanta is in the mind of most Southerners though not necessarily all.

Miami's influence does not leave Central Florida.

Houston's influence is South Texas and points east through Southern Louisiana and Southern Mississippi.

Dallas influence is North Texas and points east through Northern Louisiana, Northern Mississippi, Southern and Central Arkansas, Oklahoma, and you can make an argument for Western Tennessee but it's minimal at best.

Atlanta covers all of Georgia, Alabama, overlaps with Houston and Dallas in Mississippi, South Carolina, Western North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, and North Florida.

This does not mean Atlanta is more important than the other three. It means Atlanta has more connections in the region than the other cities.
great Point

Old 06-19-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Abilene and Lubbock are two of the most conservative cities in the state of Texas. You have exceptions in that area, but the southern culture dominates still (imo). The only reason Dallas and Houston are changing is due to the large influx of transplants compared to cities in West Texas and the Panhandle.
Just because it's conservative does not mean the Southern culture still dominates. Some of the most conservative cities in the nation reside in the interior West. You also forget that Dallas and Houston is changing because of the large influx of Californians, Washingtonians, and Oregoneons or w/e they call themselves.

Quote:
no, but houston and dallas aren't becoming the west any quicker than atlanta's becoming the east coast
Well I didn't mean that Houston and Dallas will become Western cities. But that they could be as controversial in the coming decades like Miami or Washington is now simply because they are on the edge of the South. Atlanta does not have that problem if you must call it that.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:05 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Just because it's conservative does not mean the Southern culture still dominates. Some of the most conservative cities in the nation reside in the interior West. You also forget that Dallas and Houston is changing because of the large influx of Californians, Washingtonians, and Oregoneons or w/e they call themselves.
Your right about the conservative thing, but still the south dominates in that area. It felt much more southern than western. I got family in Midland, Odessa, and Big Springs; so I visit quite often.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Your right about the conservative thing, but still the south dominates in that area. It felt much more southern than western. I got family in Midland, Odessa, and Big Springs; so I visit quite often.
I understand but at the same time. There is a major difference from Midland and say Meridian, Mississippi. At the same time, Meridian, Mississippi is essentially the same as Florence, South Carolina, if anyone can see what I'm saying.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
great Point
Here is one of my posts I was talking about in that thread.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/5381698-post63.html

hdwell also had a great post in that thread.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/5396654-post86.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City